5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 9:02 AM by (Nicholas_Scalia)

Exporting uncompressed Quicktime files

I have been asked to create an uncompressed Quicktime HDV file of a short film that I edited in Premiere Pro CS3... Having done some research, it appears that this is not as easy as it at first sounded. I know you can export an uncompressed .AVI file, but I can't seem to find a way to export an uncompressed Quicktime. Is there a codec/plugin avilable that would allow me to do this, or can I export the .AVI and convert it to an uncompressed Quicktime file somehow?

Any help is very, very greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Exporting uncompressed Quicktime files
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Use the animation codec to get an uncompressed QuickTime file.

HDV is a standard which uses compression, but I suspect you meant "high-definition".

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Exporting uncompressed Quicktime files
            Level 1
            OK, that does seem to do the trick... BUT, now I am facing another problem:

When I export, certain shots in my project - the ones that have a scale of greater than 100%, which I scaled in on in order to crop out unwated things along the edges of the frame - appear larger than the others (the shots with 100% scale). Is there a way to crop on export so this doesn't happen? Or does it have something to do with the pixel aspect ratio?
            • 3. Re: Exporting uncompressed Quicktime files
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Export cannot crop selectively, it's all or nothing.

You need to make your edits such that the program monitor shows you what you want to see. If you don't see what you want in the program monitor then it will not magically change when you export.

If you don't want the footage to be "bigger" then don't scale it up. If you want to hide something use other editing techniques like masking or picture-in-picture.

You will find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: Exporting uncompressed Quicktime files
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Try checking the Crop checkbox in AME when exporting, but without moving the edges. See what happens.
                • 5. Re: Exporting uncompressed Quicktime files
                  Level 1
                  That's the thing -- the program monitor is displaying the project exactly how it should be, with the edges cropped off perfectly. It's only when I export do some shots look bigger than others. I suppose I could mask off the edges with a letterbox effect, but I really shouldn't have to do that. Does that mean the option to scale clips is basically useless in Premiere? Because I have never run into this problem working with FCP (which, in most other ways, I think is far inferior).

I'll give the "crop" option a shot, although I thought that was only available under certain export settings.

Thanks for all the help. I apologize for being so frustrated, but this is a fairly important project and I'd really like to have it ready to go.