1 2 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2007 7:21 AM by (martin_horak)

Benchmarks

Jim_Simon Level 8
      There seems to me more activity over in this forum, so I wanted to continue a thread over here, hoping more folks will test and post their results.

Cinebench is a real-world test suite that assesses your computer's performance capabilities. MAXON CINEBENCH is based on MAXON's award winning animation software CINEMA 4D, which is used extensively by studios and production houses worldwide for 3D content creation. MAXON software has been used in blockbuster movies such and Spiderman, Star Wars, The Chronicles of Narnia and many more."
        • 1. Re: Benchmarks
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Here's the results of my first test, using the default settings for Cinebench 10. I hope others will also post so we can start to see some performance comparisons.

Pentium 4 CPU @ 3.6 GHz
          Windows 32 bit 5.1.2600
          Radeon X700 Series x86/SSE2

Open GL Standard Test - 2983
          Single CPU Render Test - 1924
          Multiple CPU Render Test - 2352
          • 2. Re: Benchmarks
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Steven Gotz posted:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU X6800 @ 2.93GHz
            Windows 32 bit 5.1.2600

Single CPU Render Test - 2988
            Multiple CPU Render Test - 5685

My Matrox Parhelia doesn't support the latest OpenGL
            • 3. Re: Benchmarks
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Michael Kubert posted:

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz
              MHz : 3.00
              Number of CPUs : 4
              Operating System : WINDOWS 32 BIT 5.1.2600

Graphics Card : Quadro FX 550/PCI/SSE2
              Resolution : 3840x1200
              Color Depth : 32bit

Rendering (Single CPU): 2909 CB-CPU
              Rendering (Multiple CPU): 10141 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 3.49

Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 2249 CB-GFX
              • 4. Re: Benchmarks
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                KMS posted:

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
                Number of CPUs : 2
                Graphics Card : GeForce 7900 GS/PCI/SSE2

Rendering (Single CPU): 2443 CB-CPU
                Rendering (Multiple CPU): 4638 CB-CPU
                Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.90
                Shading (OpenGL Standard): 4093 CB-GFX
                • 5. Re: Benchmarks
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Keep 'em coming folks. Let's see what various hardware can do.
                  • 6. Re: Benchmarks
                    Level 1
                    3 workstations.. old to new

Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
                    Operating System : WINDOWS 32 BIT 5.0.2195
                    Graphics Card : RADEON 9600 XT x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Rendering (Single CPU): 1731 CB-CPU
                    Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 1557 CB-GFX

------------------------------------------------------

Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
                    Graphics Card : RADEON X800GT x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Rendering (Single CPU): 1975 CB-CPU
                    Rendering (Multiple CPU): 3884 CB-CPU
                    Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.97
                    Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 2292 CB-GFX

------------------------------------------------------

Processor : Dual Xeon quad core (3ghz, x5365?)
                    Number of CPUs : 8
                    Operating System : OS X 32 BIT 10.4.9
                    Graphics Card : ATI Radeon X1900 OpenGL Engine

Rendering (Single CPU): 3194 CB-CPU
                    Rendering (Multiple CPU): 18701 CB-CPU
                    Multiprocessor Speedup: 5.85
                    Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 4934 CB-GFX

Last system was a new mac pro with the dual 3ghz xeons (but I don't know if they're x5365s themselves).

If anyone posts anything higher I'll recalibrate the mac pro to eep out a little more, it was sort of just matter of factly run.. Might run basecamp and see what windows comes up with but the mac x1900 drivers are more up to date for the openGL test on the mac side.

This benchmark did NOT utilize 8 cores effeciently. Towards the end the top and bottom part of the floor were done rendering and the other cores were not immediately fed a new part of the screen to render. There was a large delay. Not sure if the blame is on the benchmark or the OS. Being after effects and 3dsmax work at max utilization, I blame the benchmark.
                    • 7. Re: Benchmarks
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Jason, the new King!
                      • 8. Re: Benchmarks
                        Level 1
                        Loaded Windows in bootcamp (winXP 64) and ran it.

And noting that it does in fact get reported as X5365 by windows, so I guess that's what she be.. I'm pissed Macs got them before everyone else by like a month, that's just wrong..

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5365 @ 3.00GHz
                        Number of CPUs : 8
                        Operating System : WINDOWS 64 BIT 5.2.3790
                        Graphics Card : Radeon X1900 Series Generic

Rendering (Single CPU): 3351 CB-CPU
                        Rendering (Multiple CPU): 20614 CB-CPU
                        Multiprocessor Speedup: 6.15
                        Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 3383 CB-GFX

Just as I had suspected, the old (un-updatable) bootcamp default vid card drivers really stink. But Windows at least load balanced a smidge better and eeped out more CPU..
                        • 9. Re: Benchmarks
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Dude, your rendering is like, 5 time faster than mine. Damn!
                          • 10. Re: Benchmarks
                            Level 1
                            The processors are $12xx range each haha.. It should be that much faster ><<br />
                            A computer is always a big game of bottlenecks. Hard disks are fairly ancient technology that really is the biggest offender in the bottleneck catagory. Now that processors are multi-gigaflop, we're still writing at 100mb/s if you're lucky with a RAID. All this processing power is great to be utilized in rendering but in premiere, most of it goes to waste, just waiting for the HD to keep up.

It's nice in games and with tons of stacked filters in after effects though ;D.
                            • 11. Re: Benchmarks
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Somehow I doubt very much that even your system can render Premiere files faster than a even a single disk can write them.
                              • 12. Re: Benchmarks
                                Level 1
                                [threadJack] It totally depends on what you're doing. My projects usually go through several iterations in after effects, 3ds max, flash, or whatever I'm doing. After that I feed premiere the finished, uncompressed (completely) AVI files and trim them slightly here and there for timing, and/or add the audio. That takes almost no processor at all, it's just bandwidth. I also output back to uncompressed, so it's not even being encoded. That happens with other tools. So I assure you, my disks can't keep up and my processors hit about 5~10% usage during export. [/threadJack]
                                • 13. Re: Benchmarks
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I think you made my point for me, Jason. That particular process is NOT CPU dependent, which is what Cinebench is testing. When the CPU is being utilized to render a new file, the hard disks won't be the bottleneck.
                                  • 14. Re: Benchmarks
                                    Level 1
                                    Your previous statement said rendering from premiere specificly, which is completely different than cinebench rendering. That's why I said your statement is not accurate in my case. Because my HDs are my bottleneck in premiere.

Cinebench (and 3dsmax, which is what I use for 3d) is definitely bottlenecked by FSB in my case. The CPUs themselves have been plagued by memory bandwidth (1.3ghz bus being the latest mainstream). Intels quad core implementation actually uses 2 cores grouped together that must share a single FSB pipe. It's actually sort of a fake quad core, because 2 cores must share a pipe (1.3ghz / 2 = 667mhz for 2 cores, can't even utilize PC6400 800mhz!). AMDs quad core will have individual pipes and on-die memory controllers (as always) and I can't wait to grab them up! So yes, in 3d raytracing and such, bandwidth on the bus and my CPUs and memory are my bottleneck, not the HDs.
                                    • 15. Re: Benchmarks
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      >Because my HDs are my bottleneck in premiere.

Not when you're rendering, which your Premiere workflow does not include. Such a low CPU usage indicates that, while Premiere incorrectly calls it a render, it's really just a file copy process. Add some heavy color correction in Premiere for a genuine render, and you will see the CPU usage go way up, and the process time will then be determined by the CPU performance, not the disk performance.
                                      • 16. Re: Benchmarks
                                        Level 1
                                        In my premiere workflow that is correct. It is simply copying specific portions of an uncompressed file byte for byte to reassemble just the frames I desire at the destination, no rendering or encoding at all. So my HD is my bottleneck while the copy is performed. Which by the way is always using multiple drives to speed it up, from one RAID to another RAID, or from a single drive to another single drive, but never from and to the same drive or the performance is about halved to have to read and write to the same drive.
                                        • 17. Re: Benchmarks
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                          So we are in agreement. For actual rendering, hard drives can outperform the CPUs. This is what makes the Cinebench test useful, I think. It'll tell you which hardware works better for CPU intensive tasks.
                                          • 18. Re: Benchmarks
                                            Level 1
                                            There's a number of benchmarks suitable for this. You can do anything from the age-old Prime95 CPU/FSB/mem tests which has a built in benchmark (but doesn't test GPU), or any 3dmark to fully test the system, down to Sandra (my least favorite but others like it). The Cinema4d test is far less used.

I like downloading the photoshop filter tests and after effects rendering tests just as much as it's showing performance in adobe products themselves. There's lots out there to try.

At least this was a quick and accessible bench..
                                            • 19. Re: Benchmarks
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              I'll have to give that AE test a whirl.

I do like the Cinebench test because it pushes the CPU in ways similar to what an NLE will do, so to me it seems very relevant when trying to decide on which hardware will perform best, with any NLE.
                                              • 20. Re: Benchmarks
                                                Bill Heslip Level 1
                                                Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
                                                GFX-Board: Quadro FX 1500/PCI/SSE2

Rendering (1 CPU): 2687 CB-CPU
                                                Rendering (2 CPUs): 5103 CB-CPU
                                                Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.90x

OpenGL Standard: 3851 CB-GFX
                                                • 21. Re: Benchmarks
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  Thanks Bill.

Keep 'em coming folks.
                                                  • 22. Re: Benchmarks
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Jim,

I ran the benchmark and it runs fine, I just canot get it to output stuff like this:

Rendering (1 CPU): 2687 CB-CPU
                                                    Rendering (2 CPUs): 5103 CB-CPU

Mine shows a display but not that. What am I missing?
                                                    • 23. Re: Benchmarks
                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                      What does yours show?
                                                      • 24. Re: Benchmarks
                                                        Level 1
                                                        Processor : Dual Quad Core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5335 @ 2.00GHz
                                                        OS : WINDOWS 32 BIT 5.1.2600
                                                        GFX Board : Quadro FX 1500/PCI/SSE2

Rendering (1 CPU) 2043 CB-CPU
                                                        Rendering (8 CPU) 12064 CB-CPU

Mulitprocessor Speedup 5.90x

Open GL Standard 3721 CB-GFX

Not sure what any of these numbers mean, but there you go...
                                                        • 25. Re: Benchmarks
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Ran the benchmark and I think something is wrong with my system or I did something wrong:<br /><br />CINEBENCH 9.5<br />****************************************************<br /><br />Tester           : <br /><br />Processor        : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600<br />MHz              : 2.4<br />Number of CPUs   : 2<br />Operating System : Windows XP Pro 32 bit<br /><br />Graphics Card    : nVidia 8500GT<br />Resolution       : <fill this out><br />Color Depth      : <fill this out><br /><br />****************************************************<br /><br />Rendering (Single   CPU): 400 CB-CPU <br />Rendering (Multiple CPU): 742 CB-CPU <br /><br />Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.85<br /><br />Shading (CINEMA 4D)                : 477 CB-GFX <br />Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1559 CB-GFX <br />Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 2453 CB-GFX <br /><br />OpenGL Speedup: 5.14<br /><br />****************************************************
                                                          • 26. Re: Benchmarks
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            Phil, higher numbers are better. That's all you really need to know.

Howard, you ran version 9.5. Everyone else is running version 10. That's why such a big difference in the numbers.

Thanks for posting guys. More, more...
                                                            • 27. Re: Benchmarks
                                                              Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                              CINEBENCH R10<br />****************************************************<br /><br />Tester           : <br /><br />Processor        : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+<br />MHz              : <br />Number of CPUs   : 2<br />Operating System : WINDOWS 64 BIT 6.0.6000<br /><br />Graphics Card    : RADEON X700 Series  <br />Resolution       : <fill this out><br />Color Depth      : <fill this out><br /><br />****************************************************<br /><br />Rendering (Single   CPU): 1751 CB-CPU <br />Rendering (Multiple CPU): 3253 CB-CPU <br /><br />Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.86<br /><br />Shading (OpenGL Standard)          : 2091 CB-GFX <br /><br />****************************************************
                                                              • 28. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                Anyone else?
                                                                • 29. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                  Gary Andrew Level 1
                                                                  Tester : Gary Andrew

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz
                                                                  MHz :
                                                                  Number of CPUs : 4

Graphics Card : GeForce 8500 GT/PCI/SSE2
                                                                  Resolution : 1280x1024 (2 monitors)
                                                                  Color Depth : 32 Bit

****************************************************

Rendering (Single CPU): 2588 CB-CPU
                                                                  Rendering (Multiple CPU): 8799 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 3.40

Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 2468 CB-GFX
                                                                  • 30. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                    Thanks Gary.

I noticed that KMS (in post 4) got a comparable score using the same processor for a single CPU, but got much lower figures using all 4 cores, with only a 1.9 speedup. Whereas your 3.40 speedup is more what I expect from a quad.

I wonder, how much memory do each of you have installed? And at what speeds?
                                                                    • 31. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      I have 2 gigs (dual channel)at 667 ghz.

KMS
                                                                      • 32. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                        Gary Andrew Level 1
                                                                        I have 4 gigs at 667 (I am using the 3gig switch)
                                                                        • 33. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                          KMS, any chance of running again, just to see of your first post was an anomoly?
                                                                          • 34. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            CINEBENCH R10

Tester : GameMonkey

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz

Graphics Card : GeForce 8800 GTX/PCI/SSE2
                                                                            Resolution : 1280x1024
                                                                            Color Depth : 32 bit

Rendering (Single CPU): 2713 CB-CPU
                                                                            Rendering (Multiple CPU): 5057 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.86

Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 3920 CB-GFX

• 35. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                              akribie Level 2
                                                                              Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz MHz :
                                                                              Motherboard : Intel D975XBX2
                                                                              RAM : 2Gb
                                                                              Graphics Card : GeForce 8800 GTX/PCI/SSE2
                                                                              Resolution : 1280x1024 (twin)
                                                                              Color Depth : 32 bit

Rendering (Single CPU): 2578 CB-CPU
                                                                              Rendering (Multiple CPU): 4797 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.86
                                                                              Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 3957 CB-GFX

GameMonkey's is a very similar setup to mine by the look of it, but he scores a bit higher on the CPU speed tests.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                The scores are pretty close, David, and within what you might expect if you ran the same test twice on the same machine.

Thanks for posting guys. Keep 'em comin'.
                                                                                • 37. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                                  Level 1
                                                                                  GameMonkey is the name of my gaming PC, soon to be used to learn PP CS3. I ran the tests twice. The second time I exited all other applications, including those pesky processes in the system tray (real-time antivirus, etc).
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                                    akribie Level 2
                                                                                    I ran my tests twice, too. The first time I continued with other routine activities. The second was run with no other active programs. Differences were very minor. I didn't shut down Internet security software.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Benchmarks
                                                                                      Level 1
                                                                                      Jim,

I ran the test again and came up with the following results:

CINEBENCH R10

Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
                                                                                      Graphics Card : GeForce 7900 GS/PCI/SSE2

Rendering (Single CPU): 2453 CB-CPU
                                                                                      Rendering (Multiple CPU): 4627 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.89

Shading (OpenGL Standard): 4954 CB-GFX

The only thing that has changed a lot is the Opengl score. Up almost 900 points since I have turned off the spectral spread in my bios.

KMS
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next