5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 7:47 AM by Jim_Simon

CS3 3.2/Vista32: Hangs when video track is locked

TheAnorak Level 1
      I've ran into a problem with a fresh install of PPro 3.2 on Vista 32 where, if I lock the video track, PPro repeatedly hangs -- spinning Vista "busy" cursor for 20 seconds, a tiny pause, repeat until forcibly closed. Anyone come across this, or even better, fixed it?

Environment: Editing NTSC DV (widescreen) in PPro 3.2 on Vista 32. Running as non-admin account (corporate policy). Hardware: Core2Quad 9550 (2.8Ghz), 4Gb RAM, lots of disk. Project has a single DV file, captured from tape, plus two mono audio channels.

Best,

Keith
        • 1. Re: CS3 3.2/Vista32: Hangs when video track is locked
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >Running as non-admin account (corporate policy)

Talk to the head honchos. That's generally not recommended practice for a program as sophisticated as Premiere, and could very well be causing issues.
          • 2. Re: CS3 3.2/Vista32: Hangs when video track is locked
            TheAnorak Level 1
            Can't be done, I'm afraid. Moreover, it's one of the requirements for the Vista logo programme (I don't have the box to hand but I'm assuming that CS3 was intended to be 'logo compliant').

I've been running the various Adobe productivity applications as a restricted user since Windows 2000 was introduced at my company and I've never had a problem which required running the app as an administrator all the time. Often it's necessary to launch the apps with administrator rights to ensure all the component registrations take, but afterward it's been fine.

I am having problems with several of the CS3 apps under Vista however, so it could be a quirk of our Vista image causing problems.
            • 3. Re: CS3 3.2/Vista32: Hangs when video track is locked
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I've been running the various Adobe productivity applications as a restricted user since Windows 2000 was introduced at my company and I've never had a problem which required running the app as an administrator all the time.

You are one of the lucky ones, then. Seems plenty of folks come here with issues that running as Admin solves.
              • 4. Re: CS3 3.2/Vista32: Hangs when video track is locked
                TheAnorak Level 1
                I have been, up to now ;)

When the forums (particularly the CS and design forums) were up in arms over install failures with CS3, I breezed through with zero problems, and everything just worked. Looks like that time has passed.

I'm not a full-time editor, but a graphic designer working for a multinational who also handles video. I can't justify a separate, off-network (and therefore off our corporate software image) machine dedicated to video, unfortunately.
                • 5. Re: CS3 3.2/Vista32: Hangs when video track is locked
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  In that case, my only suggestion would be not to lock any video tracks. Just be observant and careful instead.