20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2009 2:26 AM by akribie

Screen captures to .AVI

Gumbo Al Level 1
      I have a lot of 1024 x 768 screen captures that I need to add titling and an audio track to. My final output needs to be a 1024 x 768 .avi. I am using Premiere Pro CS3 and each time I try to export the movie I either get an error or the video comes out as a 720 x 480 that has been cropped on all 4 sides. I would like to know what to do to get the finished video that I need to complete my project.

Thanks for any help

Al
        • 1. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          What are your project settings? Export settings?

(Please be as detailed as possible; screenshots would be best)
          • 2. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
            Gumbo Al Level 1
            Thanks for responding. I have a screenshot for you but I cannot see how to embed it in this message. Should I put it on a server and furnish a link?

Thanks,

Al
            • 3. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
              Furnishing a link would be good. ;)
              • 4. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                shooternz Level 6
                Match your project size to the source file size or the intended out put size.
                • 5. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                  Gumbo Al Level 1
                  Jeff and Craig,

In my earlier post I stated that my output was being cropped on all 4 sides. I have realized that the reason for that was my source/output were not matched. I have now matched my source/output and I'm still getting slightly cropped on the left and right. All I wamt to do is output a video that will be 1024 x 768 and play in Windows Media Player on most corporate PCs. I'm guessing that the format should be .wmv as this is what I see in a lot of disc based training videos from such vendors as Total Training. The link to a screenshot of my dialog box is:

http://www.albrassell.com/view/Premiere.html

I also have an Adobe Connect account if that will help.

Thanks,

Al
                  • 6. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                    Al,

Your screenshot (thank you) shows the Source tab as being cropped as well.

The edge cropping is occurring in your Pr sequence. Either create a new sequence that matches the actual dimensions of your screen caps, or nest your current sequence in a new sequence and perform a Scale to Frame Size operation on the new nested sequence.

-Jeff
                    • 7. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                      Level 1
                      Al Brassell wrote:
                      > Jeff and Craig,
                      >
                      > In my earlier post I stated that my output was being cropped on all 4 sides. I have realized that the reason for that was my source/output were not matched. I have now matched my source/output and I'm still getting slightly cropped on the left and right. All I wamt to do is output a video that will be 1024 x 768 and play in Windows Media Player on most corporate PCs. I'm guessing that the format should be .wmv as this is what I see in a lot of disc based training videos from such vendors as Total Training. The link to a screenshot of my dialog box is:
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > I also have an Adobe Connect account if that will help.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Al

1024 x 768 is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Changing your output to 1068 x 768
                      which is a widescreen resolution may nip that problem in the bud.
                      • 8. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        > 1024 x 768 is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Changing your output to 1068 x 768
                        which is a widescreen resolution may nip that problem in the bud.

I don't know where you got that info, but your mathematics are way off.
                        If 1024 equals 4 in relation to 768, which equals 3, then 16 wide must be 1365 in relation to 768, which is 9.
                        • 9. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                          Level 1
                          Harm_Millaard@adobeforums.com wrote:
                          >
                          > 1024 x 768 is a 4:3 aspect ratio. Changing your output to 1068 x 768 which
                          > is a widescreen resolution may nip that problem in the bud.
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > I don't know where you got that info, but your mathematics are way off.
                          > If 1024 equals 4 in relation to 768, which equals 3, then 16 wide must be 1365 in relation to 768, which is 9.

Correct. Overactive fingers hit the 8 instead of the 5 key.
                          • 10. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                            Gumbo Al Level 1
                            Guys,

Maybe there is something I don't understand. The screen captures I get are captured from a 4:3 monitor at a resolution of 1024 x 768. I usually distribute them on CDs as .swf (Flash) files. On this particular round of training I am developing, the captured screen activity will:
                            1. have a duration that is to long for for Flash output
                            2. be distributed to clients that cannot have the Flash player (defense dept. rules)

Thus I have to create long video clips that are in a format that can be played on Windows Media Player

Thanks,

Al
                            • 11. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              In that case use WMV.
                              • 12. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                Al,

Did you read post #6?

-Jeff
                                • 13. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                  Level 1
                                  Al Brassell wrote:
                                  > Guys,
                                  >
                                  > Maybe there is something I don't understand. The screen captures I
                                  > get are captured from a 4:3 monitor at a resolution of 1024 x 768. I
                                  > usually distribute them on CDs as .swf (Flash) files. On this
                                  > particular round of training I am developing, the captured screen
                                  > activity will: 1. have a duration that is to long for for Flash
                                  > output 2. be distributed to clients that cannot have the Flash player
                                  > (defense dept. rules)
                                  >
                                  > Thus I have to create long video clips that are in a format that can
                                  > be played on Windows Media Player
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Al

Are you saying the monitor is set to that resolution? Or are you saying
                                  you can confirm the screen capture files are indeed that aspect ratio?
                                  • 14. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                    Gumbo Al Level 1
                                    >Your screenshot (thank you) shows the Source tab as being cropped as well.

The edge cropping is occurring in your Pr sequence. Either create a new sequence that matches the actual dimensions of your screen caps, or nest your current sequence in a new sequence and perform a Scale to Frame Size operation on the new nested sequence.

Jeff,

I verified that my screen capture is indeed 1024x768 so I guess I'll have to set up a larger project.

A bigger issue is when I try to use the Movie Encoder to get .wmv files I get an error messgage to the effect that the writer failed to initialize. Does this sound like I'm missing something from the app? Perhaps I failed to allow a codec to be installed? Do you know of a way to tell if I have the right codec for.wmv?

Thanks,

Al
                                    • 15. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                      Typically a full reinstall will fix the writer error. Google around for other possible solutions - some worked and some didn't for the folks that had the problem.

It would be hard to *not* have the right codec installed for .wmv if you are on Windows.
                                      • 16. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                        Gumbo Al Level 1
                                        Here is the latest on what I'm trying to accomplish along with a small mystery. I do the screen activity capture with Camtasia. I export the to Quicktime uncompressed to preserve the quality. I bring the QT into Premiere, add titling, add other graphics and add audio. I export to .wmv. If I export to .wmv directly from Camtasia I get a much smaller, far better quality .wmv than exporting from Premiere. Does anyone know why this is? I have to use Premirere for its superior editing capabilities but the qality of the images is far worse regardless of where I set the quality level.

Thanks,

Al
                                        • 17. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                          >Does anyone know why this is?

Undoubtedly it's the settings. You'll have to dig around in Camtasia's to see what they do differently than Premiere's default/presets. That will also probably entail digging deeper into Premiere's settings as well.

If you don't want to do that, then you have two choices with Pr CS3:

1. Export from CS3 as a QT Animation (visually lossless) .mov file for import/export from Camtasia as a .wmv.

2. Install the excellent Debugmode Frameserver for Premiere (it's free!) and frameserve your Pr timeline directly into Camtasia. You'll save the time and overhead of exporting the QT intermediate file.
                                          • 18. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                            Gumbo Al Level 1
                                            Jeff,

I d/l and installed the Debugmode Frameserver as you suggested. I have access to both Premiere CS3 & CS4. I tried a test export and got the audio but no video. I get a "codec can't be found" error message. I am assuming that I'm supposed to be ending up with a virtually uncompressed .avi file from Debugmode Frameserver? I would then want to import that file into Camtasia and let it render the final .wmv. How can I solve the codec issue?

Thanks,

Al
                                            • 19. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                              davemill Level 1
                                              The difference is the CODECl. Camtasia's secret sauce is the TSCC codec, which excels at screen capture images & videos. I believe they sell a version that other tools can access, if you want to do all the work in Premiere. Or you can try to do it all in Camtasia.

http://www.techsmith.com/codecs/ensharpen/default.asp
                                              • 20. Re: Screen captures to .AVI
                                                akribie Level 2
                                                Not sure why you don't set the sequence frame size in DeskTop editing mode to match your footage at 1024x768 with square pixels and export to WMV (if that's your target) at the same size.