8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 2:53 PM by Jim_Simon

CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"

bojesen Level 1
      As I have so many "friends" here in the CS3 forum, some of you have probably also tried CS4, I prefer to ask the question in this forum.

Harm, I love your oneliners but if you could come up with a solution, it would appreciated.

1) I have been using CS3 for about half a year but have now downloded the trial version of CS4. When trying to open CS3 projects in CS4, files are shown as offline.

2) I work on a Mac - why is it, that when I go to "info" and select all files to open in CS3, they will still open in CS4?

3) I have recently had many problems with my macpro and comparing with friend who has a PC I was appalled that it took me 30% longer to export the very same project as it did my PC friend, who does not have the very latest specs. If I were to change to PC would anyone care to give me specifications that would give me a computer that would deal with my HD projects that include upto two-hour sequences to be exported to DVD. The source material is from a Sony Z7 (m2t) and Sony EX3 (mp4),often through multicamera, which I appreciate is not an ideal combination.

Modelnavn: Mac Pro
      Model-id: MacPro1,1
      Processornavn: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
      Processorhastighed: 2.66 GHz
      Antal processorer: 2
      Antal kerner i alt: 4
      L2-buffer (pr. processor): 4 MB
      Hukommelse: 7 GB
      Bushastighed: 1.33 GHz
      Boot ROM-version: MP11.005C.B08
      SMC Version: 1.7f10

PP version 3.2.0 (374)
        • 1. Re: CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          1. The trial version does not support any MPEG formats, including material from the Z7 and EX.

2. Can't answer that since I don't use a MAC.

3. If moving to a PC, I can recommend several possibilities, but first tell me what budget you have in mind.
          • 2. Re: CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"
            bojesen Level 1
            Thank you, Harm

1) To avoid timewasting, would be nice if Adobe stated that.

3) I need a system to enable me to efficiently do a two and a half hour weekly programme, often using multicamera, to be broadcast on local cable network (plus other bits and pieces, see http://www.tv-moen.dk). The efficiency is more important than money - to cut rendering and export times is my goal - and to eliminate common PP breakdowns, and prevent my own.
            • 3. Re: CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              1) They actually do. I found it right on the page where you get the trial.

>"This software trial is a fully functional version of Adobe® Creative Suite® 4 Production Premium edition in a DVD set. Every feature and aspect of the product is available for you to test-drive.*"

That little asterisk at the end needs to be followed.

>"*Adobe Encore CS4 is not available as a trial. It will be installed as part of the trial DVD set for Creative Suite 4 Production Premium and Master Collection but will not be available for use until you purchase. The trial versions of Adobe After Effects CS4, Flash CS4 Professional, Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, and Soundbooth CS4 do not include some features that depend on software licensed from parties other than Adobe. For example, some codecs for encoding MPEG formats are available only with the full version of these products. HDV, XDCAM, and AVCHD formats and sequence presets are not supported in the trial for both Mac OS and Windows®. Adobe Media Encoder export does not include MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-2 DVD, or MPEG-2 Blu-ray as export formats in the trial. The file importer does not recognize file types that are not included in trial mode (such as MPEG and XDCAM files). HDV is not included as a capture format in the Mac OS version of the trial.
              • 4. Re: CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"
                bojesen Level 1
                Jim

On the page that I downloaded from, there is no mention. In any case when a grand claim like "Every feature and aspect of the product is available for you to test-drive" is made, the small * should be replaced by: SEE BELOW FOR CERTAIN LIMITATIONS, to prevent timewasting. The trial version might be free but, for me, it's also useless - now it even disrupts my work flow.
                • 5. Re: CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Sigurd,

A reasonably priced Windows system could consist of the following:

a. Lian Li PC-A77B case
                  b. CoolerMaster Real Power M1000 or Tagan TG1100-BZ Piperock power supply
                  c. ASUS P6T WS Professional mobo
                  d. Intel i920/i940/i965 CPU
                  e. Noctua NH-U12P Second Edition (push-pull configuration) CPU cooler
                  f. OCZ 6 GB DDR3-1333 Tri-kit Platinum (or 2 for 12 GB)
                  g. ATI 4870 video card, either 512 or 1 GB
                  h. Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo for the video card
                  i. WD Velociraptor 150 GB boot disk
                  j. LG GGW-H20LRB combi BR burners or Samsung SH-S223F DVD burners (2x)
                  k. Areca ARC-1680ix-12 raid controller
                  l. KVR667D2E5/2G ECC cache memory for the Areca
                  m. ARC-6120 Battery Backup Module for the Areca
                  n. Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ or WD Caviar Black 1 TB media disk (8x)
                  • 6. Re: CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"
                    bojesen Level 1
                    Harm

Thank you very much for taking the time to put this detailed specification together for me - it is very much appreciated. The island of Møn is a wonderful place for a holiday - I'll treat you to a great meal and local beer should you want to come.
                    • 7. Re: CS3 projects open in CS4 with "files offline"
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Sigurd,

I hope this helps. It is actually a list of components of a system I'm currently building. It only took 21 hours to create an 8 disk Raid30 array, that in now being formatted under Vista 64 Business.

b Jim, take note, I'm in the process of trying Vista64 and a Raid30!!!!!

When I have plans to come your way, Sigurd, I'll take you up on the offer. However my first plans are to go visit my daughter in Switzerland and spend some time skiing with her. Currently the snow is great.

If you need further advise, let me know.