4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 3:39 PM by digital-witness

Time & Date Stamping

digital-witness Level 1
      I recently made the move from film/video production to Legal Video. Pa(and most other states) requires date and time stamping to be visible on screen at all times. I am using a JVC gy DV500, and unfortunately it will not stamp it for me(visibly during playback). My analogue record source will, but it's not a quality I can give the client considering my hourly rate. Haven't found any info for Premiere CS3(checked user guide, forums(briefly), and web).

I found a stand alone program posted in Wiki, but I am hesitant to D/L not being 100% on the source. Aside from creating a new title for every second of the Depositions(tedious). I'm sure there has to be a better way.

Please help!!!

All feedback appreciated, but constructive feedback is prefered.

Thanks- Erik
        • 1. Re: Time & Date Stamping
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          Erik,

I *think* that DVDate can extract and imprint the necessary data for you. Might look to it.

Good luck,

Hunt
          • 2. Re: Time & Date Stamping
            digital-witness Level 1
            thank you!!!

i will certainly check that out. I must be careful though not to alter in any way(aside from necessary stamping) the depo, or it could be dismissed.

thanks alot for the suggestion!! much appreciated
            • 3. Re: Time & Date Stamping
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >I am using a JVC gy DV500, and unfortunately it will not stamp it for me(visibly during playback).

Check into the workability of this camera. Many jurisdictions will only allow the use of a camera that irreparably imprints this data during the original recording. If the video can be viewed in any way without it, or if it has to be added later, some jurisdictions will not allow it to be used.
              • 4. Re: Time & Date Stamping
                digital-witness Level 1
                jim-
                thanks for the feedback. i did go through the jvc user manual for info on how to superimpose the info on the screen(as this option is generally one i wouldn't want to use). It will generate the date & time, also Time Code only viewable on the player device's display. Maybe i'm overlooking something(most likely the case).

"If the video can be viewed in any way without it, or if it has to be added later, some jurisdictions will not allow it to be used."

-good point, and PA already has so many restrictions, and protocall. i guess i'm going to have to consult one of my clients on that matter(at the risk of looking unprofessional). If i am going to do the stamping in post i still need a proper way to do it in AP-CS3 aside from creating a separate title for each second(10800 per hr.. tedious).

Thank you for the feedback!!! much appreciated!!