17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2009 12:30 PM by Webshark2000

No Audio with Dynamic Link

Webshark2000 Level 1
      I've got a clip from After Effects CS3 that is dynamically linked to my Premiere Pro project. The clip has audio in After Effects and it's turned on, but the audio shows up blank in Premiere Pro. Just wondering if there is something special I need to do to get the clip's audio to work in Premiere Pro.

Thanks
        • 2. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
          Level 1
          You could try Prerendering the Comp and creating a new dynamic link to
          that new comp and see if it makes a difference. Assuming your audio
          plays properly in your AE Comp, a dynamic link in a Premiere project
          should be the same.
          • 3. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
            Level 1
            Additionally, what is the audio file in AE? Does that file conform to
            your project settings in Premiere? Or have you dropped an MP3 file on a
            into the layer window in AE?
            • 4. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              As a work around, you could always just overwrite the DL Comp's audio in the sequence with the original audio file.
              • 5. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                Webshark2000 Level 1
                >As a work around, you could always just overwrite the DL Comp's audio in the sequence with the original audio file.

I thought about that, but I was hoping to find an answer to the issue so I didn't have to do that every time.

>Additionally, what is the audio file in AE? Does that file conform to
                your project settings in Premiere? Or have you dropped an MP3 file on a
                into the layer window in AE?

It's just an SD DV video clip of an interview that was captured into Premiere Pro from a miniDV tape and I took it into AE to cover up something in the background. The audio plays fine in the original clip. The audio works fine in AE when I do a RAM Preview or use the num pad "." to play it back.

Harm, what additional information did you want? I thought I explained my issue pretty well, but let me know what else I should have included so that I can make sure and include it next time.
                • 6. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Even if you do find the issue, as a work flow issue, you might consider just using the video portion in AE, sans audio, and keep the audio stuff inside Premiere. No point in using Audio in an AE comp if it isn't actually needed there.
                  • 7. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                    Webshark2000 Level 1
                    >you might consider just using the video portion in AE, sans audio, and keep the audio stuff inside Premiere.

The only problem with that is that I want to be able to cut the clip up in Premiere. How can I link the audio to the DL video so that I can put the whole thing in the source monitor, set in and out points, make subclips, etc?

I know I can link them once they're on the timeline, but that really slows down the editing process since the interview is around 10 min long and I'm going to be doing a lot of editing to it.
                    • 8. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                      Level 1
                      You might have better luck is you take this to the AE forum. They have
                      dealt with several DL problems.

I see why you took the SD file you captured in Premiere to AE, because
                      in CS3 the DL only goes from AE to Premiere. It did not go both ways
                      till CS4.

Was the sound work the only reason you took it to AE? In that case, why
                      not just do the sound work, export a QT in the Animation setting and
                      snip to your hearts desire in Premiere. From what I've experienced, the
                      DL in CS3 only works in a AE to Premiere flow. You make a chance to a
                      file in AE and it flows through to Premiere. Any changes you make in
                      Premiere, are not seen by AE.

And, one last question. Do you have Soundboard by chance? You can do the
                      audio cleanup in there and have those changes flow right into Premiere.
                      Its a basic app, but does a decent job.
                      • 9. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                        Webshark2000 Level 1
                        >Was the sound work the only reason you took it to AE?

No, I took it into AE to cover something up in the background. I didn't want to affect the audio at all.

> Do you have Soundboard by chance? You can do the
                        audio cleanup in there and have those changes flow right into Premiere.
                        Its a basic app, but does a decent job.

I'm not worried about cleaning up the audio, at least not at this point. I just want the clip from the Dynamic Link to have the original audio with it.

If there is a way to pair up the Dynamic Link video with the audio from the original clip in Premiere, let me know (other than doing it on the timeline, of course). The length of the original clip and the Dynamic Link are exactly the same.
                        • 10. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                          Level 1
                          Well, then why not just render out a lossless file from AE and use that
                          in Premiere?
                          • 11. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Or, just link the Comp and Audio in the sequence and cut it there.
                            • 12. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                              Webshark2000 Level 1
                              > Well, then why not just render out a lossless file from AE and use that in Premiere?

I know I can do that, but as I stated before I was hoping to find a solution so I could actually use dynamic link the way it's supposed to be used and not have to go through this long (and space-consuming) process every time.

> Or, just link the Comp and Audio in the sequence and cut it there.

I was hoping to find a solution to why it wasn't working so I didn't have to pull down a 10 min clip and cut it up on the timeline. But I guess if these are my only options I'll have to pick one.
                              • 13. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                Yeah, I just don't know why it's not working. I've never tried a DL with audio myself.
                                • 14. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                                  Webshark2000 Level 1
                                  Yeah, my first time doing one with audio also. Is there a good compression I could use out of AE for the clip so it's not huge and still keep good quality in PPro while not having to render it in PPro? The PPro project is a Matrox NTSC SD project and the compression on the original captured clip says DigiVCap in Windows Explorer or DV Video Decoder in Windows Media Player.
                                  • 15. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    DV export from AE should work fine.
                                    • 16. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                                      Dag Norum Level 2
                                      Shaun,
                                      >Matrox NTSC SD project

There is maybe your reason for audio not going so well with DL.

Whenever I have used DL (in CS3), if audio has been present in the clip in AE, the audio has always showed up in Premiere.

Try a non Matrox project and see if that works.

Dag

EDIT: Take a look in the thread called "No Audio Waveform", seems that maybe Matrox has some settings for audio stuff.
                                      • 17. Re: No Audio with Dynamic Link
                                        Webshark2000 Level 1
                                        Thanks, I'll check that out.