10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2008 3:42 PM by h2ofun

Data Code in new M2T export

h2ofun Level 1
      Okay, I am trying to export my video to tape, but have a Data code stream go with it, so I can use scene detection s/w in the future to pull this tape back in as each video project, rather than just one large file. So, clearly if I copy a camcoder tape to my Sony deck, the data code gets transfered. But, when I send my video back out to tape, the data code is blank. So, can somewhere in the process of getting to tape, can I put todays Data code in the stream, just as if I was doing it all from a camcorder?

Thanks

Dave
        • 2. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
          h2ofun Level 1
          Darn, wonder why it is so hard. :o(

Dave
          • 3. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            It's not hard, just impossible because by editing you are creating a new film that loses all it's original data, like date and time stamp, when exporting.

Compare it to some apples I bought at the local store. When I put them in a kitchen machine and treat them to 'editing' there is no way I can get the original purchase date back, since they are now transformed to apple juice. I still have the purchase date from the store on my receipt, but can't access it anymore when using the apple juice.
            • 4. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
              h2ofun Level 1
              I am not wanting to get any of the original data, I just want to be able to put todays date and time, just like I was using my camcorder to take the video live. So, the original clips had the date and time they were originally made. I now just want to have todays date on the since M2T project file which basically states I just made this file today. Just happens to be made in the computer putting stuff together, rather than shooting from the original camera. This make any sense? I do not care about the original dates.

Thanks again for the help. Must be some way to put this info on the new file I just made in the computer, rather than camcorder.

I want to put a date and time when you finished making that apple juice. Just like if a good wine is made. Who cares about the date and time each grape was picked, but you sure want to know when the bottle was corked.

Dave
              • 5. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Doesn't that come automatically with the creation of the file as seen in Explorer?
                • 6. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
                  h2ofun Level 1
                  I need it as megadata like the original files on the camcorder, so I can use scene detect s/w to split them apart. When I play the file on the sony deck, the data code files are blank. When I play files that were copied from my camcorder, the data code is there. So, I just need to get the data code into the m2t stream file I am making somehow.

Dave
                  • 7. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    I don't think that is possible, because when recreating a new file, you also recreate new data codes which are just one set of data in a single file.
                    • 8. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
                      h2ofun Level 1
                      I know there are tools to repair TC. I wonder if there is a tool to repair data codes? I keep looking.

Thanks again.

Dave
                      • 9. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Dave,

Have you explored DVDate. Seems that there was a recent new version, that added a lot of features, like repairing sync issues. Never used it for what you need, but it might be worth a look,
                        http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 10. Re: Data Code in new M2T export
                          h2ofun Level 1
                          Looks like a utility that should do the job, but it says only DV, not HDV. I will give it a try anyways. I did just look at a HDV avi with it and yep, no datecode. So, will give it a shot for the heck of it.

Dave