14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 3:01 PM by Harm Millaard

PP and Vista, initial observations...

Harm Millaard Level 7
        • 1. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Yes, I also think " " about Vista
          • 3. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Apparently, so is Harm.
            • 4. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Sorry, I pressed the post button too early, edited the post, got called away and was over the time limit to post, so with apologies, here are my remarks:

OK guys, I finally went for Vista 64 on a new system and here are my initial thoughts and observations. Maybe after reading this you will tell me, you warned us so often, now you fell into the trap yourself (grin, grin). Anyway, this is what my first experiences are:

New i7 system, running at 3.7 GHz, 6 GB RAM at 6-6-6-18 1T, NB frequency 2800 MHz, 150 GB Velociraptor boot disk, 500 GB Raid0 (2x 250GB) for pagefile/media cache on Marvel Raid controller, 8 TB Raid30 (8x 1TB)on Areca ARC-1680ix-12 for projects and media, ATI 4870 video card and 2 LG BR burners.
              Core temperatures around 41-45 degrees C, depending on load, disks around 30 degrees C.

System runs stable and quiet, despite 11 internal hard disks and 2 burners. Next is expanding memory to 12 GB and adding some more disks.

Installed Vista 64 Business. Turned off UAC.

b Observations:

1. Footprint is enormous: Just the OS takes more space than XP, CS3 Production Studio and all plug-ins combined. Just the Windows directory has over 70K files and 14.8 GB of footprint.
              b Ridiculous.

2. Boot time is slooowww, even on a relatively fast system. The Welcome screen takes forever to disappear in comparison to XP on a much slower system.

3. You have to be an accountant to measure the number of "Not responding" instances you encounter, at least I lost track of the overwhelming number of occurences. I'm told by professionals that this if a feature of Vista and I better get used to it, it will occur daily. (Windows 7 does not have this, obviously Micros**t removed this feature in the new version).

4. Vista 64 is incredibly slooowww when used on a network. It takes ages for connections to mapped drives to appear on screen, much slower than with XP.

5. Drivers for simple external drives like Maxtor OneTouch are still lacking, as well as for other peripherals.

6. Anything positive? Not yet.

Jim, where does your enthousiasm for Vista stem from? I can't see anything positive yet. Maybe I'll try Windows 7.
              • 5. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                (C._David_Young) Level 1
                Well, the title of the thread is PP and Vista. That was in fact the only reason I installed Vista. PP was regularly crashing with XP 32 when it would hit about 2.5 Gb of memory usage. Now it never crashes on me. So, I would view that as a big positive. I really had not noticed the problems you are reporting.
                • 6. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                  The only comment you made, Harm, that mirrors what I see here is the slow networking. Well, maybe the footprint, too, but I haven't checked. Why not? Because I absolutely don't care how much hard drive space the OS takes. My boot drive is a 7500 RPM SATA.

Until I started loading gadgets on my sidebar and adding volume shadow copy and file management software that loads at boot time, the basic OS appeared and was usable at least as fast as the bare-bones XP installation on my other dual-boot partition. Both boot very fast.

My external drives are all internal SATA drives in USB enclosures, so I haven't encountered any driver problems at all.

-Jeff
                  • 7. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    I disabled Sidebar and Aero from the beginning. The driver problems are mainly with Maxtor OneTouch USB/FW-400 drives that are not recognized, that can't find drivers on the original software disks, that can not be downloaded from the Seagate site and that require you to reformat the disks. Quite a hassle to copy the files from another computer to the NAS and from the NAS to this PC.

PP starts quickly enough. I'm still in the process of installing my plug-ins but will let you know how the first experiences are.
                    • 8. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >The Welcome screen takes forever to disappear in comparison to XP on a much slower system.

I actually noticed speedier boot times compared to XP.

>You have to be an accountant to measure the number of "Not responding" instances you encounter

If I get that once a week, it's a lot. It's probably happened maybe a dozen times since I installed Vista last November.

>It takes ages for connections to mapped drives to appear on screen, much slower than with XP.

I also noticed improved network performance with Vista. Network shares come up much quicker and more reliably than they did in XP.

>Jim, where does your enthousiasm for Vista stem from?

The above points. To be sure, it took a few days for things to settle down, with Vista downloading updates regularly. I had several blue screens a day the first few days, then one day they just stopped, and it's been well behaved ever since.

>I disabled Sidebar and Aero from the beginning.

I actually like both, though admittedly on my personal machine. I'd turn them off as well on a production machine. Then again, I'd probably get Vista Home Basic for a production machine, which doesn't even include those features.
                      • 9. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        By the way, loooooove those machine specs.
                        • 10. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                          The case is a Lian Li PC-A77B and can accommodate up to 16 x 3.5" disks and 3 x 5.25" at maximum capacity with standard Lian Li trays. If you want you can even extend that to 18 x 3.5" plus 3 X 5.25" drives. Of course that requires a solid PSU and adequate cooling. A 19" rack solution may be more efficient.

In Program and Features I turned off everything, apart from:

1. GroupPolicy Preferences CSE
                          2. Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 XPS Viewer
                          3. Remote Differential Compression
                          4. Telnet Client
                          5. Windows DFS Replication Service

Do you have any suggestion on what else to turn off or turn on to improve performance? What services/processes to disable/kill?
                          • 11. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            First encoding experience on the new system is hopeful.

Encoding a 47 minute HDV sequence to MPEG2-DVD with quality at 5 and CBR @ 8.2 Mb and 5.1 audio is completed in less than 18 minutes. Not too bad.
                            • 13. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                              bojesen Level 1
                              i less than 18 minutes

Sounds very impressive. What was your best time on previous computer, same settings?
                              • 14. Re: PP and Vista, initial observations...
                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                Far over two hours on a P4 3.4.