1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 8:52 PM by Jim_Simon

Interlacing methodology:  analog capture, export AVI, DVD authoring?

My question concerns when to interlace and/or deinterlace a video?
      The original medium is VHS tape.
      The final products will be VHS tape (interlaced) and DVD (progressive).

1. I do an analog capture of a VHS Tape with a Matrox capture card. I assume the new AVI file is interlaced because the tape was interlaced. But maybe I am incorrect.

2A. For the final VHS product, when I export the video to an AVI file, do I need to turn interlacing on or do I need to use the progressive scan option? (If I use the interlacing option, am I doing a double interlace of the video? If I use the progressive scan option, am I preserving the already interlaced video?)

2B. For the final DVD product, when I export the video to an AVI file, do I need to A) use the interlacing option, use the progressive scan option, or C) deinterlace at this point?

3A. For the final VHS product, I merely play the newly exported AVI, and the interlaced video in analog form is outputted from the Matrox capture card and recorded by the VCR. Is that it?

3B. For the final DVD product, I use TMPGEnc (Tsunami MPEG Encoder) to create MPGs prior to authoring the DVD. Do I need to use interlacing or progressive scan options here? See step 2B for previous options performed.

Thank you for your expertise,
      John