4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 7:41 AM by fredou_79

Premiere crash on EDL Export

I've logged a bunch of tapes in Premiere and want to capture in FCP and work the rest through FCP.

To do so, i've made a sequence for each tape and placed all the logged clips related to one tape into their own sequence. Ex: Seq-t1 has 10 clips in its sequence all relating to clips from that tape.

When i try to export this sequence as an EDL from PP it crashes. The program is a legit copy. Not sure what to do. I'd like to have an EDL for each tape so i can capture in FCP.

project file is avail at:
      www.neverinneutral.com/editor/EDL.zip (260k)

Could someone try and help me out?
      Any help is appreciated.
      Thanks!
      /josh

*i've tried on a PC machine and a Mac machine. both time program quits with no error on screen. IMported files to FCP report 'bad edl format' or something close.
        • 1. Re: Premiere crash on EDL Export
          Matt Petersen Level 3
          Josh,

Crashes my PP 3.2 every time also, no matter what options I choose. Maybe it's to do with the media being offline (and therefore having no path that can be written to the EDL), I don't know.

What I will say is that I had cause to use PP's EDL functionality recently working on a job that came from FCP, and it was a joke. Even exporting an EDL from PP, then re-importing it, doesn't work.

In the end I just gave up and started again. Not what you wanted to hear, I know.

MP
          • 2. Re: Premiere crash on EDL Export
            Level 1
            Thanks for writing that anyhow. I sorta hoped that adobe had put some work into the program in the last 10 years...always felt it was a troubled app.

Your response made me think of a possible solution in my case tho.

If i capture 1h02m (full tape) of HDV through Premiere and reconnect every tape to that same clip on the hdrive, the crash might not happen. Clips would be no longer offline and maybe since all the TC hours start with 00;00;00;00 (shot on sony hvr-fx1) adobe premiere might accept it.

worth a shot. 1 hour of playing video games to capture.
            will let you know if it works if you're interested.
            /j
            • 3. Re: Premiere crash on EDL Export
              fredou_79 Level 1
              I tried exporting EDLs with media online, it crashes also.

I use CINEFORM AspectHD v5 BTW.
              • 4. Re: Premiere crash on EDL Export
                fredou_79 Level 1
                see this link:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/help.html?content=WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b 1038518aef7-7c76.html

"To prevent Premiere CS3 from crashing while exporting to EDL, select 'None' for any unused tracks, which are left blank by default."