5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2009 9:10 AM by Jim_Simon

Lock encore DVD markers - possible?

Is it possible? otherwise they stay in place and if you ripple delete somwhere - they are no longer in place!
        • 1. Re: Lock encore DVD markers - possible?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Use clip markers to mark your chapter points while you edit (why are you inserting chapter markers before the final edit is done??).

Then when the final edit is done, move from clip marker to clip marker and add Encore chapter markers to the sequence before exporting to Encore.
          • 2. Re: Lock encore DVD markers - possible?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            In short, no it's not yet possible to lock a chapter marker to a frame of video. (Though it would be an invaluable feature.)
            • 3. Re: Lock encore DVD markers - possible?
              digabyte Level 1

"Why are you inserting chapter markers before the final edit is done??"

You've never made a change to a project time line once you finished?  ...ever?!

Never changed your mind or found a mistake?

Wow.

Being able to have Chapter Markers move with Ripple Delete, etc., would be EXTREMELY valuable.

"Then when the final edit is done, move from clip marker to clip marker and add Encore chapter markers to the sequence before exporting to Encore."

Having to change 30 clip markers at the end of a project is a major pain.  If the Chapter Markers just functioned as such, you wouldn't have to do this.

• 4. Re: Lock encore DVD markers - possible?
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

This would indeed be a good feature request.  Have you filed it here: Adobe Feature Request Form?

digabyte wrote:

You've never made a change to a project time line once you finished?  ...ever?!

Never changed your mind or found a mistake?

Wow.

Not at all.  It's just not a big deal to me to have to move the markers if I find that mistake or have a new flash of inspiration.  I don't plan on moving them more than once.  (Okay, maybe not more than twice.)   Plus, I'm going to check each chapter point again anyway, even if the ripple delete for chapter markers function existed.  It's a good feature request; IMHO it's not a critical FR.

"Then when the final edit is done, move from clip marker to clip marker and add Encore chapter markers to the sequence before exporting to Encore."

Having to change 30 clip markers at the end of a project is a major pain.

Not if you follow my "workaround".  Use a keyboard shortcut and you can get the new chapter markers inserted in less time than it takes you to read this post.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Lock encore DVD markers - possible?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  It's just not a big deal to me to have to move the markers if I find that mistake or have a new flash of inspiration.

But what if that mistake comes in the first 30 seconds of the project?  In my case, I end up having to move 30+ chapter markers.  That's a bit of a time waster.  I'd much rather have a DVD marker locked to a frame, and follow that frame as a DVD marker wherever that frame goes.  If I move the frame within the sequence, the marker moves with it.  If I nest the sequence with that frame, the marker shows up in the new sequence as a DVD marker.  If I delete that frame, Premiere pops up a dialog telling me there's a marker associated with it, and asks if I'm sure I want to delete it.

I don't think it's that difficult a feature to implement, and will definitely speed up the whole editing process.

Is it a critical feature?  No.  But I'd argue that's it's not only a hell of a lot easier to implement than speech recognition, but also a hell of a lot more useful to many more people.