14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 3:44 PM by Jim_Simon

Audio and Video Out of Sync

I just attempted my first Premiere project and am having trouble with the audio and video syncing up. I captured Mini DV footage by plugging my video camera (Sony DCR-HC28) directly into my Mac Pro (2 x 3 GHz dual-core Intel Xeon processor with 11GB RAM). I'm running Premiere Pro CS3 (3.2.0). I captured an hour's worth of video, but the audio on the resulting .mov file does not sync with the video. What can I do to get the audio to sync up?
        • 1. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
          Level 1
          Ray_Fox@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > I just attempted my first Premiere project and am having trouble with the audio and video syncing up. I captured Mini DV footage by plugging my video camera (Sony DCR-HC28) directly into my Mac Pro (2 x 3 GHz dual-core Intel Xeon processor with 11GB RAM). I'm running Premiere Pro CS3 (3.2.0). I captured an hour's worth of video, but the audio on the resulting .mov file does not sync with the video. What can I do to get the audio to sync up?

Make sure the Audio track is unlinked from the video and nudge it into
          sync, then link them back together.
          • 2. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            This is a strange one, though. They should be in sync by default.
            • 3. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
              Level 1
              Jim_Simon@adobeforums.com wrote:
              > This is a strange one, though. They should be in sync by default.

I've had this happen to me on occasion. Clearly I must be doing
              something that causes it because it does not happen consistently, but
              for the life of me I cannot nail it down. Only thing I can guess is that
              sometimes when I use the keystroke to insert a default transition
              between clips it sometimes shifts a few frames. Sloppy fingers? Some
              hardware thingy with the apple wireless keyboard? Practical jokes by
              Adobe developers?
              • 4. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I'd go with that last. (You go to college with any of the Premiere programmers Raymond? Any old fraternity grudges handing around out there?)
                • 5. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                  Fighting Sticks Level 2
                  Hey Ray Fox,
                  In past I've found audio/video sych issues assoicated with timecode error issues, details of which you will find when searching Adobe's knowledgebase. In short when the tape starts the timecode starts, if you finsih filming and stop the tape to shut it down then restart filming the timecode restarts at however far into the tape you are and later having the same timecodes at two different points on the tape may confuse the synch. You can unlink the audio and drag it to rematch the video again without to much bother in post but to prevent this problem when shooting record for a few more seconds after the shot then rewind the tape back for a second and in the next shot record over that last second. This way there's no break in the timecode and as result no out of synch problem to deal with in post. This is one of those secrets you learn if you go to film school.
                  • 6. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                    Level 1
                    Thank you for your replies.

Jarrod, I appreciate the suggestion about shooting then rewinding a bit. Would "striping" the tape achieve the same result. My technique would be, upon opening up a brand new Mini DV tape, to keep the lens cap on the camera and let it record for the duration of the tape, then rewind and shoot as usual. Would that achieve the same results?
                    • 7. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                      >My technique would be, upon opening up a brand new Mini DV tape, to keep the lens cap on the camera and let it record for the duration of the tape, then rewind and shoot as usual.

That's also a bad idea. If the tape slips at all during transport, or some other transport glitch occurs, then you end up with discontinuous timecode again, and a repeat of the problems that it causes.
                      • 8. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                        Fighting Sticks Level 2
                        Ray Fox,
                        'Striping' the tape, WTF? sorry man you have me confused with someone who's an expert on these matters.
                        • 9. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >having the same timecodes at two different points on the tape may confuse the synch.

I don't believe that's even possible. Timecode is just metadata in the final AVI and has no connection to audio/video sync. I've had messed up timecode in the past with no syn issues whatsoever.

>record for a few more seconds after the shot then rewind the tape back for a second and in the next shot record over that last second.

Cameras will handle this type of thing automatically. It's not a good idea for the user to try and do it himself. It will often lead to more problems, and even when successful will solve none.

>This is one of those secrets you learn if you go to film school.

You're a good guy Jarrod, but that school should do a better check on their teachers. I really think both pieces of advice given are incorrect.
                          • 10. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                            Fighting Sticks Level 2
                            Cool,
                            I'm just saying it wrong, si I'll quote Adobe directly instead :-
                            "To ensure that you always shoot continuous timecode, record at least 5 seconds of extra video past the end of the action in any shot. If you review a clip in the camera, be sure to rewind the tape back into that 5‑second margin before recording again. Your camcorder reads the timecode from the frame on which you stop and begins recording timecode with the very next frame number when you start your next shot. Be careful; if you leave a gap between the last frame of the previous shot and the first frame of the next, the camcorder begins writing timecode at 00:00:00:00 again."

But wait, there's more:-
                            "For best results, timecode should run continuously from the beginning to the end of the tape; it shouldnt restart from zero anywhere in the middle. In editing, if you log a capture In point such as 00:00:01:09 but that number occurs on the tape two or three times because of timecode restarts, Adobe Premiere Pro cant be certain which 00:00:01:09 is the place to start its capture. It can easily capture the wrong clips from tapes with discontinuous timecode. "

There's a complete chapter on 'Timecode' in the knowledgebase. Hey Yo Jay, Yo Jay, check this out -
                            http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/help.html?content=WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b 1038518aef7-7f81.html
                            • 11. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              Jarrod,

The quotes you used are accurate. Timecode breaks wreak havoc on normal capturing. However, there are a number of caveats:

1. Mini DV tapes are very fragile. Striping will NOT gain you anything, quite the contrary as Jeff already pointed out. Striping is something from the last century from the VHS era. One should
                              b NEVER
                              stripe a tape. It has no function whatsoever, apart from causing more drop-outs than you want.

2. If you never remove a tape from the camera until you are finished shooting, there is
                              b NO RISK
                              of timecode breaks, unless you repeatedly change from recording to playback mode and do not use the blank search function.

3. If you remove a tape and reinsert it later and resume shooting, you will have a serious risk of timecode breaks. If you use Sony IC tapes, you can avoid that by using the BLANK SEARCH function. Otherwise your suggestion of shooting a few seconds before the end of your shots is a good suggestion.

STRIPING, REUSING or REMOVING and REINSERTING tapes is
                              b VERY BAD PRACTICE and PENNY WISE POUND FOOLISH.

End of story.
                              • 12. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >If you review a clip in the camera, be sure to rewind the tape back into that 5‑second margin before recording again.

That's good advice. But you don't do it after every shot, only when you switch the camera to playback mode. And the better advice is not to review the clips or remove the tape at all until you're done shooting.

The info on proper batch capturing is also good, but not really related to audio sync issues.
                                • 13. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                                  Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                  Hey Ray Fox,
                                  Just like the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker, I don't want to rock the boat. Here's what Adobe says about striping in that chapter on timecode: -
                                  "You can ensure continuous timecode by recording timecode onto the tape before you use it. This process is called striping the tape. Striping is not necessary if you follow recommended shooting practices, but it can protect you from accidentally breaking timecode by miscuing a tape in your camera."

That's found here:- http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/3.0/help.html?content=WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0 b1038518aef7-7f81.html
                                  • 14. Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    Again, broken timecode won't be related to this issue. Plus it still may be better to have broken timecode than reuse a tape.