4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 7:29 AM by (raymond_setzer)

avi and mp4 imports

i do not own a camcorder because i use a digital camera (canon powershot SD870 IS). i tried to import an avi file and it did not work. mp4 did not work either. only a file type called .mov was working but my camera records in avi. i dont want to always change the file formats so is there any way i can make this work?

Daniel
        • 1. Re: avi and mp4 imports
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Buy a video camera?
          • 2. Re: avi and mp4 imports
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Daniel,

Your best results ("best" will be a personal determinination) will be to convert the .AVI (now unknown CODEC) to DV-AVI. Many programs will do this for you and some are freeware, while others are shareware. Some will even do a "batch" convert of all of your .AVI's. You will probably need the correct CODEC installed on your machine, but the Canon software probably did this for you.

If you have problems, get G-Spot (www.headbands.com/gspot) and run your .AVI files through it. It will tell you what the CODEC is, and whether you have it installed properly. If not, you'll need to Google for that CODEC (G-spot gives you the full, correct name) and install it.

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: avi and mp4 imports
              Level 1
              i found this program called MPEG Streamclip and it works quite well. i didnt want to always do it but i guess anything else would cost money or worsen the quality of the video itself. thanks bunches though.
              • 4. Re: avi and mp4 imports
                Level 1
                Daniel_P@adobeforums.com wrote:
                > found this program called MPEG Streamclip and it works quite well. i didnt want to always do it but i guess anything else would cost money or worsen the quality of the video itself. thanks bunches though.

Your camera records a Motion Jpeg format. Its a format that often causes
                problems with editing programs. You have found the proper workaround
                with mpg streamclip.