13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2009 5:00 PM by Eddie Lotter

Project File Question

si conehead Level 2
      I have 2 prproj files for the exact same project, yet they are different
      sizes. Anyone know why?

Steve
        • 1. Re: Project File Question
          Level 1
          What is the "date modified" on the two files? This can be found through windows explorer, or my computer (explorer is better to use for file seraching!). Could be they are a backup or one was a previous version...
          • 2. Re: Project File Question
            si conehead Level 2
            One was later than the other but they are the exact same project and assets.
            • 3. Re: Project File Question
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Steve,

Are they located in the same folder? If not, which folders are they in? If so, what are the differences in the file names?

Often, if there has been a crash, PP will end up with an incremented version of the Project. If the crash happened after your last edit, these can be indentical. The name, or the location, might give a clue as to how you got a second PRPROJ file for the same Project.

Hunt
              • 4. Re: Project File Question
                si conehead Level 2
                Hunt,

They have different names. I created them at different
                times using Save As but they are the exact same project with no changes.

This isn't a big deal. I was just curious why they would be different sizes.

Steve
                • 5. Re: Project File Question
                  Level 1
                  Ah, using SaveAs will create another copy I believe, for failsafe purposes should you not trust or want to bother with sifting through autosaves. Save will just overwrite.

Jett
                  • 6. Re: Project File Question
                    si conehead Level 2
                    That's not my question.
                    • 7. Re: Project File Question
                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      Are you sure that absolutely nothing was changed in the project? No edits, no sequences deleted, etc. I think something like that must be the "why."

But you can determine WHAT is different. Use a file compare utility to compare the two files. Copy them and change the extension to txt if you need to. The project files are xml, and you can determine exactly what is different.

Report back; I'm curious!
                      • 8. Re: Project File Question
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        SteveCohen,

Stepping back a bit, and not directly addressing what you have, and why they *may* be identical, there are three "Save" functions, with three similar, though different aspects to them.

Save - Saves your Project (same filename) over any previous Saved versions, in the exact state that the Project is in, when you hit the button, or Ctrl-s.

Save_As - Saves your Project (prompt for different filename) and does not overwrite anything, unless you choose a filename that already exists. Important difference: You are now working in the newly named Save_As Project, not your original. Note the filename change at the top of your Project. Any files Saved with the original name are still there, and will not be changed by later Saves - you are now in your new Project.

Save_As_a_Copy - Saves a copy of your Project with a new filename, but you are still in your original Project. Note filename at top of screen is unchanged. Your Save_As_a_Copy is Saved in the exact state that it was in, when you hit the button, and any new edits will NOT appear in it. They will only appear when you do a Save or Save_As from it, and with the filename of either the original (first case) or with an assigned filename (latter case).

Similar, but with important differences. Of course we may also have the AutoSave files and if Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy were used, you will likely have folders with AutoSaves reflecting which you may have used. [Review over]

Now, Stanley has a great idea for finding any differences between the two files. It could be something as tiny as having one Panel in focus in one, and another in focus in the other. Or, maybe just some shifting of Assets in Bins, etc. Really good call Stanley. I'd have missed that one.

Color me "curious" as well.

Good luck,

Hunt
                        • 9. Re: Project File Question
                          si conehead Level 2
                          The project is made up of one 20 minute avi file with no transitions or
                          effects. From a file compare it looks like the difference in length of the
                          prjoect file is caused by extra lines of xml in one file that seems to be
                          related to PPro views. I know nothing about XML so I could be wrong. Some
                          PPro xml expert would have to figure this out.

Stanley, thanks for steering me in that direction.

Again, this was no big deal but I was curious.

Thanks all.

Steve
                          • 10. Re: Project File Question
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            SteveCohen,

Maybe you did a Render and the Links to those files account for the difference in file size, as there will now be extra lines.

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: Project File Question
                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              Thanks for reporting back. That was fun! History/undo, panel status as Hunt suspects? Wonder what else is lurking inside that file?
                              • 12. Re: Project File Question
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Maybe a copy of the Rosetta Stone and the complete Da Vinci Code?

Hunt