9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2009 9:52 PM by (C._David_Young)

type of camcorder

ok so im using premiere cs3 on my mac and my birthday is comin soon. ive been thinking of getting a camcorder cause im tired of this digital camera.
      i dont wanna really get a mini dv because of cleaning and buying extra tapes. also theres alot of moving parts that im afraid of breaking :P
      what types of camcorders are compatible with premiere, price range 250 and lower preferably, and highest quality?

Daniel
        • 1. Re: type of camcorder
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Your fears are unfounded. MiniDV is the best choice.
          • 2. Re: type of camcorder
            Level 1
            but if i get a min DV it will be relatively large camcorder. sure the quality would be great but i want something handy. are SD camcorders compatible with premiere?
            • 3. Re: type of camcorder
              Level 1
              i found this camcorder called
              Insignia® - 5.0MP High-Definition Digital Camcorder with 3" Swivel LCD Screen
              im not sure what kind of file type this is but from customer reviews and the look of it its awesome! very small looking but is it compatiable with premiere?
              • 4. Re: type of camcorder
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Waste of money, not compatible with Premiere, save up a little more for a camcorder from one off the top brands.
                • 5. Re: type of camcorder
                  Level 1
                  what would u people recommend? something with good quality, size, and compatibility with macs
                  • 6. Re: type of camcorder
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    MiniDV, Daniel. If you want to edit, get a tape based MiniDV. Hard drive and DVD camcorders do not create files that edit very well. They're designed more for the shoot and watch crowd.
                    • 7. Re: type of camcorder
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      For a Firewire DV Camera - look at Panasonic PV-GS320 or GS500 (Note that I have not used either, but they have good reviews)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_PV_GS320/4505-6500_7-32330317.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camcorders/panasonic-pv-gs500/4505-6500_7-31660646.html
                      • 8. Re: type of camcorder
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Daniel,

I do not have current model names/numbers, but would take what Jim and others have said as gospel. If you wish to edit, without grief, you'll look to a mini DV-tape based camera. That is the best. Do not listen to the salespeople, as they have likely never used an NLE program to edit.

If you only wish to record and view, then the field is open. Otherwise, go with tape for now. Things might change in time, but not now.

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: type of camcorder
                          (C._David_Young) Level 1
                          Let me state right up front that I have a Sony FX1 so I can appreciate the value of a good camera.

However, I recently went on a sailing vacation to Puerto Vallarta and I would never consider taking my FX1 out on the ocean without a waterproof housing. So instead, I decided to try out my Canon SD950 ELPH which has 8 Gb of memory and allows me to take more than an hour of 1024x768 video, which is roughly 720p at 15 fps with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Even with the limitations of this little camera, the video I got is amazing. The fact that I was able to carry it around in my pocket and whip it out at a moments notice allowed me to get some amazing shots that would have been completely missed if I were wrestling with an FX1 in a housing.

So there is something to be said for an inexpensive, small, solid state camera. If you are just using it for family vacations and such it may be perfect. The clips that it creates are stored as .avi files that work perfectly with Premiere. From there you can create 720p Blu-ray productions that rival that of much larger mini-DV cameras.