10 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2009 8:00 PM by kwompus

Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes

Lately Premiere CS3 is giving me the error message "running very low on system memory, save project and proceed with caution" and then it frequently closes on me unexpectedly. Hints?
        • 1. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
          Level 1
          This usually happens when I'm working with titles.
          • 2. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            It's been suggested that this is a false error related to titles, safe to ignore. I've had it myself, and ignored it. Never had a crash afterwards, though.
            • 3. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
              stenapp Level 1
              I have this problem too, crash and all, and it is as real as they come. I'm running Win XP Pro (32 bit) as my OS.

Kate, if you are running Windows XP, use task manager (ctrl-alt-del) to monitor your utilization of system memory while you are running PPro. And save often. Very often. This is not a solution, but it will let you get some work done by minimizing the "unexpectedly" of the shut downs.

What I have observed is that for some reason PPCS3 does not always release memory as you work on the timeline. Running the "performance" window in task manager will tell you when you are getting too close to maximum avilable memory before PPCS3 shuts down.

When you have gotten to between two thirds and three fourths utilization of available memory, save and shut down PPro. The graph in task mamager will show that your memory is clearing, and when it settles down, start up your project in PPro again. Repeat as necessary.

If the gurus on this forum know what's going on with this, they aren't saying. But the chances are, they don't have the same problems with this as we mortals.
              • 4. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
                Bill Seper Level 1
                Check with Windows to see how it handles virtual memory. Make sure it says "System Managed Size". In other words, if you're still trying the old trick of setting your "initial" and "mazimum" sizes to the same ammount, this doesn't seem to work as well with XP (or Vista I assume) as it did back in the day with Windows 98 and so on, and it can cause exactly the kind of problem you're having. Of course it may be something else entirely, but I would check my page file first.
                • 5. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
                  I've had the same issue with bins or timelines displaying thumbnails in CS3.

As you click on various bins or timelines to view them the memory used measured by task manager starts to climb. But closing the bins or timeline does not reduce the memory used. Eventually the system becomes unstable and crashes. I have 4GB in a 32 bit Vista system with around 3.6GB 'visible' as RAM to the OS. ~2.5GB+ usage appears to be where instability becomes an issue.

Does anyone knows a way to get Premier to free up RAM without shutting it down and starting up again?
                  • 6. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
                    Temekou

I had the same issue with my CS3; here is how I resolved it:

-Found that I had some clips with spaces and punctuations in the file name.

-I proceeded to rename them properly (exemple: from "don-on the street.1" to "don_on_the_street1"

-After re-opening Premiere, I had to find the missing files (obviously when you rename an on line file, premiere will not recognize it untill you specify it)

-Make sure, once premiere is up running, to save it as, giving a different name to the project. (just in case you selected a wrong file, and have to go back)

-Et voila! Bye bye to the low memory issue...

Here is where I found help; This might help you on other issues you might come accross:

http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

Hope this helps

• 7. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are getting a "real" error, then the first thing that I would recommend is to study your programs and Processes in Task Manager. Look closely at the Processes tab. What is loaded and running? A screen-cap of the Processes list might help people to spot many that are totally unnecessary and can safely be removed from the boot files via MSCONFIG.

Next, when you're going to edit, Exit from ALL anti-virus, spyware blockers and pop-up blockers. Obviously, you will NOT want to be surfing the 'Net, once you do that. If you are editing, you will not be using other programs, except as required for actually editing - might be Photoshop, Encore, Illustrator, but no e-mail, messaging, iTunes, etc.. Next, use a program, like EndItAll2, to close down all unnecessary programs and Processes. It used to be freeware, but is now shareware. When installed, it surveys all running Processes and builds a database of the ones that it believes are unnecessary. It's really good at this, but you can tweak it easily, should it overlook one, or included one, that is really necessary. The reason that I Exit from things like AV and spyware detectors, is that by design, they will "lie" to programs like EndItAll2 and say that they ARE necessary. That is the way they works against Trojans, etc., that will try to close these to duck detection. There are other such programs, and many are freeware. I just use this one on every machine. Luckily, I got copies, when it was freeware, but would gladly pay for the shareware version, since it's so very good.

Now, your system is clean, lean and mean. You have rid it of some programs and Processes on a semi-permanent basis with MSCONFIG and then closed out of others. Last, on a session basis, you have eliminated many more.

One more step that can make a world of difference: check your Windows' Virtual Memory settings. Study the location of the Page File and also the management configuration. I like a static Page File, off of my C:\ and not on my media file HDD. I set to 2.5x my physical RAM. Others will locate this file elsewhere. It might take a bit of experimentation to find what is best for you.

Last, more HDD's, properly used, of adequate speed and size, will benefit you. Always defrag all HDD's on a regular basis. Much gets written to, read from, and often deleted during editing. This can fragment a HDD in a hurry. See the articles that are linked HERE. There is a wealth of info on setting up one's physical HDD's, plus other tips.

Now, you are ready to edit efficiently and smoothly, provided that you have good Assets, that PrPro likes. Still, as has been mentioned, there is a false error, and it often pops up with Titler.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
                        kwompus Level 1

I agree w/ previous post - also, I run into this when I import still files that have frame sizes that are too large - I've keep them under 1000 and have had no issues going forward.  One note - I did not have this issue in PP1.5 and reducing each individual photo prior to import is a significant change in the editing process - if there are ways to change frame size once a file had been imported I would greatly appreciate and help on this.

• 9. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, while PrPro can handle still up to 4k pixels x 4k pixels, most people think that the result will be much higher rez, if they use monster stills. Your suggestion is a good one.

I always do any still image work by hand, whether a SlideShow, or an inclusion in an otherwise Video Project. I will re-size in Photoshop to exactly what I need. If I will be panning on a zoomed out image, then it is sized to what I will need. If I only zoom in, and possibly pan on that, then I go with exactly what the Project frame-size is.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Error Message Premiere Pro CS3 running short of system memory; then closes
                            kwompus Level 1

"...I always do any still image work by hand, whether a SlideShow, or an inclusion in an otherwise Video Project. I will re-size in Photoshop to exactly what I need."

Do you know if this 'Out Of Memory' issue has been resolved in CS4....losing the ability to drop in stills dramatically changes the way I edit and since I was able to do it in 1.5 w/o resizing I am spoiled...note - I edit team music videos for youth and can use hundreds of stills in a given video - resizing each still would add hours to my task.

Thanks!