3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2009 3:22 PM by Jim_Simon

What  areaudio extracted files?

Level 1
      Does any know what audio extracted files are? I found a bunch in my project bin; that under properties I discovered were located in my Captured Files folder (where I directed captured video and audio to go). I deleted them thinking that they were extraneous and taking up too much space, but I later ran into problems rendering as mpegs, so (though Im not sure it is related) I restored them.

Could they come when I render and replace audio clips? I tried to render and replace several times when the audio dropped out periodically on some clips.
        • 1. Re: What  areaudio extracted files?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >Could they come when I render and replace audio clips?

That's exactly when they are created.
          • 2. Re: What  areaudio extracted files?
            Level 1
            So I suppose the question should be: what exactly does render and replace do? Why use it?

I tried render and replace out when weird little inexplicable drop-outs in sound appeared in my audio. It seemed to work. (...Then the question might be: why would drop outs in the audio clips appear seemingly out of nowhere?)

At any rate, once I restored the extracted files, the mpeg media encoder rendered without a problem. I guess Ill keep them (but they are adding many extra megabytes to my hard drive.)
            • 3. Re: What  areaudio extracted files?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >what exactly does render and replace do?

It creates new audio files (render), and replaces the ones on the timeline with the new ones.

>Why use it?

Don't know, never have. (At least not manually. The same process occurs automatically when you do an Edit in Audition or Edit in Soundbooth.)

>they are adding many extra megabytes

Well, an editor should really have hard drives with triple digit GIGAbytes of space, so a few Megabytes won't mean much.