11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 2:55 PM by bill66man

HDV workflow,...what do you do.

gold987987987 Level 1
      I'm editing HDV 24f from a XH-A1 in PP CS3.
      I'm done with my edit and I'd like to import the final footage into AE, but I don't know the best way to accomplish this. How would you export this footage from PP? (Settings?)

After playing in AE, I'd need to export back into PP, how would you export that? (Settings?)

Basically, I'm asking what is your workflow with HDV from PP to AE and back to PP again.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
          (C._David_Young) Level 1
          Just stay in the native settings of the original footage. I don't use AE but I understand that the interface with Premiere is pretty seamless.
          • 2. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
            gold987987987 Level 1
            Well I do know you can't stay in the native settings because AE doesn't play with HDV or mpeg well. I've heard something about exporting to a Quicktime Animation movie then importing into AE???? Does this sound right?
            • 3. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
              gold987987987 Level 1
              Come on, there's gotta be someone out there with a workflow.
              • 4. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                If you have the whole Production Studio, you can just dynamically-link your Premiere sequence into an AE composition. Not only do you not have to render out of Premiere (and then render out of AE when you're done), but any changes you make to your Pr sequence will update automatically in AE.
                • 5. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                  jefbak Level 1
                  In the case where one might want to export HDV to quicktime animation codec, does anyone know what the export settings should be for the fields? It defaults to lower field using the export movie setting, but hdv is upper field so I am a little confused.
                  • 6. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                    gold987987987 Level 1
                    Yep, I've figured out the best way is the Quicktime Animation codec, but not sure about all the other details.

We need someone to write a PP to AE to PP to final export guide.
                    I'd pay $20 for a detailed professional guide like that.
                    • 7. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                      Level 1
                      I'm working with HD projects all the time, and many are animation, and it took me a good while to find a decent recipe for the workflow. This would apply whether animation or live footage. I don't use Dynamic Link at all as I had several disasters with it going on holiday when it felt like it and leaving us in big trouble. Best get renders out as files to work with.

An example of my workflow when working in 720p having to strip image sequence renders from Maya.. is to export them from Premiere in Quicktime uncompressed 10bit setting dims to 1280x720 which After Effects seems to love. Then going back the other way I export from After effects in AVI uncompressed with stretch to 1280x720p and Premiere copes with editing those fine too. For final export from Premiere that depends where it's going, but the downgrade to SD using the normal broadcast formats is easy and works well.

I get better results with the 10 bit than the animation codec...for animation..for some reason. Having compared the results on big projected screens that's my conclusion anyway.
                      Hope that helps.
                      • 8. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                        bill66man Level 1
                        For what it's worth, I came up with this workflow several weeks ago. I use Cineform as my intermediate codec when editing in HDV 24p, so this may not apply to you at all. But it may be worth something to someone--

To import into After Effects from Premiere and Back:

1. In Premiere, Export a sequence from the timeline as a Cineform avi file.
                        2. Make sure to use only After Effects CS3.
                        3. Make sure Cineform Neo HD and Neo Player are installed on AE computer (if AE is running on a seperate computer).
                        4. In After Effects, import the file. Make sure the composition settings are at
                        5. Custom Preset, Width: 1440, Height: 1080, Pixel/Aspect Ratio: HDV 1080/DVCPROHD 720, Frame Rate: 23.976 Frames per second.
                        6. Add effects.
                        7. Once Effects are applied to the Composition, go to Add to Render Queue
                        8. In the Render Queue window, the Output Module Format setting should be set to Cineform avi. If Cineform avi is not listed, make sure Neo HD has been installed (trial version will be just fine). Leave all other settings alone.
                        9. Output to will be the name of the file you are outputting to.
                        10. Click on Render.
                        11. Import that file back into Premiere. There should be no rendering necessary. The clip should play just fine in the timeline.

Bill
                        • 9. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                          gold987987987 Level 1
                          Cool, that's all very helpful. I'm really hoping to find the best work flow possible without having to buy Cineform.
                          • 10. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                            stenapp Level 1
                            Bill, I'm using Cineform, but it's Aspect HD 5.0 (soon to be Prospect HD) not Neo. Do I specifically need Neo to do this? I have to ask, because I'm having trouble getting AE CS3 to read any 1440x1080 files made with a Cineform codec at the moment. Any thoughts?
                            • 11. Re: HDV workflow,...what do you do.
                              bill66man Level 1
                              To import into After Effects, you just need Neo Player installed on the computer with AE on it in order to play the files. Actually, I'm not even sure that you need that if you have AspectHD installed.

To export a finished composition from After Effects, you need install NeoHD to ensure AE has the Cineform codec to output with.