11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2009 8:12 PM by Stan Jones

Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos

kentbryanporter
      I am producing software demo screencasts. I have seen excellent examples of this type of content at 800x600 and less than 200 kbps with audio, and I want to do something similar.

I import 1024x768 wmv (from WME) to a project with settings:
      Desktop
      1024x768

In the source monitor, the stopped video has good image quality. When played, it appears pixelated/distorted (at 100%). When exported at 1024x768 it is also distorted, even at ~500 kbps. Unreadable.

There are so many dials to turn in the capture, import and export settings I am at a loss as to where to focus first.

Looking for some guidance on the capture, editing, and exporting of web-delivered software demos with audio.
        • 1. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          At least I'm glad you use 23.976 for the "film look", which is such a hype.
          • 2. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
            Level 1
            I can't really think of much in the way of settings you can play with in
            capture or import that will have much if any affect on your media. Your
            bringing WMV files, which is already a compressed delivery format onto
            your Premiere timeline. You say they appear acceptable in your source
            window, so it has to be during the export process your getting the problem.

I don't normally use WMV files in my projects, but I do know that it is
            not unusual to not get the quality you want when rendering a new file as
            you get some or in your case alot, of generational loss.

Harms comment about the 23.976, in his perfect imitation of House, is
            valid though. Still, take a short part of the project, and experiment
            with different settings. 15, 24 fps, smaller aspect ratios, and compare
            them. Its really the only way to get any understanding of the export
            process. Its more an art than a science.
            • 3. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I'm glad you use 23.976 for the "film look", which is such a hype.

You haven't seen my work.
              • 4. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                kentbryanporter Level 1
                Harms comment is lost on me. Would another timebase be better for a project importing WMVs?

The WMV appear acceptable only when stopped. When played in preview they are illegible.

The experimenting continues...
                • 5. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  It was a rather sarcastic remark. Quite a lot of people think that by using 24fps you get a filmic look. It appears to be a hype these days. What strikes me is your effort to make software demo's with a filmic look. Would there be not a new way to simply reduce the refresh rate of the monitor to 24 Hz? Or does that not create the effect of 48i for film? The projectors used in film are 48 Hz by the mere fact of using a shutter.
                  • 6. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                    kentbryanporter Level 1
                    Harm - The 24fps setting was not calculated; I simply do not know what I am doing. I am stuck with WMV source material which needs to be edited and have sound added from an mpeg source file. I am not even sure that Pr is the correct tool. It's what I have, and I am trying to discover some constellation of settings, in the project and in the export function, to minimize distortion and file size. So far everything I've tried results in unreadable text in the exported video. If I'm not successful by the next full moon, I'm slaughtering a goat and draping its entrails over my keyboard.
                    • 7. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >It appears to be a hype these days.

With good reason (at least for video projects). I've gotten so used to the superior film look of my dv2Film converted media that when I actually do edit a 'video' project, it really looks like crap by comparison. Very cheesy.
                      • 8. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                        Kent, I tested screen capture to flash flv delivery recently. I found that I got better results keeping the output size the same as the capture. Capture codec was also an issue. I just think there are some limits on good quality text on output.

Do you have control over the screen capture? What is the capture size/format/codec?

If you don't have control (and you imply that you don't), what is the wmv datarate/codec?
                        • 9. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                          Level 1
                          I am not sure exactly how you are creating your screen casts but I have used Camtasia to produce short software demos. Granted it is another program to buy and learn but we had pretty good results with it. You won't have to compress it until you have captured, edited and added narration. You can also add circles and arrows and text. It contains a number of different export options.

Could the problem you are having now be a interlace problem? Since it is better when still you might be missing half of your fields or such.
                          • 10. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                            kentbryanporter Level 1
                            Stanley:
                            Going forward, I will have control over capture format, so I am interested in a best practice there. For now, the screen capture format is WMV, and is 1024x768, 260kbps. It was created by Windows Media Encoder. WME was running in screen capture mode on the presentation PC used by the SME in a train-the-trainer session. I don't have the luxury of re-encoding the presentation. The codec AFAIK is WMEncoder. The quality of the text is really very good on input. I am setting the output size same as input, 1024x768. Text on output is unreadable.

robert:
                            I'll keep Camtasia in mind. The interlace idea is worth checking out.

Thanks guys.
                            • 11. Re: Help editing 1024x768 screen capture demos
                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              Your datarate appears to be what wme calls high quality, and it does look pretty good - played back in wmp. But I can't imagine something with that datarate doing well in a conversion/export.