15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 9:10 PM by (dave_marshak)

Playback in CS3 is choppy

I use a Canon HG10. I love it, it's amazing. I use Imtoo HD video conversion to convert from the original AVCHD format to h.264 mpeg4. These files play smoothly, cleanly, and looks great in any video player. Import it into CS3 and it's choppy. I am assuming my video contains more frames than CS3 is allowing me to import? Is this in fact true and if so what can be done? anything? If not can anyone clue me in to what I am missing.

I tried searching for my issue, but mostly I got tons of threads about people having trouble even converting AVCHD into a usable format.
        • 1. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >I...convert...the original AVCHD format to h.264 mpeg4.

The former is essentially the same as the latter, which may explain the performance problems in CS3.
          • 2. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
            Level 1
            So essentially, CS3 just cant handle HD, or not that level of it?

Is CS4 better equipped? I mean I know the issue is not my system.
            • 3. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              You mean you suppose you know that HD can't be handled by CS3, but you assume you mean to say you know your system can't be at fault based on your assumptions? Am I correct in assuming this supposition is possibly correct or are there things I do not yet know that may lead me to mean these assumptions may correctly lead me to incorrect conclusions or the other way around? Sorry, I have lost my correct reasoning based on my complete understanding of what I do not know or assume to know, hence my complete lack of whatever....
              • 4. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                CS3 doesn't play nice with AVCHD. You might try converting the originals to something a little more editing friendly. Upshift is one program that handles this task. Costs about $50. Cineform may also provide other options.

CS4 is built for editing AVCHD, but some folks still have issues.
                • 5. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                  Level 1
                  I can convert to anything, no problem. I just didnt know :(

I see what your saying about CS4. Would it be worth it to upgrade now to CS4, or should I wait for 5 and see what happens there? I understand it's just an opinion etc, but it's more info than I have now.

I mean to say I am positive based on my understanding of computers as far as the technology and specs go, which is advanced, that the issue is not a lack of performance or ability to handle these formats and resolutions smoothly. Not just upon the fact that I can play the file in any video player at full size with no issues, but also just by knowing my PC is powerful enough, also the sticker that came on it declaring that it's native resolution was "Full HD 1080" didnt hurt either. Knowing it works fine under more stressful needs, and of the video itself is an instant insight that the issue is emanating from CS3 not from a system wide issue. As if those werent enough, I play Crysis on it at near HD resolutions with no problems, and I wouldnt call that supposition, but overkill.
                  • 6. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Sorry to disappoint you, but stickers on a PC are marketing gimmicks. They mean nothing in real life. Secondly, playing Crysis, whatever that may contain, is bad practice. Playing games or whatever on a NLE machine is just bad practice and should be avoided at all costs.
                    • 7. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Harm's right, Dave. It is entirely possible that even with CS4 your machine would not be up to the task of smoothly editing AVCHD. Playing back the stuff and editing the stuff with Premiere Pro are two very different tasks.

As to whether or not you should upgrade, my own opinion is that one should just not use GOP codecs in their source media. (Which means buying a Panasonic HVX200A if you want HD.)
                      • 8. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                        Level 1
                        I understand what he is saying, I do not, however appreciate the way he's gone about saying it. I think it's pretty much passive aggressive and a bit mocking and uncalled for. That's the only issue I have with him.

I know what I'm talking about when it comes too my machine. I would not have said something I was not sure of. I have and editing program and it handles the video fine, but I like the familiarity I have with CS3. I know it and I've used it. I'm quite sure it can handle this. The point of my statement is that the game in question at those resolutions, can only be handled by the highest performance peripherals out right now. Like the newer graphics in SLI, the xtreme edition dual cores and up, sata drives, and gobs of good latency ram.

I'm not trying to build or use this machine as a dedicated editing machine, and I shouldnt have to be to be taken seriously. he has a bad attitude from the moment he first posted and the manner in which he did so.

I appreciate your help and I do knoww what you mean. I had no idea CS3 had issues with AVCHD and h.264, for that i apologize. i am not a video expert, but i knew enough about PC's to know thats not the issue. I built the thing myself it's nearly cutting edge, though that will only last all of 5 minutes still...
                        • 9. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Again, just because one program can edit the media doesn't mean CS4 can. It's very possible that CS4 uses more resources while editing and will still cause choppy playback.

About the only user I've heard from so far who says it works great is using a souped up system with one of the new Core i7 processors from Intel.
                          • 10. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                            Level 1
                            I understand, again if he had taken your attitude in approaching me with that info I likely would have been just as I am now. So to you i apologize, i meant no harm, but I get a bit tired of that kind of attitude is all, and I let it get the best of me. he acted like because I'm not trying to be a PRO with a dedicated machine I'm an idiot and thats no way to act. Why cant I be taken seriously? Read his original post...

To be honest I dont need it to be HD. It just shoots in HD. It does a fine enough job for me. I just want to make long streams of video that by itself is not altogether entertaining into more coherent and entertaining video as requested by family and friends you know, just as I always have. I just decided this year to get a HDD model and I choose this after extensive searching. I'm not unhappy with either product (camera or software), I just want to figure out what I need to do to do what I was doing before I upgraded. your answer helped immediatley, but i questioned whether it would be better to downgrade the format or to buy the newer version of Premiere knowing that most likely I would eventually have to upgrade anyway, and hoped you'd have insight.

Again I apologize, I meant no harm, but I wont sit as he acts that way towards me either.
                            • 11. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                              Bill Heslip Level 1
                              >As to whether or not you should upgrade, my own opinion is that one should just not use GOP codecs in their source media. (Which means buying a Panasonic HVX200A if you want HD.)

Is your opinion based on personal experience or hearsay? What HD camera do you shoot with?
                              • 12. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                                Level 1
                                dave_marshak@adobeforums.com wrote:
                                > I understand, again if he had taken your attitude in approaching me
                                > with that info I likely would have been just as I am now. So to you i
                                > apologize, i meant no harm, but I get a bit tired of that kind of
                                > attitude is all, and I let it get the best of me. he acted like
                                > because I'm not trying to be a PRO with a dedicated machine I'm an
                                > idiot and thats no way to act. Why cant I be taken seriously? Read
                                > his original post...

To be fair, I feel the same way about replies in that tone as well.
                                Tends to make people afraid to ask any questions at all.
                                >
                                > To be honest I dont need it to be HD. It just shoots in HD. It does a
                                > fine enough job for me. I just want to make long streams of video
                                > that by itself is not altogether entertaining into more coherent and
                                > entertaining video as requested by family and friends you know, just
                                > as I always have. I just decided this year to get a HDD model and I
                                > choose this after extensive searching. I'm not unhappy with either
                                > product (camera or software), I just want to figure out what I need
                                > to do to do what I was doing before I upgraded. your answer helped
                                > immediatley, but i questioned whether it would be better to downgrade
                                > the format or to buy the newer version of Premiere knowing that most
                                > likely I would eventually have to upgrade anyway, and hoped you'd
                                > have insight.
                                >
                                > Again I apologize, I meant no harm, but I wont sit as he acts that
                                > way towards me either.
                                • 13. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                                  Level 1
                                  Dave, don't take it personally or change the way you do things because of Harm's ignorant comments. He does that to everyone who he feels superior to (which is almost everyone). He makes the entire "user-to-user help forum" concept a bit hostile. I am not sure what his goal is. Other people on this site are Premiere (and Microsoft)syncophants and believe that Premiere can do no wrong. Many people are having the same problem that you are having and they are not bad people. Have some patience and once the dust settles someone will come on with some helpful advice for your problem.
                                  • 14. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                    >syncophants

syncophants (sink · ō · fănts) n. Large, pachyderm-like animals whose chief characteristic is habitually slow, plodding addition and deletion of entries in databases, address books and calendars around the world.
                                    • 15. Re: Playback in CS3 is choppy
                                      Level 1
                                      I know and I hope so. He might be knowledgeable but his attitude makes you quit listening.