2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 7:01 AM by lchapman66

Hi-res & fast file . . . how to present in SD?

lchapman66 Level 1
      I have a customer who sent me a screen capture in an AVI (Xvid codec) file that is 1280x800 and 200fps. They want it meshed (alternating between the two) with a 640x480 30fps video of a talking head.

I created a standard NTSC project. The customer has issues with the resulting bluriness of the screen shots and, sometimes, when the screen scrolls it jumps around instead of being smooth (I assume this is some artifact of going from 200fps to 20fps).

So . . . I created an HD project (1280x720) and re-created the piece.

Now, of course, the screen shots are crisp but the file size is huge.

My thought is to find a better way to shrink & slow the screen video for presentation in SD.

And your thought are???
        • 1. Re: Hi-res & fast file . . . how to present in SD?
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Xvid was not a good choice for his export if he wanted it to be edited.

Screen captures just don't look good in SD unless they are only of an SD sized part of the window (as defined by pixels).

Your talking head can be a PIP in the larger frame, so you can go HD. What is his use? Playback on TV or computer/web?

I wonder how a pan and scan of the larger image in an SD project would work if that is where you have to end. Content probably makes that a no go.
          • 2. Re: Hi-res & fast file . . . how to present in SD?
            lchapman66 Level 1
            > Xvid was not a good choice for his export if he wanted it to be edited.

That doesn't seem to be causing the issues.

>Screen captures just don't look good in SD unless they are only of an SD sized part of the window (as defined by pixels).

My experience also.

>Your talking head can be a PIP in the larger frame, so you can go HD. What is his use? Playback on TV or computer/web?

Web.

> I wonder how a pan and scan of the larger image in an SD project would work if that is where you have to end. Content probably makes that a no go.

Might be more work than they're willing to pay for. We'll see.

The HD version I created looks sharp. The issue now seems to be the conversion from the original file's 200fps down to the project's 25fps (and eventually even lower, to reduce file size, when exported to .flv). The behavior is a bit hard to explain, but let's just say the video "jitters", especially when the screen shot shows scrolling. It really doesn't look like "skipped frames", it almost looks like some frames are repeated.