7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2009 7:44 AM by (aya_b)

cropping with media encoder withour black lines

I found a number of similar posts, but none solve the same problem I have:
      When I save a video in Premiere CS3 with the media encoder, I get black lines on the sides of the video. I noticed that I use crop (in the encoder) of 4:3 but it actually gives me a window that isn't of that exact size (for instance 200X151 pixels). I save the video (in MPEG-2) in size 360X270, so the extra pixels might be the cause of the black lines.

When I crop to some rectangle and save the video in the exact same pixel sizes (not just ratio), I don't get the lines.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the black lines?

Thanks!
      Aya
        • 1. Re: cropping with media encoder withour black lines
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          What is your source material and what project settings?
          • 2. Re: cropping with media encoder withour black lines
            Level 1
            The project settings are desktop editing, 30 fps, size 360X270, square pixels, lower field first (I don't know which settings are important for this)
            The video I load is with codec VP6F (FFMPEG) - I have flv and using virtualDub I converted them to avi, trying to keep the original quality (which isn't too good to begin with), so I could work with premiere.
            Then, in premiere, the only way I found to crop the video (without it being resized) to the size I wanted was to use the media encoder, and only MPEG-2 codec (for some reason all other codecs that I tried resulted in a movie with problems, like jumping or blurring)

I've been working for days trying to get an flv into premiere, then cropped and edited in premiere (I cut short clips from the original movie) and back to an avi with some standard codec.

The main problem is currently the black bars (but any general suggestions would also be helpful :). The only way I managed to somehow get rid of them is to save the movie in the exact size of the cropping (which isn't really good, because I need to resize). But then when I open the video in VirtualDubMod it has black bars again...

Help!
            Thanks,
            Aya
            • 3. Re: cropping with media encoder withour black lines
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I have flv and using virtualDub I converted them to avi

Converting to AVI isn't the issue. Converting to usable codec is the goal, and VP6F is probably not a good choice.

Quite honestly, Premiere may be the wrong tool for this job. It's a professional level editor and tends to work best with professional source media. Consumer editors may work more successfully with downloaded consumer video that was never meant for editing to begin with.
              • 4. Re: cropping with media encoder withour black lines
                Level 1
                For now I'll probably continue with Premiere, since restarting the project would take too long, but I'll definitely keep that in mind for the next project.

Do you maybe have any recommendations regarding a Consumer editor? The reason I didn't use one of those (like Windows Movie Maker) to begin with is that I need high precision (I need to be able to cut movies at specific frames)

Someone mentioned Premiere Elements - do you think that would have been better?
                If I do use Premiere - which codecs (that don't recompress the data) would be better to use?

Thanks for your help!
                • 5. Re: cropping with media encoder withour black lines
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  VideoHelp.com may be a good place for such information. I've never actually worked with such consumer media, so I can't really recommend a better program. I just know from reading that Premiere Pro often has a tough time of it.
                  • 6. Re: cropping with media encoder withour black lines
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    What is the intended destination for the edited video? Broadcast? Web (Corporate or Personal)? DVD? Portable Device (Phone or iPod)?

How did you acquire the source footage? Video camera? Digital Still camera? DVD Rip? Web Download?

There may be different ways to deal with your footage based on the answers to these questions.
                    • 7. Re: cropping with media encoder withour black lines
                      Level 1
                      I'll check VideoHelp - thanks!

The edited video is going to be used in a research experiment, it is going to be presented on a regular computer, using a specialized software for presenting stimuli in such experiments.

The origin of the videos is web download, of varying quality.

I think it's more or less ok (though I lost some quality, which wasn't great to begin with) - I used VirtualDubMod to convert the MPEG-2 files to ffdshow XVid, and it seems to work (it only removes two frames in the beginning of each movie, I haven't found a way to solve it yet).

Do you have any suggestions?

I really appreciate all the help!