25 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2009 9:04 AM by Eddie Lotter

Change Project Settings?

In the beginning of every new project, you are prompted to select the editing format that you want your project to be. Is there a way to change it after you've already started working in it? I realize now that I need my project to be widescreen because some changes in my plans so now I have to crop the top and bottom if I am to render the video. That's bad and plus, it's harder to edit when the display is wrong and you have floating space top and bottom. Thanks for your time.
        • 1. Re: Change Project Settings?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          No. Start a new 16:9 project and import your current project into that new project.
          • 2. Re: Change Project Settings?
            Dag Norum Level 2
            No, it's no way in CS3 to change project settings after a project is created.

But, start new project with desired setting and import your "old" project.

Dag

Huh, can't even have a spell check before somebody is quicker.
            Oh, wait, maybe Harm has fixed his keyboard :)
            • 3. Re: Change Project Settings?
              Level 1
              How do I import the old project into the new one? And uh, can it be done in CS4?
              • 4. Re: Change Project Settings?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Dang, Dag, when I got out from under my keyboard (it is now confirmed to be only XOR gates) I saw this post and thought it might be worthwhile to respond before people with a much nicer approach could get their reply posted and, Jeez, I succeeded. Better luck next time or should I say, I hope somebody (like you) with better diplomacy and tact responds before I open my big mouth again.

I better live up to the adagio: OLHMTKMBMSUIKWITA.
                • 5. Re: Change Project Settings?
                  shooternz Level 6
                  START New Project
                  IMPORT other Project

CS4 can have different settings on different sequences in the same Project. You can not change one midstream. You can Copy and paste the assetts from one sequence to another or you could nest one into the other.
                  • 6. Re: Change Project Settings?
                    Dag Norum Level 2
                    >How do I import the old project into the new one?

File, Import (basically just as with whatever footage you import)
                    >And uh, can it be done in CS4?

Well, from my understanding (I don't have CS4), you can just make another timeline with your preferred settings and then you, my guess, do as in After Effects, put your "old" timeline (called nesting) into the new timeline.

Harm,

You have a big mouth, no doubt about that, but not a nasty one, just what some would call a "disgustingly honest" one :) . Sometimes hard to take for newbies, but certainly worth the "pain" to listen to for somebody like me when I put together my new PC for a little while ago.

PS! Your adagio was a little too big for me to understand (probably to remember it I would guess, I think I have seen it before, but I'm old you know...)

PPS! Are you SURE it's not only one XNOR gate?

Dag

EDIT: Now Craig did it, I'm just too slow :(
                    • 7. Re: Change Project Settings?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Dag, the adage was:

b Oh LORD, help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about.

In short:
                      b OLHMTKMBMSUIKWITA.

I should have taken notice when I first saw this in a phone booth in the City in London. It was appropriate at the time and still is (at least for me).
                      • 8. Re: Change Project Settings?
                        shooternz Level 6
                        >Oh LORD, help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I'm talking about.

Would save a lot of bandwidth and probably put your ISP out of business.
                        • 9. Re: Change Project Settings?
                          Level 1
                          I've heard this term used so many times and can never quite understand what it means - nesting. What does it mean to put one timeline into the other one? What exactly is nesting and what does it do?
                          • 10. Re: Change Project Settings?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Have you looked in the manual or Help file, David?
                            • 11. Re: Change Project Settings?
                              shooternz Level 6
                              but in short...it imports a sequence into another but it treats it as a single clip. ie./eg. 25 clips become one clip.
                              • 12. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                Level 1
                                Oh, I see... Thanks Craig. But that kinda sucks and would defeat the purpose of what I need... So if I were to do this (what I asked about in my original post), that's what would happen?

Jim, uh... no, I never read manuals, honestly. I usually don't find what I'm looking for because it's usually more involved than this, half of the things written there is junk that I have to filter through to get what I need, and not to mention that I won't remember any of the 5000 pages of it if I were to sit there and read it like a book. Sorry for being a bit rude when it is you that is helping me but I hate when I'm told that. This is a forum after all, no? If you don't want to help/answer, then don't.
                                • 13. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  You have been presented with the options:

Import works perfectly so I can not imagine what more do you need.

BTW - best way is set up the project correctly from the outset.
                                  • 14. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                    Level 1
                                    Alright. Well, thank you all. I thought that importing would create the same effect as nesting... My mistake.
                                    • 15. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                      Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                      >I thought that importing would create the same effect as nesting...

Nesting is far more powerful and useful.

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                                      Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                      - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                      - Over 250 free tutorials
                                      - Maintained by editors like you
                                      Forum FAQ
                                      • 16. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        David,

One little caveat. If you Import your existing Project into a new one (with the proper presets), you will be presented with a Bin structure with your old Project inside. Now for the non-intuitive part: open that Bin structure
                                        b COMPLETELY
                                        and find your old Project's Timeline - Double-click on it to "open" it. Otherwise, you will not see its Timeline and will think that you didn't do it correctly.

Good luck,

Hunt
                                        • 17. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                          shooternz Level 6
                                          >Nesting is far more powerful and useful.

It would not be for the OPs needs. He needed all the clips so he could treat them as individual instances because he set the project up wrong in the first place.

Nesting is of course very powerful and helpful in other situations.
                                          • 18. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                            Level 1
                                            No need to answer this. Call me dumb but maybe it's just cause I still don't understand what it is. This isn't the first time that nesting was mentioned to me but I don't see the point of it. In fact, nesting just seems stupid to me. Why would nesting ever need to be used? If that's too noobish of a question, again, no need to answer. XD
                                            • 19. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                              shooternz Level 6
                                              Nesting is brilliant in many situations.

Think of it like an "intermediate" clip. ie a single clip that has all the editing work pre built

eg. Some use individual multiple sequences to edit each scene made of many clips (and fx) then nest multiple sequnces into one sequence to make a complete "film".

Its a workflow method that can save the editor having to deal with multiple clips and multiple tracks repeatedly.

My work always has a lot of video tracks (6-20) so it is convenient to nest sections as I go.

BTW: Calling something "stupid" before you understand it is kind of... uhmmmm...stoopid :-)
                                              • 20. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                                Level 1
                                                Oh, well I see. I dunno, people just made nesting seem like such an amazing thing. It's just merging the clips like they would be after they're rendered. Yeah, that could definitely save you a headache but I'd probably be scared/reluctant to do it considering I might need to change what I merged in the future. But yeah, I guess I see it's usefulness though I still don't see why it was even mentioned in the first place. What does it have to do with what I asked about in the first place? <--Rhetorical

And once again, thank you.
                                                • 21. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                                  shooternz Level 6
                                                  It doesnt help you much in CS3 but it would in CS4 where you can have different settings on each sequence in any given project. You needed to change the project settings remember and you did ask about CS4.

Thing about nesting is that you can edit and redit in the original sequence (non destructive) and the nest automatically updates (reflects the changes you made).

After all this rhetoric...have you solved the issue yet and have you learnt anything.

Hint "Import one project into another with the correct setting"
                                                  • 22. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    I imported the other project into the new one. That solved the problem. Yeah.

Side note - Is there a way to actually mask in CS4? I did masking frame by frame by taking snapshots of the video and editing them in Photoshop. Then, I imported one picture at a time to make a video. That's just insane. There might've been an easier way, even in CS3, but is that better dealt with in CS4?
                                                    • 23. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                      >Call me dumb but maybe it's just cause I still don't understand what it is.

That's why I suggested reading the manual. Not so much to help you solve a specific problem, but to get you the understanding you say you're missing.
                                                      • 24. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                                        I have Premiere Pro CS3. I also have Matrox RT X2. I am trying to record out from the breakout box to a DVD recorder. I am getting the black cinema blocks at top and bottom with the video being squashed from top to bottom. I can import the project into a new project but I don't know how to change the settings to get regular video. Any advise would be most appreciated. Thanks, Bobby
                                                        my email address is: bg.keys@yahoo.com
                                                        • 25. Re: Change Project Settings?
                                                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

FAQ:Why are there black borders/bars?

FAQ:How do I change the project settings?

FAQ: How do I import VOB files / edit a DVD?

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
                                                          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                                          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                                          - Over 250 free tutorials
                                                          - Maintained by editors like you
                                                          Forum FAQ