4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2009 6:27 PM by Jim_Simon

Best Codec for Exporting 200 Gigabyte Movie?

Hey everyone. I have an uncompressed 200 gigabyte movie in Premiere Pro CS3. I was wondering, what is the best way to export the movie to MPEG-2 DVD so that it will fit on a 9 gigabyte dual layer dvd with the least amount of quality loss? Thanks.

Karizma
        • 1. Re: Best Codec for Exporting 200 Gigabyte Movie?
          Ruud Blauw Level 1
          What is the duration of your movie?
          • 2. Re: Best Codec for Exporting 200 Gigabyte Movie?
            Level 1
            The duration of the movie is 2 hours and 13 seconds.
            • 3. Re: Best Codec for Exporting 200 Gigabyte Movie?
              Ruud Blauw Level 1
              With 133 minutes of material and a dual layer DVD you got 8Mb/s for video plus audio available. Assuming that the audio will be transcoded to Dolby Digital (AC3) at 192Kb/s that leaves 7.8Mb/s for the video.

If you know the player the disc will be played on and you are sure that it not only plays DVD+R DL, but also hasn't got any problems with the highest bit rate allowed then you could use 2-pass VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoding with a 7.8Mb/s target and a 9.6Mb/s maximum bit rate setting. That would give you the best possible quality.

If you want to play it a little safer you could use CBR (Constant Bit Rate) encoding with a 7Mb/s bit rate setting.

In any case I would recommend to use only Verbatim DVD+R DL media and to burn at the lowest speed possible. (Probably 4x.)
              • 4. Re: Best Codec for Exporting 200 Gigabyte Movie?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Two things to add to Ruud's recommendations. DVD+R disks, both single and dual layer, have something known as Booktype. It's basically a code on the burned disk that tells players what kind of disk it is. DVD-R disks have this information hard coded, but for +R disks, it happens during the burning process. The point here is that because it's user written, it can be changed.

The reason you might want to change the Booktype is that DVD+R DL disks have probably the lowest player compatibility of all burnable media out there. I've had computer drives that couldn't read these disks. The solution is to change the Booktype from +R to DVD-ROM. It's not a real ROM disk, of course, but the code fools the player into thinking it is, and so vastly increases the number of players such disks will play well on.

Make sure you burner will allow the DVD-ROM setting for DVD+R DL disks. Some do it by default, some you have to change once and you're good, some you have to change every time you reboot. Nero's free tool DiskSpeed has a way to check what the Booktype of your disks will be after they're burned.

The second recommendation is Falcon disks. They're available in the US only from Diskmakers, but in my experience they turn out with fewer errors than the pressed disks Hollywood makes.