12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2009 12:11 PM by tweety-011

can't activate camera, please reset

tweety-011
      Hi,

This answer I get when I connect my XM2 Canon camera (not only this camera but also other camera's) on my MAC computer.
      The only way to capture my film is via iMOVIE program that is on the MAC and than import the files into premiere pro. I dont know why this is happening. It did work before..
      Does anyone know how i can change that so that I can capture directly into Premiere Pro CS3?

I would appriciate any help.. thanks in advance,
      Ine
        • 1. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b76dfd/27
          • 2. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
            tweety-011 Level 1
            My problem is that my Premiere Pro give me the message.. "Cant activate camera, please reset camera.." when I try to capture my film into Premiere Pro CS3. I have hooked up the camera with a firewire cable. The Computer does recognize the camera in another MAC programm, called iMovie as I work on iMAC (apple).
            I have search the net for information, tried a lot but none of them gave me the solution.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
            Ine
            • 3. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
              What steps did you try? What happened when you tried them?
              • 4. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                tweety-011 Level 1
                Steps:
                I opened Premiere pro CS3
                Went to File , Capture .. a menu appears with capture device. On top on that menu it sais.. Cant activate Recorder; Try resetting Camera. '
                Also the project settings appear.

Project settings:
                General:
                Quick time DV PAL (as I am in the Netherlands, Europe)
                display format 25 fps timecode
                title safe 20 20
                action safe 10 10
                display format audio samples

Capture: Format quicktime
                Video rendering 3 tracks
                audio master stereo

Checked the project settings and 'than I clicked on OK.

As soon as I click on OK I get back on the capture page.. on top now it sais.. STOPPED.
                The record button below is not activated.

So it wont record my film.

Kind regards,
                Ine
                • 5. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Are the camera settings OK?
                  • 6. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                    tweety-011 Level 1
                    You asked:Are the camera settings ok..
                    By using the apple film editting program IMovie, the computer (and program) does see the camera immediately.

My conclusion therefor is that the camera settings are ok..
                    • 7. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      On a PC I would try turning on the camera first so that is recognized and then start PR or if that does not work, to turn on the camera after PR has started. On a MAC I don't know, but rumor has it that Canon can be picky in being recognized. Try different methods to activate. I had similar problems once with the XL-H1 and it boiled down to trying various methods of starting, either before or after PR was started.
                      • 8. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                        tweety-011 Level 1
                        Hi Harm,

Did tried the above mentioned solutions, but unfortunately without any result.
                        As soon as I turn on the camera my iMovie activates and sais.. camera found..
                        Opening Premiere Pro.. it let me go to capture.. but than same as above."cant record etc.. I have restarted the machine etc.. started up my camera first.. but nothing helped.. The Mac does see the camera.. but Premiere Pro doesnt! Thats the problem
                        As I said earlier.. I capture my films but than via another program, and import it to Premiere Pro.. without losing quality.. But it's not the way it should go..
                        • 9. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          You are not going to agree directly, but getting a PC would be an advantage.
                          • 10. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                            tweety-011 Level 1
                            Oh I have an XP machine.. but I dont have Premiere Pro CS 3 for XP...lol
                            and my iMAC is just 8 months old..

Or what do you mean with.. getting a PC.. an iMAC IS a PC..lol Apple
                            • 11. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                              Level 1
                              A couple of things: Do you have an external Firewire drive hooked to your Mac? Disconnect it. Sometimes the Canon does not play nicely with other Firewire connections. Also, it is possible that iMovie or maybe Quicktime has a preset that makes iMovie the default for importing via Firewire. Check the preferences in both of those programs.
                              Under no circumstances should you give up your Mac. I am forcibly being held hostage in the PC media world and it is hell. I would give up my right arm to be back in the Mac World. BTW, why are you using Premiere on a Mac? Why not go with Final Cut, either Express or Pro? Much easier and much more intuitive.
                              • 12. Re: can't activate camera, please reset
                                tweety-011 Level 1
                                Hi Robert,

I dont want to change my iMAC into XP, I have both actually...lol.. but... you said something about the default of firewire connection.. I would love to try your solution out but I really need some help here. As I have my iMAC just a few months I dont know how to find the default yet. Would you help me out here please.
                                I have Final Cut but CS has those magnificent AE and other stuff that I really love to work with.. But maybe I will try..now I have to make a movie and it has to be finish asap. So now I dont want to change and learn myself final cut.. next movie when i have more time to find out things.. i will try final cut.
                                Thanks in advance.
                                Ine