16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2009 6:36 PM by stenapp

Adobe is running on a very low system memmory

SOS. SOS
      Panic is very close. I am editing a film editing program, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3. The last time I get this message.

"Adobe premiere running low on system memory. Save the project and proceed with great caution."

every time I get this message, do I save the project very often, almost every minute. despite the closing of the program and when I go to the program, I see that my recent work is not saved.

It is a good computer I work with:

Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.40 HZ
      3.41 GHz, 3.00 GB Ram (last night I increased the memory from 1G to 3G)

Can someone help me get over this problem.

grateful / mougglan
        • 1. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Yet another unanswerable question without relevant details.
          Look here and supply details as outlined at the bottom.

And please refrain from double posting. ---...---
          • 2. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
            stenapp Level 1
            Maybe you could cool it a little on the self righteous answers, Harm, they're not helpful. You're just putting the guy down because he doesn't know as much about it as you. As for starting a new thread, hey, he's just doing what the wiki said.

I recognize the truth and the value in the "Troubleshooting" article in the wiki. But the "Finally" portion of the wiki asks for way more information than most users are ever going to give routinely. I think its a cop out to refuse help until they cross every "T." None of us wants to waste your time, but we don't want to waste ours either. A more helpful and humane approach is to guide us into getting the kind of information that will start down the path to a solution.

Sorry if this comes off sounding like a rant, I really don't mean for it too. But I have seen this question several times on this forum, and not a single reply that even attempts to address it.

I want to edit, not fiddle with software. My hunch is that the savvy techs here are the same way, and I'm grateful to you for the help you give, whenever you give it. So I have a suggestion. Perhaps someone(s) who understands these things could write a FAQ on the various error messages that come up in Premiere and a short description of what kinds of issues (note the plurals) cause them most often, and maybe suggest a workaround until the problem is solved. At least a tool like that would point us in the direction of a start and target the kind of user data we need to get for a real solution.
            • 3. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
              Level 1
              Thats exactly what I am. A unexperieced person who got truble with Primere SC3. I have not solv the problem yet, and even worths I cant oppen the project now.

I hope somebody can help med in a very easy way, if there is such. my english is poor too, as you see.

Please help me to solve my problem.
              mo
              • 4. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                stenapp Level 1
                I am no techie, and I doubt that I can help you diagnose how your problem came about. But I may be able to give you some tips to try. However, I can't tell what you have that works and what does not.

Can you get PPCS3 to open up ANY project without the error message?

If you can, then look in the folder of autosaves, using the "details" view option in Windows Explorer, and pick one that was autosaved sometime before you got the error message.

See if you can open that without error. If so, then you will have salvaged at least that much of your work. The first thing to do with this is save the project under a new name. Keep the clean version as an unchanged backup and only edit under the new name.

Next, see whether or not you can import any of the exported clips you exported under the version you cannot now access. If they run in Media Player, they probably are okay and these may have preserved edits you were making. Handle them with caution though.

Finally, as you edit it will help to get into the pattern of occasionally changing the name of the project in a small way just in case it becomes corrupted. The autosaves are supposed to do that, but if you have just spent a lot of time doing something, don't leave that to chance timing. And for really complicated edits, export completed sections in small bits as you go. You can use these to simplify the timeline for your final edit.
                • 5. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4
                  >Perhaps someone(s) who understands these things could write a FAQ on the various error messages

The wiki already has a FAQ and an Errors section. If you find them deficient then, like any wiki, you can add to them. :)

Cheers
                  Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                  - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                  - Over 250 free tutorials
                  - Maintained by editors like you
                  Forum FAQ
                  • 6. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    If memory serves, this is a false error message related in some way to titles. It can be safely ignored in most cases.
                    • 7. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Scrubbing through the timeline can also cause this behavior on certain systems. It depends on source material, project settings, system configuration and a number of other items. In a number of cases it pays to look at the links at the top of the forum, either to find information like the FAQ or Wiki, or to look at what is required for a more in-depth analysis of the problem, like the How to post... link
                      • 8. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                        stenapp Level 1
                        >The wiki already has a FAQ and an Errors section.

Nice collections, Eddie. Thanks.

And where in that mass of info do you find this error message:

"Adobe premiere running low on system memory. Save the project and proceed with great caution."

or this one:
                        "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Pro to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."

That's the way the messages come at us, not the way they are in your references. Those references seem to mainly cover versions 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0.

We non-tech users need to be able to recognize the messages as they appear in the current versions, CS3 and CS4.

And if Jim is right, then what's the point of the message in the first place? Is it a holdover from an earlier version? Where in your lists and wikis would a non-tech user find that out?
                        • 9. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          If I'm right, it's just a coding error - a bug.
                          • 10. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                            Eddie Lotter Level 4
                            >Where in your lists and wikis would a non-tech user find that out?

The wiki is a collection of information provided by users like yourself on forums like this one.

If you cannot find a specific piece of information in the wiki then it hasn't been reported in the forum and/or added to the wiki by some user.

Cheers
                            Eddie

Forum FAQ
                            • 11. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                              stenapp Level 1
                              >If you cannot find a specific piece of information in the wiki then it hasn't been reported in the forum and/or added to the wiki by some user.

If that is so, then it does no good to direct a user to the wiki for such problems. That has been done in this case, and it is not an appropriate response.

Pointing to the wiki is not a substitute for helping a user who needs it. If you guys really have superior knowledge, then you should lead. Some of you do, and you deserve strokes for that. My hat is off to those of you who are honestly willing to share.

Nuff said.
                              • 12. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                                (C._David_Young) Level 1
                                If you are using a 32 bit OS it would probably help to move to Vista 64. That helped me with Premiere memory problems a lot.

Also, you can break the project up into smaller parts by creating new projects, importing the old project as an asset into each one, and then deleting different sections from each of the new projects. That will reduce the complexity of each to the point where Premiere can work with it. If it is a bug you are up against then it should isolate the bug in one part or the other. If necessary, you can continue breaking the project apart until you figure out what is causing the problem and then change it in some way to work around the bug.

As far as combining the parts together again, you can either encode each part separately and then combine them on a timeline in Encore, or you can render out to an avi and combine them in Premiere before encoding.
                                • 13. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

If you had followed Harm's advice originally you would have solved or at least understood the terms of your problem by now, instead you have belittled people's attempts to assist you and left a fowl smell in the atmosphere. Not too bright.

The wiki does shed some light on some of your issues, but it isn't a magic bullet. If you think "life sucks" then I can't help you.

You keep insisting you're a non-technical person, so why are you trying to do anything technical? Editing on a computer is unavoidably technical. Either get a technical person to help you in person or get a new vocation/avocation. Your rants here are not currying any favour.

I leave you to your better self.

Cheers
                                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                  • 14. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                                    digital-witness
                                    i've had the same problem only a few times. i saved my project.. rendered everything out, and never saw the message again.. could it possibly be that simple?? i dunno.. i thought it was a wierd message to show-up since i have 4gb of ram, and massive room on my HD.. but yea.. try rendering the timeline, and see if that helps.. good luck!!
                                    • 15. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                                      Fighting Sticks Level 2
                                      Hey Presto magic - optimise your system
                                      http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb402172&sliceId=1
                                      • 16. Re: Adobe is running on a very low system memmory
                                        stenapp Level 1
                                        >You keep insisting you're a non-technical person, so why are you trying to do anything technical? Editing on a computer is unavoidably technical. Either get a technical person to help you in person or get a new vocation/avocation.

Eddie, this is getting off topic so this is my last post on this. Sorry it has to be in public. I'm sure you're a nice guy and maybe a technical wiz, but a little less condescension wouldn't hurt. Your last sentence was completely out of line, and IMO not appropriate to this forum. In view of the sentiment you expressed here, you and I obviously disagree on who has a right to use this forum for assistance and how they deserve to be treated. I oppose the condescending attitude of the techie content police when I see it. OTOH, respect begets respect. Beyond that there is nothing to be gained by further exchanges along this line, and I won't continue it.