7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2009 11:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Extra Wide Video Dimensions

jfk00ca Level 1
      I am by no means a Premiere power user, but I've been creating pretty simple videos for the web for several years.

Recently I've had a strange problem with the widescreen output dimensions, where the video becomes "extra wide" compared to the source file. I've spent a lot of time trying different things to fix this, with no luck.

Details:

1) A client sends us a .vob file they capture from TV (yes, they have approval to use the clips online).

2) We run the clip through Cinematize (output to .mov because the .avi output always fails). The original clip is in a widescreen format (720 x 480).

3) We import the .mov files into Premiere to adjust anything needed and output to flash.

4) I just put the video in Premiere to 100%, did a screen capture and then opened that in Photoshop. Intead of being 720 x 480, the video dimensions are 720 x 400, so the vidoe is being compressed on its vertical axis.

5) On output, the video shows in the widescreen dimensions, with a large black band on both the top and bottom of the clip within the window, so that it is now squished on its vertical axis.

6) I have the added problem of having a black band appear on the top and bottom of the video on the output screen - this happens when I select flash for the output. The only way I can fix it is to change the video dimensions to 720 x 400.

Can anyone help me understand why this is happening and what I need to do to correct the problem? I've checked the knowledge base and other sources with no luck.

Thanks!!

Julie
        • 1. Re: Extra Wide Video Dimensions
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Why make it so difficult? 720x480 with the correct PAR should be exported as 720x480 with the same PAR or correct for square pixels.
          • 2. Re: Extra Wide Video Dimensions
            Eddie Lotter Level 4
            > the .avi output always fails

Fix that problem, export to DV AVI Type 2 and all the problems you are experiencing will go away.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
            - Over 250 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: Extra Wide Video Dimensions
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >the video dimensions are 720 x 400

Sounds like Cinematize isn't doing the job correctly. Or you have a setting wrong somewhere.
              • 4. Re: Extra Wide Video Dimensions
                jfk00ca Level 1
                It might have been the Cinematize codex. At first I was using the default, but then at Eddie's suggestion switched to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC and got a clip that worked properly in Premiere.

I did try changing the pixel aspect ratio on a clip, but in rendering that killed my Vista machine. I've had this problem on 2 different computers (one Vista, one XP) at least 4 times rendering files from Premiere - the end result is that the computer no longer can find the boot drive.

In the past I took the computer to the company I bought it from, thinking it was a hardware problem like overheating. But a tech person finally told me that the bios was getting hosed and the solution was to flash the bios.

Is this a problem others are having? It seems strange to have the same problem on 2 different machines.

Thanks,

Julie
                • 5. Re: Extra Wide Video Dimensions
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Julie,

I have never experienced any problem with PP doing anything at the BIOS level. I've also not read of it happening to anyone else. Does not mean that there is not a first time, but I'd begin by looking elsewhere first, as it seems unlikely that PP would have any hand in this.

I do agree about the oddity of the coincidence, with two different machines. Is there some other common thread with the two, besides PP?

Odd, to say the least,

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: Extra Wide Video Dimensions
                    jfk00ca Level 1
                    Hi Bill,

I thought it was odd too. At first I thought the problem on the old machine related to it overheating. I upped the power supply and changed the fan ... that improved things for a while.

Every time the bio gets corrupted it happens the same way. I have a somewhat large file to render, get the process started and after some time the computer just shuts down. When I restart I get an error message that the computer can't find the harddrives and have to flash the bios for it to work again.

It may not be premiere doing this directly ... I'm wondering if it's related more in the sense that the demand premiere put on my system causes the corruption. It is incredibly annoying, nonetheless.

Julie
                    • 7. Re: Extra Wide Video Dimensions
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Julie,

This sounds like there is still a heat related problem going on. Other than heat, the only time that I have experienced similar was when a MoBo was headed "South." Replaced that, and added more/better cooling, and that box is still working fine.

When the thermal load on a computer gets up near critical, it *should* shutdown by default. If one is doing heavy NLE work, then things WILL heat up and in a hurry. A computer that works fine with a word processing program going, will often display its weaknesses when working in a program like Premiere.

If this has happened several times before, the BIOS chip might have been weakened to the point that it now looses its memory. Premiere just gets the machine hotter than most other programs will likely do.

Flashing the BIOS is but a stop-gap measure. Will possibly work, until the next bout of heat-stress, then it goes blank, or at least daffy. Some BIOS chips can be user-replaced, but I think I'd be shopping for a new MoBo and some heavy-duty cooling to go with it. When installing the new MoBo, bind all cables, so they do not impede the airflow. Besides looking neater, more cool air can reach components.

Good luck,

Hunt