5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 8:10 AM by the_wine_snob

Export SD from iMovie for editing in CS3

Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
      I'm surprised I haven't found more about this here, on videohelp, and on the apple forums.

SD DV captured in iMovie and edited. The person finishing the DVD is on PC. (I'm neither of the two people.)

My advice to the client is to finish the project on the system it is started on. But I would like to have a better idea of the options.

What is the recommendation as to format from iMovie? If quicktime what settings?

I don't know yet, but let's assume iMovie 06. (iMovie 08 apparently kills SD.)
        • 1. Re: Export SD from iMovie for editing in CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          PC generally works best with DV AVI Type 2 files.
          • 2. Re: Export SD from iMovie for editing in CS3
            Ha, ha! Yes, of course, but iMovie at best gives you an apple dv that, as far as I recall other users' experiences reported here is not with a friendly codec or some kind of problems. Can anyone confirm that an iMovie exported dv avi (type 2 or converted to type 2) a) is possible and b) works (or doesn't work).
            • 3. Re: Export SD from iMovie for editing in CS3
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Stanley,

Just a guess, but unless the Mac is also running Windows, I would suspect that they will not have any .AVI output options - only flavors of .MOV.

I've had pretty good luck Importing .MOV files into PP. Do not know all of the variations, so some .MOV's might work fine, and others not so well.

If the PC has QT-Pro installed, about any real .MOV (not some tricked up special CODEC version), should be able to be converted (Export) to DV-AVI with MS DV CODEC.

Sorry that I cannot give you hard-fast rules, as I do not have a Mac, and have not directly Imported anything that I know came from iMovie. Maybe I have, but just did not know it.

Still, my advice would be to finish in iMovie on Mac. However, some clients want to do things the hard way. If they are headed in that direction, I'd suggest not doing too much trimming in iMovie and adding no Transitions. This would allow for tighter editing and Handles, when on the PC. Just Exporting the raw Capture footage would probably be best, then use QT-Pro to convert to DV-AVI Type II for editing on the PC.

Let us know how it goes and any pitfalls that occur. I, for one, can always learn about X-platform exchange of Assets and what works best.

Good luck,

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Export SD from iMovie for editing in CS3
                Bottom line: the clients exported from the mac back to miniDV; captured on the PC.

iMovie did have some AVI flavor to export; it just seems to me that there have been problems with those.

Yes, one of the best options might to use QTpro on the PC to convert whatever mov they sent over to an avi.

I'll try to get more information from the PC person as to what they couldn't handle.
                • 5. Re: Export SD from iMovie for editing in CS3
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Good luck. It sounds like my knowledge of things Mac is limited and incorrect. I was unaware that a Mac-only Mac (is that correct syntax?) could output to AVI. Hey, learned something new and it's still early!

Let us know how it goes. As Mac's and PC's get closer together, especially through Adobe programs, it pays to learn what is really on the other side of the wall. You know over on the "Dark Side... "

Hunt