6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 8:09 AM by Jim_Simon

converting VHS to Premiere

Can anyone recommend a good device to convert VHS to Premiere? I want to convert all my old VHS home movies to Premiere so I can edit them and then burn them to DVD. I've searched around and haven't found anything that looks good. Like the "Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device" seems to be what I would want, yet the reviews for this product are bad so I need to find something else.

Thanks for you suggestions.
        • 1. Re: converting VHS to Premiere
          Level 1
          Ty_Kelly@adobeforums.com wrote:
          > Can anyone recommend a good device to convert VHS to Premiere? I want to convert all my old VHS home movies to Premiere so I can edit them and then burn them to DVD. I've searched around and haven't found anything that looks good. Like the "Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture Device" seems to be what I would want, yet the reviews for this product are bad so I need to find something else.
          >
          > Thanks for you suggestions.

Does your camcorder have 'pass through' ability? Some camcorders allow
          you to hook up analog connections and have them passed directly through
          to the capture app via the firewire connection.
          • 2. Re: converting VHS to Premiere
            I'm using the av in function of a canon Xl2 (then firewire out to pc & dv capture app).
            Pretty sure the same dv-to-av is available on most mid-decade high end mini dv camcorders - becuase you're not using the tape/recorder part, you'll be safe buying a second hand one.

looks great, perfect for vhs, But!
            I've also got priceless 3ccd 1990's S-vhs originals I want to get into premiere, and I've got a feeling this way isn't getting every last bit of quality off the tape. or throught the xl2 circuitry.
            (hence I've zero knowledge of any of the legion of cheap vhs to pc usb devices)

:So Thanks inadvance for anyone's bigger money Svhs suggestions, too!
            (no probs if none, will share whatever I've researched out in a few months)
            • 3. Re: converting VHS to Premiere
              Level 1
              jackbarber@adobeforums.com wrote:
              > I'm using the av in function of a canon Xl2 (then firewire out to pc & dv capture app).
              > Pretty sure the same dv-to-av is available on most mid-decade high end mini dv camcorders - becuase you're not using the tape/recorder part, you'll be safe buying a second hand one.
              >
              > looks great, perfect for vhs, But!
              > I've also got priceless 3ccd 1990's S-vhs originals I want to get into premiere, and I've got a feeling this way isn't getting every last bit of quality off the tape. or throught the xl2 circuitry.
              > (hence I've zero knowledge of any of the legion of cheap vhs to pc usb devices)
              >
              > :So Thanks inadvance for anyone's bigger money Svhs suggestions, too!
              > (no probs if none, will share whatever I've researched out in a few months)

I ended up getting a Svhs player off Ebay which I fed through the analog
              inputs on my camcorder. The quality stayed decent.
              • 4. Re: converting VHS to Premiere
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Adobe forums posting guidelines

Don't quote previous messages. Only quote when absolutely necessary. Readers can easily view previous messages in their newsreader when needed. If your newsreader has a setting to toggle quoting on and off, set it to off.
                • 5. Re: converting VHS to Premiere
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Jim,

I would guess that Raymond is accessing the forum from a news reader NTTP feed. There *should* be a setting in the news reader to not quote, but that might vary reader to reader.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: converting VHS to Premiere
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I do know it comes from a Reader. I've always found that "quoting the whole message" thing annoying. Now that I know it's against the rules, I'm just making others aware of it as well.

(Personally, I think everyone should just use the web. The posts look better.)