5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2009 7:07 AM by Jim_Simon

Can I export as .dv?

Hi,

I am working with a client who broadcasts footage in .dv format... Apparently this is what their playout system works with.

At the moment, due to file transfer time deadlines and size limits, I am sending my files as mpeg... avi takes ages to send thru FTP.

The files are 15-20 minute long and for actual TV broadcast...

However, they then need to convert it into their .dv format to be able to play it out...

Now:

1- I know I'm losing quality when I export as mpeg, but is there any further loss when they convert into .dv?

2- Does Premiere Pro CS3 support .dv? Is there any way that I can export the project as a .dv file within Premiere Pro to avoid any further quality loss?

3- Also, any other suggestions to export the footage with a better qualkity is more than welcome.

Here are the export settings I use for Adobe Media Encoder:

FORMAT: MPEG2
      TV STANDARD: PAL
      FRAME SIZE: 720x576
      FRAME RATE: 25
      FIELD ORDER: NON PROGRESSIVE
      PIXEL ASPECT RATIO: 16:9 (1.422)
      PROFILE: MAIN
      LEVEL: MAIN
      BITRATE ENCODING: CBR 8Mbps
      GOP SETTINGS: M FRAMES 3 - N FRAMES 12

Thanks for all the thoughts...

Regards
        • 1. Re: Can I export as .dv?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          The quality loss comes with the original MPEG compression. Converting to the superior .dv files shouldn't add additional losses.

Premiere can't create .dv files directly (that I know of). It works with and creates only DV AVI Type 2 files (or .mov on Macs). But there may be a way to 'convert' the .avi files to .dv files without any quality loss. Check around Google.

Just keep in mind that even if you find such a converter, you're back to the same FTP time issues, as .dv and .avi will be the same size, just a slightly different file format.
          • 2. Re: Can I export as .dv?
            Level 1
            Thanks very much Jim...
            • 3. Re: Can I export as .dv?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              You're welcome.
              • 4. Re: Can I export as .dv?
                winFF (free) will convert .avi to .dv<br /><br />Jeff<br /><br /><br /><br /><Cenk_Erdil@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:59b78bc6.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi,<br />><br />> I am working with a client who broadcasts footage in .dv format... <br />> Apparently this is what their playout system works with.<br />><br />> At the moment, due to file transfer time deadlines and size limits, I am <br />> sending my files as mpeg... avi takes ages to send thru FTP.<br />><br />> The files are 15-20 minute long and for actual TV broadcast...<br />><br />> However, they then need to convert it into their .dv format to be able to <br />> play it out...<br />><br />> Now:<br />><br />> 1- I know I'm losing quality when I export as mpeg, but is there any <br />> further loss when they convert into .dv?<br />><br />> 2- Does Premiere Pro CS3 support .dv? Is there any way that I can export <br />> the project as a .dv file within Premiere Pro to avoid any further quality <br />> loss?<br />><br />> 3- Also, any other suggestions to export the footage with a better <br />> qualkity is more than welcome.<br />><br />> Here are the export settings I use for Adobe Media Encoder:<br />><br />> FORMAT: MPEG2<br />> TV STANDARD: PAL<br />> FRAME SIZE: 720x576<br />> FRAME RATE: 25<br />> FIELD ORDER: NON PROGRESSIVE<br />> PIXEL ASPECT RATIO: 16:9 (1.422)<br />> PROFILE: MAIN<br />> LEVEL: MAIN<br />> BITRATE ENCODING: CBR 8Mbps<br />> GOP SETTINGS: M FRAMES 3 - N FRAMES 12<br />><br />> Thanks for all the thoughts...<br />><br />> Regards
                • 5. Re: Can I export as .dv?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Sambo, from the posting guidelines...

Don't quote previous messages. Only quote when absolutely necessary. Readers can easily view previous messages in their newsreader when needed. If your newsreader has a setting to toggle quoting on and off, set it to off.