7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2009 10:54 AM by lymphor

Dynamic link not working anymore, why?

lymphor
      Hello,
      I have a Premiere project (HDV 720p 25fps) and used dynamic link to open it in After Effects.
      The project opened normally (screencap here: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3667/jan20172401fx8.jpg ) but when I tried to drag and drop the composition in the timeline (screencap here: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9241/jan20172402ev9.jpg ) nothing happened! (screencap here: http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9093/jan20172403oq5.jpg )
      Can anybody please help me?
      Thank you,
      Alessandro
        • 1. Re: Dynamic link not working anymore, why?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          The comp is already open - you're trying to drop the comp into itself which of course doesn't work.

I think your workflow is currently backwards. Try this:

Import your Pr project into a new AE project, create one or more AE comps as needed, then dynamically link the AE comps into your Pr project. Be advised that titles and most transitions won't import into AE.

Dynamically linking to a Pr project in AE is, I think, a feature new to CS4.
          • 2. Re: Dynamic link not working anymore, why?
            lymphor Level 1
            Thank you Jeff, you always help me :)

I tried as you suggest but it takes a lot of time to open the Pr project in AE, and it loses audio.
            I tried another way: I rendered the Pr project and opened it in AE.
            It's faster, it just takes some hard drive space.
            When I rendered I used Quick Time Animation (Millions+ of colors), what do you think?
            Is there a better option in terms of quality?

Still I am puzzled about why the Dynamic Link doesn't work anymore from Premiere to AE...
            • 3. Re: Dynamic link not working anymore, why?
              You're welcome.
              >and it loses audio

Are you sure? You have to either RAM preview, Ctrl+Scrub, or press the period key on the number pad to hear audio in AE.
              >Still I am puzzled about why the Dynamic Link doesn't work anymore from Premiere to AE

It does, but only for a new (empty) composition in AE, AFAIK. CS4 lets you set up a dynamic link to a Pr project from AE, something I don't think can be done in CS3.
              >When I rendered I used Quick Time Animation (Millions+ of colors), what do you think?

Before CS4, I used QT Animation a lot.
              • 4. Re: Dynamic link not working anymore, why?
                lymphor Level 1
                > > and it loses audio
                >
                > Are you sure? You have to either RAM preview, Ctrl+Scrub, or press the period key on the number pad to hear audio in AE.

Maybe I did something wrong, but I already deleted the project.
                Thank you anyway for the explanation :)

> > Still I am puzzled about why the Dynamic Link doesn't work anymore from Premiere to AE
                >
                > It does, but only for a new (empty) composition in AE, AFAIK.

From Premiere I selected File/Adobe Dynamic Link/ New After Effects Composition.
                It worked in the past, it doesn't work anymore right now.
                In another topic mr. Millaard suggested me to reinstall my system because is somewhat corrupt; probably that is the cause for this problem also.

> CS4 lets you set up a dynamic link to a Pr project from AE, something I don't think can be done in CS3.

No, CS3 can't to that.

> Before CS4, I used QT Animation a lot.

Sadly I can't switch to CS4: I tried but my actual HDV 720p 25fps project loses audio.
                I searched the forum and found out this is a bug of CS4.
                Thank you Jeff, I'll let you know how things change after I'll reinstall my system ;)
                • 5. Re: Dynamic link not working anymore, why?
                  lymphor Level 1
                  I reinstalled the system but nothing changed.
                  Jeff, probably you're right.
                  But... I have dynamic link option only in Premiere, and I can use it only to:
                  1. export to new AE Composition
                  2. import existing AE Composition

In AE I have no Dynamic link option.
                  How am I supposed to apply masks, effects and color corrections to a Premiere edit in AE using Dynamic link?
                  Isn't this the way Dynamic link should work?
                  • 6. Re: Dynamic link not working anymore, why?
                    Using Dynamic Link in After Effects is a new feature in CS4.

You can make corrections to Premiere footage in AE by copy/pasting from Pr to AE, making the corrections in an AE comp, then importing that comp into Pr using DL.

It works great for cuts-only sequences, but titles, transitions and effects have some significant limitations. Read the AE help files and plan your workflow accordingly.
                    • 7. Re: Dynamic link not working anymore, why?
                      lymphor Level 1
                      Hello,
                      sorry for the late reply, I'll do as you suggested, thanks!