3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 7:16 AM by (raymond_setzer)

Multicore encoding times....

Am rendering a short (15min) project straight to FLV using Adobe Media Encoder... from DV Source (720x576 widescreen PAL)

Have exported it once on a 2.4Ghz Intel Core2Duo iMac, which took 1hr 50mins. I thought I'd then try doing it on our 8x core X-Server... and to my surprise, it took 1hr 50 mins... no improvement.

Is there something that needs changing to take full advantage of my hardware, or is this just something I'm stuck with?

(Using Premiere Pro CS3 ver 3.2.0 on Intel Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 2Gb Ram, OSX 10.5.6 and same again but on 8 core XServer, 8Gb Ram, OSX 10.5.6)
        • 1. Re: Multicore encoding times....
          Level 1
          Full hardware specs...

X-Serve:
          2x 2.8Ghz QuadCore Intel Xeon, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb Raid0 SAS Array, Dual PSU, OSX Server 10.5.6

iMac:
          2.4Ghz C2D, 2Gb Ram, 250Gb HD, SuperDrive.
          • 2. Re: Multicore encoding times....
            Level 1
            The On2 site has never been hugely informative about their products.
            This news blurb may offer some clues.
            http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/525561

It seems to me to suggest that the SD encoding only really uses milti
            core if your encoding more than one file at a time in which case it
            spawns a new process. But for HD content it seems they have a True Core
            technology that breaks the video up and processes the different parts on
            different cores.

It also seems to suggest that this is only avail on the On2 Flix Engine,
            which is different from the On2 Flix Desktop.
            • 3. Re: Multicore encoding times....
              Level 1
              The On2 site has never been hugely informative about their products.
              This news blurb may offer some clues.
              http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/525561

It seems to me to suggest that the SD encoding only really uses milti
              core if your encoding more than one file at a time in which case it
              spawns a new process. But for HD content it seems they have a True Core
              technology that breaks the video up and processes the different parts on
              different cores.

It also seems to suggest that this is only avail on the On2 Flix Engine,
              which is different from the On2 Flix Desktop.