11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2008 2:57 PM by Harm Millaard

Why is video export so large.

I need like a step by step tutorial or something. I am using Abobe Premiere CS3. My boss wants me to take some .WMV files from a GoToMeeting screen capture and edit them into a training video. The files he gave me total 26MB. His source files are 1024 x 768 and so I changed the project settings in Premiere to reflect that. Now on export, I'm wondering first why I need to compress them at all considering they are so small to begin with but if I don't compress the files they total over a couple GB's. So I used Quicktime H.264 at 50% quality and a frame of 1024 x 768, the file it saves me is 900MB and it took TEN HOURS to compress. HELP! I don't understand why I can't just save it back out how it is. I tried one clip that's 268KB and it became a 20MB file. What gives? I really need some guidance here because this is for work.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Why is video export so large.
          shooternz Level 6
          Use a Preset that reflects what the end use is.

eg a Training Video, probably on DVD therefore a NTSC/PAL DV preset will probably do it.

Bring in the wmvs (not the best source material for editing but whatever) and scale them down to fit the project.

File size will be biggish... and quality may be a bit sucky and encode time may take a little while but that is due to your souce material (wmv)

How long is the program?
          • 2. Re: Why is video export so large.
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >I don't understand why I can't just save it back out how it is.

Because Premiere simply isn't designed that way. With your media, Premiere may not be the best tool for the job. Maybe try the free Windows Movie Maker.
            • 3. Re: Why is video export so large.
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: Why is video export so large.
                Level 1
                The Program is a half hour and it is to be stored on a website and downloaded by customers to view
                • 5. Re: Why is video export so large.
                  Level 1
                  Does anyone know why the source files become so large and then have to be compressed?
                  • 6. Re: Why is video export so large.
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    >it is to be stored on a website and downloaded by customers to view

Compressing video for the web takes knowledge, some experience with compression in general and time for trial and error. You're not going to be finished any time soon.
                    >Does anyone know why the source files become so large and then have to be compressed?

Because you are decompressing the small .wmv files into (I'm guessing at your export settings) uncompressed, full frame video. Since that won't do for web delivery, they have to be re-compressed.
                    • 7. Re: Why is video export so large.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      John,

Basically, Premiere works with DV-AVI files. When you feed it something else, it will essentially convert your file to DV-AVI for its workflow, when it can. That is why some file types do not work so well. It also takes PP a while to do this. Then, when you Export to whatever, PP has to then Transcode the file and apply the specified compression to it. I believe that there are now exceptions for HD material, but I'm talking SD for DVD output.

Is your output going to be the 1024x768 for the Web?

I always take non-DV-AVI material, and convert outside of PP, with a 3rd party program. Mine can do batch conversions, so I load up all non-standard Assets, set the conversion specs., and go about other business, while it does its thing. Then, when done, it is the converted DV-AVI that I Import into PP, edit and do whatever. Yes, the converted files will be larger, but that is the nature of video editing. Depending on which WMV CODEC was used, the files may be very much larger.

Also, when using heavy compression CODEC for output, it does take a long time to Export.

The suggestion to use MovieMaker is not a bad one. It is designed to work with WMVs natively, and can output to tons of different formats, like WMV, and with a bunch of CODECs, provided that you have them on your system.

Hunt

[Edit] As an example, I just looked at a WMV, that I converted to DV-AVI, for work in PP.

Original WMV = 50,797 KB
                      Converted DV-AVI = 1,489,441

Now, frame size was a little smaller in the WMV, while the DV-AVI was full DVD-spec, plus the PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, so your sizes may differ from a % standpoint.
                      • 8. Re: Why is video export so large.
                        Level 1
                        Hey thanks everyone for all the great feedback. Well, it was to be 1024 x 768 but mainly because when I've exported it at any other frame dimension it looked blurry. Well, I guess I'll give movie maker a try but.. last questions .. I tried movie maker before but it didn't seem to let me change the project output to 1024 x 768 and whenever I do anything less, it looks crummy. Can this be done in movie maker or should I try to convert the file to something else first? What do you use to convert the files. winavi or something?

Again thanks everyone for all the quick responses.
                        • 9. Re: Why is video export so large.
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                          John, I agree with Bill's approach, but I have successfully edited wmv. How did you modify the settings? did you do a custom desktop project to match your import (size, frame rate, etc).

I also suggest considering flash video as the delivery.
                          • 10. Re: Why is video export so large.
                            Having a problem exporting my edited video into Adobe Encore to burn on DVD. When I attempt the export it is tellin me that my content will not fit the target media and to adjust my settings. I have been trying to use the NTSC High Quality format for a 8564.49 MB file. I got the MPEG-2 setting too usin a DVD Single Layer. Any suggestions to compress or find the right settings?
                            • 11. Re: Why is video export so large.
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              Let Encore handle it, if you do not know your way around settings and bitrate calculators.