5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 7:56 AM by fredou_79

How do you get PPro to clear memory?

stenapp Level 1
      I used Windows Task Manager in Win XP 32bit to track the memory usage while PPro CS3 was running. The page file usage history indicated that memory was gradually being filled up by operations that apparently were not completely cleared out within PPro when it moves from operation to operation. One of the worst offenders is copying partially edited clips to the clipboard to paste into another sequence. The only way I could flush the buildup was by shutting down PPro. Does anyone know how to manually clear the clipboard while you are still operating within PPro? Has anyone else seen this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?
        • 1. Re: How do you get PPro to clear memory?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          You could always just copy something else to the clipboard, some text from a web site.
          • 2. Re: How do you get PPro to clear memory?
            stenapp Level 1
            Thanks, Jim. I tried that with a very small clipboard item, like a singe word, but the total memory usage under PPro still increments upward.

Does PPro hold on to memory in your system?
            • 3. Re: How do you get PPro to clear memory?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Never bothered to monitor. I have only 1 GB of RAM, and even my big, complex projects only get up to a 1/4 of that total, most projects far less.
              • 4. Re: How do you get PPro to clear memory?
                bill66man Level 1
                I monitored the Memory usage recently and discovered the following--

1. Premiere CS3 with an open project (on my 2.4ghz quadcore/4gig RAM computer) uses about 1 gig of RAM (I DO have other apps/processes running concurrently--I know, not wise, but everything works for the most part).
                2. memory usage increases significantly with editing, scrubbing, copy and Pasting, etc--upwards of 2gigs RAM (2.3 gigs was as high as mine got)
                3. memory 'hovers' between 1.5 - 2.3 gigs--it doesn't keep getting bigger and bigger.
                4. Have since increase the page file usage on XP (since the default is a 2gig limit) to 3 gigs. So far Premiere hasn't crashed; it would crash frequently while exporting files and heavy scrubbing.

Just what I've observed...
                • 5. Re: How do you get PPro to clear memory?
                  fredou_79 Level 1
                  To flush memory I use FREERAM XP PRO it's a free software, very good and usefull to free extra memory, it doesn't after VM Size but it does affects Mem Usage.

I also use O&O Clevercache 6 to monitor and manage memory, which works quite nicely.

Still, 1 GB ram sucks, you should have at least 2 GB even if your projects are small, better 4 GB and the /3GB and /PAE switch enabled in your boot.ini

Also, check these site to maximize you OS:
                  http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html
                  http://www.videoguys.com/WinXP.html#dave