12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2009 4:25 PM by Eddie Lotter

5.1 audio and nested sequences

(Alwyn_Jones) Level 1
      Evening all. I use Premiere Pro CS3 under Windows XP Pro. I've created three sequences, each with one video track. The output 5.1 surround audio track is mixed from four mono .wav files. So each sequence has one video track, four mono audio tracks and a 5.1 master track. So far so good.

I now want to nest those sequences in a new sequence. I created a sequence with three video tracks, three 5.1 audio tracks, and a master 5.1 audio track. But when I nest the primary sequences, nothing goes in my 5.1 tracks, but 18 new mono tracks are created.

How do I get my audio into the three 5.1 audio tracks?

Follow up question: Will I then be able to use the multi-camera monitor with "audio follows video"?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
          (Alwyn_Jones) Level 1
          I've had no replies to my post, but I'm posting a rider anyway.

The fact that my nested 5.1 track is showing up as 6 mono tracks has another consequence: The User Guide (p320) says, re audio mixing, that if both input and output tracks are 5.1, panning and balancing are not available. Because my input is 6 x mono, panning is not only available, but, as far as I can see, compulsory. So my LFE (Track 6) also gets distributed among the other five tracks too. Help!?
          • 2. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
            Eddie Lotter Level 4
            >But when I nest the primary sequences, nothing goes in my 5.1 tracks, but 18 new mono tracks are created.

I tested that this evening and my experience is different.

I created "sequence 1" with four mono tracks and a 5.1 master and placed four mono clips in the sequence.
            I then created "sequence 2" with one 5.1 track and a 5.1 master. I dragged "sequence 1" into "sequence 2" and did not mysteriously get four new mono tracks. As expected the "sequence 1" master track comes in as a 5.1 clip.

Please post screen captures of your various sequences.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
            - Over 300 frequently answered questions
            - Over 250 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
              (Alwyn_Jones) Level 1
              Thanks, Eddie. I'll post the screen shots as soon as I work out how to do that :-)
              • 4. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

You need to upload them to any one of the many free image hosting Web sites (like ImageShack?) then post links to them here. ;)

Cheers
                Eddie

Forum FAQ
                • 5. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                  (Alwyn_Jones) Level 1
                  Eddie: I've posted the screen shots at
                  i http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=avhfjavhfj&target=ALBUM&id=529896818772010508 9&authkey=6yaA24ln9EA&feat=email

I think the captions are self-explanatory. I appreciate your help. By the way, the video tracks in all three Primaries are the same.
                  • 6. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please post screen shots of your project panel and the Clip > Audio Options > Source Channel Mappings dialog box.

Cheers
                    Eddie

Forum FAQ
                    • 7. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                      (Alwyn_Jones) Level 1
                      Eddie:

I've added the shots requested. Same link. I'd already discarded the sequences for a couple of the screen shots provided earlier. I hope that is not a problem.

As to the mappings, I've posted the screen for
                      i Clip > Audio > Source Channel Mappings
                      for the clip in the first audio track of Primary 2. I got it by selecting the clip in the Project panel. If I select the clip in the Time Line or the Source Panel,
                      i Clip > Audio > Source Channel Mappings
                      is greyed out.

I've also posted the screen for
                      i Edit > Preferences > Audio Output Mapping.

I'm really grateful.

a
                      • 8. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

Hmm, I just cannot reproduce this problem.

Start a new test project and follow the simple steps I outlined in reply #2 and see what happens.

Cheers
                        Eddie

Forum FAQ
                        • 9. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                          (Alwyn_Jones) Level 1
                          Edddie: Are the mono files you are using .wav files? I'm beginning to wonder whether there is something funny about my particular .wav files.

The audio files were created in a live concert using Ableton Live. I then edited them in Steinberg WaveLab 4 (which is not the latest version and does not support 5.1), two files at a time, interpreted by WaveLab as a stereo pair during edited. I then saved each of the Wavelab stereo tracks as a separate file. Those are the files I am importing into Premiere.

Perhaps Ableton or WaveLab has left something encoded in the metadata (channel ID or something) which shouldn't be there and which is preventing normal behaviour in Premiere?

Do you know where I can find the fields and their meanings for .wav metadata? I found a Microsoft article at
                          i http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/audio/multichaud.mspx#top
                          but it's pretty much gobledegook to me.

Meanwhile, I'll follow your suggestion of starting again from scratch but will try and find audio files that are unquestionably mono.

All this stuff is so obsessive/seductive, isn't it? What I really should be doing is finding a work-around and getting on with the project :-)
                          • 10. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                            Eddie Lotter Level 4

I grabbed the first mono file I could find to use as a test. It is indeed a standard Microsoft WAV file.

Rather than restarting the entire project, look for a small mono file on your computer and do the test I mentioned.

It is a good idea to try to figure out the cause of the problem so that if you ever run into it again you will know how to sort it out. ;)

Cheers
                            Eddie

Forum FAQ
                            • 11. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                              (Alwyn_Jones) Level 1
                              Eddie: I thought I'd let you know the resolution. I've spent a couple of hours on the phone with Adobe, at the end of which the tech had me reset the Premiere preferences (see
                              i http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402174
                              , Section 6) after which everything worked perfectly! I don't know if that's a :-) or a :-( . But I wish I'd known about the possible corruption of Premiere preferences 20 or so man-hours ago!

Thanks very much, Eddie, for all your help. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

A
                              • 12. Re: 5.1 audio and nested sequences
                                Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                >Thanks very much, Eddie, for all your help.

You're very welcome.

Thank you for posting back and not leaving this thread hanging. :)

Happy editing. Happy editor

Cheers
                                Eddie

Forum FAQ