22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 6:18 PM by (robin_bentley)

Edit columns

Level 1
      I frequently need to 'Edit columns' in the Project pane of Premiere Pro CS3, for example, to open the column 'Video usage' - useful when wishing to delete items not currently in timelines. However, Premiere never remembers the settings on re-opening the same project. There are many other changes that I would like to make for the Project pane to be useful for my needs but I don't bother -- it is just too painful to have to do this everytime I open the same project! For the changed columns to be remembered as global would be too much to hope for.

Have I missed something?

Is there some trick required to get Premiere to do this simple task that is common in many Apps?

Please, some suggestions!
        • 1. Re: Edit columns
          Matt Petersen Level 3
          robin, I just tested this on my lappy and PP had no problem remembering the columns on a per-project basis, so your version is malfunctioning.

I'm guessing that your instance of PP is not storing user customised settings properly. you can prove or disprove that by changing your interface around all over the place and saving it as a custom workspace (Window > Workspace > New Workspace). if, when you re-open Premier, this workspace is "forgotten" then my hunch is correct.

One of the typical reasons for this is a non-standard location of the My Documents folder on your machine, very common on machines attached to a network (as that folder usually maps back to a server drive so your documents travel with you on the network).

Right-click on the My Documents folder and tell us what it says in the Target box.

cheers

Matthew
          • 2. Re: Edit columns
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            > One of the typical reasons for this is a non-standard location of the My Documents folder on your machine, very common on machines attached to a network (as that folder usually maps back to a server drive so your documents travel with you on the network).

Never encountered that problem even though in my case a lot of drives are mapped, including My Documents. Even editing with material from mapped network drives over the network works without problems (1 Gb network).
            • 3. Re: Edit columns
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Robin,

I too have never had a problem with Columns being forgotten at the Project level.

As most of my Projects are quite similar, I built an empty Project with Bin structure and edited Columns (I use Video & Audio Usage a lot too), and then Saved the empty Prproj file. Made a copy and write-protected that for safew keeping. I open the empty Project, do a Save_As into the proper new location with the proper Project name, and the Columns are always as I left them, as are my empty Bins.

I've never seen the Column Edit data get lost - sorry,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Edit columns
                Matt Petersen Level 3
                Harm, that's interesting, as I was able to easily replicate and control that bug here in the lab by mapping/unmapping the MyDocs folder.

Do you mind if I ask, is your computer attached to a domain?

Also, the target of your My Documents folder, is it a fixed path (e.g. Q:/harms_server/mydocs) or a relative path (\\harms_server\mydocs)?

MP
                • 5. Re: Edit columns
                  Level 1
                  What a surprise! I would have thought this was a common problem.

Matthew the target path to My Docs is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents, and I am not on a network.

Funnily enough when I opened the project I had used last night it had the Video/Audio usage columns! So, to test whether I was going nuts I opened another 2 projects. They had the default columns that from memory always come up. So, I then arranged the columns in all 3 projects as I would like them and saved them. Then, using File > Open recent project, I checked all three. They had reverted to the defaults!

I'm not nuts, but I or Adobe is doing something wierd.

One thing: I had placed all Adobe projects, etc, files together and probably renamed them. For example, I have
                  C:\Adobe\Encore projects
                  C:\Adobe\Premiere Pro
                  Then, the latter opens to the folders: 3.0, Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files, Encoded Files, Media Cache Files and Premiere project files.
                  The latter contains all the project files.
                  In other words, the full path is (note the lower case):
                  C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\Premiere project files\

Maybe I should change the first letter to upper case in every case?
                  Any suggestions?
                  • 6. Re: Edit columns
                    Matt Petersen Level 3
                    Robin, that 3.0 folder is the issue, as that's where the user customised stuff is stored.

I must admit I couldn't follow exactly the changes you've made there, but Premier expects to see the 3.0 folder at C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\3.0

so my guess is that's your issue.

My advice would be to leave the Adobe folder in My Docs pretty much alone, and store your projects on a per-folder basis elsewhere.

MP
                    • 7. Re: Edit columns
                      shooternz Level 6
                      I have seen this issue (many times) and I THINK it came from closing a project (after saving it) and then opening another Project without shutting out of Premiere.
                      • 8. Re: Edit columns
                        Level 1
                        Matthew
                        Thanks for bothering with my problem.
                        However, the folder '3.0' is where you suggested!

Also, inside it (Adobe\Premiere Pro\3.0\Layouts) is the changed workspace I just did. I tried your suggestion about modifying and saving a workspace and it was saved and remembered.

I tried to save the column settings as part of a Workspace, but, it worked once and then later after doing the same to 3 other projects, all was back to the default.
                        • 9. Re: Edit columns
                          Level 1
                          Craig, I usually jump from project to project via File > Open recent project, so I tried what I think you mean:
                          a) with Premiere initially unopen, I opened one project, changed the columns, saved (Ctrl-S) and closed ('X') Premiere
                          b) with Premiere initially unopen, I opened another project, changed the columns and closed Premiere without Ctrl-S.
                          c) I opened each in turn and they had both reverted to the default columns!!

This has become an issue with me!!

Any more thoughts?
                          Thanks
                          • 10. Re: Edit columns
                            Matt Petersen Level 3
                            robin,

I have a theory that I'm testing now. standby!

mp
                            • 11. Re: Edit columns
                              Matt Petersen Level 3
                              robin, quick question, are you on PPCS3 3.2.0?

If you go to c:/documents and settings/owner/application data/adobe/premierpro/3.0 what do you see in there? the following files?

Adobe Premier Pro Prefs
                              Effect Presets and Custom Items.prfpset
                              Plugin Loading.log
                              Trace Database.txt

MP
                              • 12. Re: Edit columns
                                shooternz Level 6
                                >This has become an issue with me!!
                                Any more thoughts?
                                Thanks

Its fixed in CS4.
                                • 13. Re: Edit columns
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                                  Matthew,

It is part of a domain and the path is relative. The mapping of the networked drives and printers is done during automatic login. The mapping of \\server1\gebruikers\documenten\harm... is done to K:

In my case my disk setup looks like this:

and my layouts are in this mapped drive K:\My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\3.0\Layouts. So on the network without synchronization. Synchronization of My Documents is only done on my laptop.

I tried the following: Start PP, open a project and the column settings were exactly as I made them. No default settings. I then opened a recent project and again the column settings were exactly as they were stored previously, even in terms of column width. Both projects were completely different, one with media in point, out point and duration, the other without, both with video and audio usage and both with different column widths. I did not have to close PP, just open another project and the column settings were adjusted accordingly. By the way, both projects contained music from the mapped music drive M, stills from the Photo drive O and some material from the external P drive. Both projects work without flaws.

Robin, your situation has me stumped.
                                  • 14. Re: Edit columns
                                    Level 1
                                    Matthew: I have PPro CS3 3.2.0, yes.

Under c:/documents and settings/owner/Application Data/Adobe/Premier Pro/3.0 I have:
                                    Adobe Premiere Pro Custom.kys
                                    Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs
                                    CompilerCN.preferences
                                    Effect Presets and Custom Items.prfpset
                                    MediaIO.preferences
                                    Plugin Loading.log
                                    robs.kys
                                    Trace Database.txt
                                    UserCustomPreset_Adobe Premiere Pro 3.0.vpr
                                    and 3 folders (DVDCustomPreset, MediaIO and Settings).

Craig: are you suggesting that you had problems with PPro remembering Column headings in CS3 but not in CS4?
                                    By saying 'it's fixed in CS4' imples there was a known problem with CS3!
                                    • 15. Re: Edit columns
                                      Matt Petersen Level 3
                                      Robin, I'm stumped. All that's left for me to suggest is a re-install (and don't move those folders next time), but I have no logic to support why it would or wouldn't work.

Because this bug seems to be fairly unique to you, you'd have to question whether CS4 would in fact fix it. the error might be more about your file system or something than about a reproducable bug.

MP
                                      • 16. Re: Edit columns
                                        Level 1
                                        Thanks Matthew and all others for all your efforts so far.

It looks as if a re-install may be the answer!
                                        However, if I were to re-install Premiere, would I need to go through the Activation process again or would the PC/Adobe remember the previous Authorization mumber?
                                        I am concerned about how many times I can re-activate?

Do I uninstall first? Or can I simply install over the existing version?
                                        • 17. Re: Edit columns
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          >Craig: are you suggesting that you had problems with PPro remembering Column headings in CS3 but not in CS4?
                                          By saying 'it's fixed in CS4' imples there was a known problem with CS3!

Yes and Yes
                                          • 18. Re: Edit columns
                                            Level 1
                                            Before trying a re-install of Premiere CS3 I remembered that a few months ago I had moved Project files to a different folder.

So, I created a New project and when defining its name I set its location in the above folder. Then, I set columns and saved the project. All was well so I copied over some Bins and a few minimal assets (Titles, etc). T repeated this for 5 other projects. I noted that on copying in assets from older projects, the columns reverted to default, but I re-did them.

From now on I shall not open a project from within Premiere (File > Open recent project, etc), as suggested by Craig. I shall open afresh only.

I tried them all twice with mixed results.
                                            I'll try again later and note which ones remember and which don't.
                                            There must be some critical feature (type of asset I copied over, say).
                                            • 19. Re: Edit columns
                                              Level 1
                                              I now have 5 projects that will open remembering the columns -- after each opening I make a minor change that prompts the Save popup.

I can see no reason why they work as against 3 others that would not!

So, I continue with fingers crossed and if someone comments on my question about the need for authorization I may try a re-install of Premiere CS3.
                                              Thanks
                                              • 20. Re: Edit columns
                                                shooternz Level 6
                                                I had some that did exactly that as well.

Some would even open with the Project Bin Folder structure collapsed.
                                                • 21. Re: Edit columns
                                                  Matt Petersen Level 3
                                                  robin, from memory when you un-install, you have the choice of preserving activation information or not. naturally the latter produces the more thorough un-installation.

I don't think there's a limit on the number of activations, and I think there's a process where you can "un-activate" before uninstalling so you can "re-activate" having re-installed.

Try the help menu there.

MP
                                                  • 22. Re: Edit columns
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Thanks Matthew. I had tried the Help, but as with most 'Helps' I found it ambiguous and no mention of the re-instal case.

But I shall try after a few more days. I'm curious to see whether my present rectified projects continue to work!