5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2008 7:41 AM by (raymond_setzer)

No VBR on Adobe media encoder?

scott mackenzie Level 1
      Hello,

I have just started using Export- Adobe Media Encoder.

I have seen tutorial where they put the settings to VBR 2 pass etc.

I don't seem to have these on my CS3? Just CBR. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

thanks
      scott
        • 1. Re: No VBR on Adobe media encoder?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          What format? I certainly use it for DVD. It seems possible it's not there for other formats like .wmv or Real Media. I just don't use those formats to know any better.
          • 2. Re: No VBR on Adobe media encoder?
            scott mackenzie Level 1
            Sorry,

I was exporting to flash. (was it on2v?)

I thought you still had loads of choices, especially vbr?

any ideas anybody? as I said i'm very new to exporting to flash.

thanks

scott
            • 3. Re: No VBR on Adobe media encoder?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Sorry. I use an external program for my Flash encoding.
              • 4. Re: No VBR on Adobe media encoder?
                TradeWind Level 3
                I have VBR as an option under FLV/F4V. Multiple passes, too.

Nothing special here. I have used most of these settings to test them out (VBR multipass wasn't available previously in PPro) and compare them to my Sorenson Squeeze results. You'd be better off with Squeeze, but it's not too bad in this version...much better than the previous implementation of the On2 VP6 encoding.

Different vendors with their different applications utilize codecs differently. In other words, just because VBR or multi-pass encoding is part of the available spec on a certain codec (for example, On2 VP6) does not mean that the entire spectrum of options will be fully implemented in your application of choice. Sorenson Squeeze has one of the better utilizations of On2 VP6 available for the price.

EDIT - Make sure you are using Flash 8 and higher, not Flash 7 and higher. Sorenson Spark codec is limited to CBR. It's all available in the video tab under Basic Video Settings and Bitrate Settings.
                • 5. Re: No VBR on Adobe media encoder?
                  Level 1
                  scott_mackenzi@adobeforums.com wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I have just started using Export- Adobe Media Encoder.
                  >
                  > I have seen tutorial where they put the settings to VBR 2 pass etc.
                  >
                  > I don't seem to have these on my CS3? Just CBR. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
                  >
                  > thanks
                  > scott

On CS3 at least, the On2 flash encoder is the basic edition. Upgrading
                  to the Pro edition will not get you 2Pass in Premiere. You would need to
                  run it as an external app. The have an exporter app that works with
                  After Effects, but not Premiere. I like the On2 encoder and wish it
                  would integrate nicer with Premiere.

When I upgrade to CS4 I will at least have a workaround (hopefully)
                  using a dynamic link in AE and encoding out of AE without needing an
                  intermediate render.