8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2007 11:51 AM by (Dale_Bronk)

Changes from 1.5 to CS3????

Level 1
      I'm a complete noob. I really only do this as a hobby with my son's sporting teams making highlight vids to music, etc. I'm sure doesn't even come close to what you guys do, but I have fun. I probably only use about 1% of what the tool will give me. I've just upgraded from Premiere Pro 1.5 to Production Premium Studio CS3 and I instantly see a few things changed and was hoping you could help me figure out what the CS3 equiv is for each. I'm sure I will not use correct terminology so please forgive me and I hope you can understand what I mean.

1. I of course have multiple vid layers. Let's say my entire timeline goes for 30 mins. I may have a bunch of vid or audio layers that go anywhere from 5 seconds to several minutes. Well, in 1.5 I could select say a 20 second vid layer element and then press the home/end key on the keyboard and the current marker would go to the beginning/ending of the SELECTED element. This was great. Well, in CS3 the home/end keys only bring me to the beginning/ending of my entire sequence timeline. Very frustrating. How can I get my 1.5 functionality back as it makes way more sense for the home/end keys to go to the beginning/ending of what I have selected.

2. In 1.5 when I would make a title it would create a file on my hard drive for the title as well as add it to the project. Say I named my title "party", then you would create a party.prtl file. I could then easily copy that to my other projects where I may want the same title. Well, in CS3 it doesn't seem to create that file so if I want it reuse it in another project then I have to recreate it. How can I make it go back to the 1.5 way and create the file so I can reuse it.

Thanks,
      Dale
        • 1. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
          1. The Home and End keys were changed. For better or worse is a huge topic of conversation, but that is the current situation.

2. Titles are now part of the project file, not separate. If you want it to be separate to take it into a new project, use File > Export > Title.
          • 2. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >How can I get my 1.5 functionality back as it makes way more sense for the home/end keys to go to the beginning/ending of what I have selected.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form
            • 3. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
              Level 1
              So you are saying that Adobe made the huge blunder of removing a feature instead of simply adding a new feature bound to something like shift+home/end. Hmmmm. Working with Flex and seeing it, as well as their Cairngorm framework, not be backwards compatible I can't say that I'm surprised.

Adobe, if you monitor these forums, take it from a developer by trade... General rule of thumb is NEVER remove a feature. If you do, you need to be VERY sure it is not used or you give another way to do the same thing.

Thanks for your quick replies guys! Don't like your answer on the home/end keys, but it is what it is and it's going to slow me down a ton.

Dale
              • 4. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                I knew the mountains near Aviemore, now I know about Flex. Learned something today.
                • 5. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
                  Level 1
                  For those who are interested I found the answer. I found it hard to believe that being able to jump to the beginning/ending of a selection in a timeline would be completely removed. So I know that in FinalCut it is not the home/end key, it is the up/down arrows. Tried that and it didn't work. I then started think of other key combinations that may do it.

Well, page up/down is the answer!!! wooo hooo! Just saved myself a ton of time in editing. Page up goes to the beginning of the selection and page down goes to the end of the selection.

Dale
                  • 6. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                    Actually, that only works with one track. If you have multiple tracks it stops at every cut.

You can set a new keystroke to do the same but only on the selected track using "Go to Next Edit Point in Target Track" and "Go to Previous Edit Point in Target Track"
                    • 7. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      (Steven beat me to it slightly)

Not really. Page Up or Down go to the next edit, not the beginning or end of a selected clip. If you have a long audio clip with several shorter video clips above, it'll stop at each video edit on it's way to the end of the audio clip.

It's not really a solution. Adobe MUST put those shortcuts back, and we must keep on top of them with Bug Reports until they do.
                      • 8. Re: Changes from 1.5 to CS3????
                        Level 1
                        Darn, you are obviously correct. I created a just a sample timeline with only two clips.