2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 7:04 PM by Stan Jones

Link Media still required after using project manager

Professor D
      I'm fairly new to Premiere CS3 and have noticed that whenever I manually move or use the project manager to move a project file from one location to another, when I open the project I always have to re-link the media from within the list view.

I have checked my preferences settings for the project and they point to the correct location where the file is being moved. Using the Project Manager I also select the preview files, audio conform files and mediafiles to match clip names. In addition, all of the media files are in the same folder with the project files.

I believe I have been following the directions that are available on this forum, in a book I bought and the Lynda.com DVD's on CS3.

Does anyone know what I'm missing here.

Thanks...
        • 1. Re: Link Media still required after using project manager
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I just don't ever use the Project Manger, so I can't comment about that. But any move you make manually will cause Premiere to ask where the files are, regardless of preference settings. Which makes sense because the files are not where Premiere was last told to look for them. Scratch disk settings only affect new files.
          • 2. Re: Link Media still required after using project manager
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            > my preferences settings for the project ... point to the correct location

> the files are not where Premiere was last told to look for them

I do use project manager, but Jim is right that this is simply the way PPro works. The PROJECT FILE is an xml file that hard codes the path to the files. Your preferences may point elsewhere, but in most cases you are talking about the media files and that is only a preference when you are capturing.

In a project manager trimmed file, the new project uses the trimmed location, but as soon as you move the project, the path is wrong. But a single answer for the first find and Premiere finds the files. Not so bad, even if you have multiple directories and have to answer that question several times. I cannot test that because my trimmed projects move all files offline.

Jim often makes the point that if you are simply moving a project, you avoid problems by having a good structure to begin with (don't spread your directories/files all over the place), and then simply move it and relink. (Of course, the best course is don't move it at all.)

The best use of project manager, other than going offline for archiving, is to consolidate media. But if you then move the consolidated project to a different location, you will have to relink. Leave it in place, and you won't.