16 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2009 12:36 PM by Ann Bens

Video sound with no audio clip

I want to be able to listen to the audio in my video clip. When I export it to any movie, it plays the movie silently. When I add an audio track it plays the video along with the music, but anything said in the video is silent. Is there a setting where I can change this? Thank you so much for you help.

Mike
        • 1. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please provide these details to help us help you.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
            Level 1
            If you mean give you more information.

I have Premier Pro CS3. I just want to understand why I cant hear the audio in my video clip. I feel there has to be something wrong with my program or there is a setting I can choose
            • 3. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
              Matt Petersen Level 3
              Can you see a waveform in the timeline?

If yes, check: a) the track isn't muted in the timeline and b) you havn't inadvertantly set the audio gain to 0dB

If no, it's possible that when you dragged your clip from the source viewer down to the timeline, you had the source viewer set to send only video. check the symbol bottom left of the source viewer.

MP
              • 4. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                You answered question 2.1, Bear. Only 27 more to go...

1. The codecs used in your source clips (use the FREE GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codec)
                2. Premiere Pro
                1. Version number
                2. Installation language
                3. Updates applied
                3. Operating System
                1. Name
                2. Update/patch level
                3. Installed language
                4. CPU type and speed
                5. Amount of memory (RAM)
                6. Video card
                1. Manufacturer
                2. Model
                3. Driver version
                7. Number of monitors (displays) in use
                8. Audio card
                1. Manufacturer
                2. Model
                3. Driver version
                9. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
                10. Hardware capture device
                1. Manufacturer
                2. Model
                3. Driver version number
                11. Capture software
                1. Name
                2. Company
                3. Version
                12. Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.
                13. Exact text of any error messages
                14. Explain clearly what you want to do, what you are doing and what the result is
                15. Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using the same procedure
                16. Very importantly: Post details of troubleshooting you have already done to avoid "did that" reponses to questions people ask when trying to help.
                • 5. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                  Level 1
                  Heres what I did. I imported the videos into the project viewer. Once all were in there I just dragged and dropped them into the timeline. I dont see any waveform. And i am also not finding the toggle switch your talking about. I am new to this and I am a little confused. Thanks again.

Mike
                  • 6. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    We're a little confused as well, which is why we need the requested info.
                    • 7. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                      Level 1
                      I am sorry I just dont no most of those questions. I really don't. Im not even sure where to find this out and I am sort of on a time limit here. I am running XP Media Ed 2005. Premier Pro CS3. The videos I have are mpeg-2 from my canon fs100 digital flash memory camera.
                      • 8. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Well, you've answered one of the important questions - the kind of media used. Which in this case is probably the issue.

My general advice is to use a tape based MiniDV camera for taking video you intend to edit. Cameras like yours (hard drive, DVD, CF card, etc.) are better suited to record and watch.
                        • 9. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                          Level 1
                          but i have other editing softwares and the audio still stays with the video. why is this an issue with pp. is there anything i can do, becuase i do not intend on buying another camcorder
                          • 10. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >is there anything i can do

Use the other software.
                            • 11. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                              Level 1
                              thats really bad for this kind of software. Its so expensive and it doesnt even provide audio for my videos. wow
                              • 12. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                You have essentially paired a consumer camera with professional software. It's the mix that often causes trouble.

If you were using a more professional camera, there'd be no issue. Or, as you noticed, if you use consumer software there is no issue.

Balance is the key. If you upgrade your software (Premiere), look to also upgrade your hardware (camera). If you buy an HDTV set, also look to use a Blu-ray player, not a DVD player.

This balance often keeps things working at their best.
                                • 13. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                  Your camera records Dolby Digital .ac3 audio. Premiere Pro CS3 does not support .ac3 audio.

Encore has a file in its application folder that you can copy to the Premiere app folder. Search the forum to find the name of the file (I don't remember which one it is). Once you have copied the file, Premiere should play the audio from your camera.
                                  • 14. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                                    Matt Petersen Level 3
                                    ad2ac3dec.dll is the file to which Jeff refers. it's worth a shot.

MP
                                    • 15. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                                      AirGecko

I have the same camera Canon FS100 (it was on sale)

It took quite a while, but I found that "Super" would create a workable file for use with Premiere Pro CS4.

Super   v2009.bld.35

www.erightsoft.com/super.html

There are possibly many ways to do it.

One I found that worked well was to save it as

mpg...    Mpeg-II...   mp2

use FFmpeg

720:480

16:9

you may also try

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

I looked at it - but I havn't tryed it yet.

And P Pro CS4 was then able to edit the file.

The issue is that the audio is AC-3  Dolby Digital

and so far I can't get it to work with Ppro?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ac3

PS if anyone knows of a better way to save the output files please let us know.

I tried 100s of combinations to find one that worked.

I don't claim that it is the best.

I was just very happy to be able to use the software I played big bucks for and the camera I (already had)

If I had bunches of extra money and an old tux laying around I would buy a better camera.....

But for now it is the best I can afford.

And I am enjoying learning the Adobe CS4 collection of software.

It gives me something to do while I look for work.

Good luck with your camera,

Steve

Your out of work Flight Instructor just

Trying to make a few fun stearman flying videos

and a few dvds to hand out the the kids baseball teams

• 16. Re: Video sound with no audio clip
                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Instead of using the dll from Encore you can install an AC3 filter codec that should do the trick.

http://ac3filter.net/