13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2008 11:09 AM by Jeff Bellune RSS

Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder

Community Member
      Hello,
      I just built a new computer and installed Adobe CS3 Production Premium, with all the updates (Premiere Pro 3.2).
      I'm editing a project with DVCPRO HD 720p clips.
      When I try to open the Adobe Media Encoder, Premiere freezes, and I'm forced to restart the whole computer. (The task manager doesn't help.)
      It seems to be random too- sometimes it'll open, sometimes not. But mostly not.
      Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Windows XP Pro SP3
      EVGA nForce 750i mobo
      Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
      4GB ram (3gb usable, sigh)
      GeForce 9800 GT
      X-Fi
      500GB system drive and two 500GB media drives (all with plenty of free space)
        • 1. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
          Jeff Bellune ACP
          >Premiere freezes, and I'm forced to restart the whole computer. (The task manager doesn't help.)

>X-Fi

This behavior is typical of a crash with Creative Soundblaster audio hardware installed and in use. The app crashes and you can't kill it in Task Manager because the Creative drivers won't let go of the audio resources.

What type of audio is in the clips? In the project?
          • 2. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
            Community Member
            All the video and audio is in .mxf format (shot with a Panasonic HVX200 camera on P2 cards).

The weird thing though- I brought the X-Fi card over from my previous computer, which had no problems running CS3.

I'll try uninstalling the X-Fi and see if that works.
            • 3. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
              Community Member
              Well, I completely uninstalled and physically removed the X-Fi card, turned on the mobo audio, and now everything seems peachy.
              Do you know of any work arounds for the X-Fi though? I'd love to use it if I can...
              • 4. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                Community Member
                Okay, I take it back- Premiere's AME is still crashing. There's no trace of the Creative X-Fi; I just ran CCleaner to clean out the registry, but the AME still crashes.
                • 5. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                  Jeff Bellune ACP
                  Does the crash without the X-Fi still prevent killing the task in Task Manager?
                  • 6. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                    Community Member
                    Yes, I have to restart.
                    I tried ending both the Premiere process and application in the task manager to no avail.
                    It's a really bad crash- I can't even minimize all to the desktop.
                    • 7. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                      Jeff Bellune ACP
                      OK, so you've eliminated the X-Fi as the cause of the crash or the no-kill tasks left over in Task Manager.

Can you export to movie without crashing?

For the times that the AME opens, can you export successfully? What format/codec are you using for export?

Is there any other software on your system that either plays or encodes to the formats you want to use for export in the AME? Any other software that accesses your hardware while you are trying to export?
                      • 8. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                        Community Member
                        Hi Jeff,
                        Yes, I can export to movie without crashing.
                        I ran Sherlock and it found a few broken codecs:

"MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder"
                        "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder"
                        "MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder"
                        "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder"
                        "MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder"

You can see the full txt report from Sherlock here:
                        http://greatmindspro.com/documents/Codecs.txt

Is there a way to repair these? I don't have any extra third party software installed, except for Magic Bullet Looks, but it's only an effects-based plug-in- nothing to do with exporting.
                        How could I repair these broken codecs?
                        • 9. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                          Jeff Bellune ACP
                          >How could I repair these broken codecs?

GSpot, Sherlock and probably a couple of other programs will report them as broken but they're (usually) not broken at all.

The thing you should check for is that the actual .ax files that are listed in the "broken codecs" list are where they should be. Use Windows Explorer to check to see that they exist in the proper location as listed by Sherlock.

If those files don't exist, then it's possible that an overzealous system or AntiVirus cleaning utility removed them. In that case, a reinstall of Pr will be required.
                          • 10. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                            Community Member
                            Jeff, yes, the codecs are there in explorer.

When the AME has opened, I've been using the H.264 codec from the pulldown menu (as opposed to the Quicktime option with h.264).

I don't think there is any other software that would interfere with the codecs, other than Windows Media Explorer, winamp, nero, quicktime (7.55). I have all of these on my old computer without problems.

Do you think I should try reinstalling Premiere?
                            • 11. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                              Jeff Bellune ACP
                              I don't know about WinAmp, but Nero is notorious for installing various modules that run as background tasks. Do you have any background processes from Nero, or even have Nero and/or WinAmp running while you try to export?

Is the QuickTime tray task running?

If you installed WinAmp, Nero or QuickTime *after* you installed Premiere, then I recommend doing a repair install of Pr.
                              • 12. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                                Community Member
                                Hi Jeff, I tried reinstalling Premiere, and it wouldn't open from a Licensing issue. I called tech support and tried several things to no avail. Finally I had to uninstall and reinstall Premiere, and then it opened, but the AME problem remained.
                                SO, I ran out and bought Vista, and now all seems fine.
                                I wasn't having any problems until I upgraded my computer and tried working with old projects. Guess there's something to be said about sticking with a stable system (or at least keeping projects on the computers they were created on).
                                Thank you again for all your help!
                                I'll let you know if I run into any similar problems with Vista.
                                • 13. Re: Crash upon opening Adobe Media Encoder
                                  Jeff Bellune ACP
                                  You're welcome. Glad you found a solution. :)