21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2007 1:10 AM by (Matt_Albright)

Why can't I drag things to the timeline?

I decided to upgrade to Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 last night after long debate and not wanting to spend the money. Everything is going pretty well now after transferring my project created using Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 into the new program.

But now I just can't figure out why it won't let me drag media, video/audio transitions, or video/audio effects to the timeline or Effect Controls screen. I'm getting the little No Smoking/Ghostbusters symbol next to my cursor when I try to click and drag those items. Can anyone help? I've searched the help file in the program, the Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 Help.pdf file, did numerous Google searches, and searched this Forum.

Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong here? I was trying very hard to not waste anyone's time with a simple question if I could find the answer on my own, but I don't want to waste this entire weekend trying to figure out these problems if there's a simple resolution. :)

Thanks!
      Matt
        • 1. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
          si conehead Level 2
          You must import the asset before using it.

Drag to Project Panel and from there drag to timeline.

--
          • 2. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
            Level 1
            But it's already in the Project Panel. I imported it into Elements 3.0 last week. Now if I click it in the Project Panel (I think it was called Available Media in Elements 3.0), if I click the asset and drag it a millimeter, I get that no smoking symbol.

- Matt
            • 3. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
              si conehead Level 2
              Try starting with a new project and just import a .avi file and then drag
              to timeline. Does that work?

I know nothing about importing Premiere Elements Projects.

--
              Steve
              • 4. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                Level 1
                No, that doesn't work either. The .AVI file that I used was captured using Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0, so there should be no compatibility issues there.

- Matt
                • 5. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                  si conehead Level 2
                  You started with a brand new project and then imported that avi into PPro
                  and that doesn't work? What are your project settings?
                  --
                  Steve
                  • 6. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                    Get rid of your Premiere Elements contaminated files and try a new project with files that have not been touched with Elements. You will not have that problem.
                    PPBM+ Premiere Pro
                    DV & HDV Benchmarks
                    • 7. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                      si conehead Level 2
                      Other than recapture with PPro, I am out of ideas.

--
                      Steve
                      • 8. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                        si conehead Level 2
                        Bill,

Why would Adobe let you import Elements stuff if it doesn't work?

--
                        Steve
                        • 9. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                          Level 1
                          That is correct, Steve. Thanks for the suggestions, Bill. I will try a new project from scratch, recapturing a short segment of new video using PPro. But I agree with Steve, "Why would Adobe let you import Elements stuff if it doesn't work?" It doesn't make sense that Premiere Elements-captured .AVI files would be "contaminated." Everything about the transition went smoothly, and I can't believe that contaminated .AVIs files would cause me to not apply effects or transitions. If that's the case, then I've invested over 10 hours in a project that I can no longer open using Elements to even export my project to an .AVI and just use that in a DVD menu and will be forced to literally start from scratch for a third time. GRR...

- Matt
                          • 10. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                            My CS3 is still on order, so this is just a general comment...

I learned a long time ago (different products, for database programming) to never EVER try to upgrade or change products in the middle of a project

You did both, going from Elements 3 to PPro3... and even if that is supposed to work, doing so in the middle of a project is just not a good idea

But... that is only my $.02 cents worth
                            • 11. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                              Level 1
                              Well, I wouldn't have even considered going from a Sonic/Roxio product to Adobe in the middle of a project, but this is Adobe to Adobe.

Anyhow, it turns out that that is probably not the issue at all, as I have started from scratch, with a different directory, with a different Digital-8 camcorder tape, and recaptured a totally different 5-minute clip with two scenes. Neither can be pulled into the timeline.

Son of a B!

- Matt
                              • 12. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                Level 1
                                I just found another discussion (FINALLY!) about this same topic at http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc337e7. I am reading it now to see if anything in there helps.

- Matt
                                • 13. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                  si conehead Level 2
                                  Digital 8?<br /><br />Premiere works best with captures from a MiniDV camera through firewire. <br />Anything else can be problematic.<br /><br />What codec is your Digital 8?<br /><br />Use Gspot to find out what CODEC created your source file <br /><a href=http://www.headbands.com/gspot<br /><br />-- <br />Steve
                                  • 14. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                    Level 1
                                    Okay, I read everyone's posts in that discussion, but I see a Sequence 01 in both of my projects, so I don't think that's the cause.

In my newly created project, I was able to drag the first clip to the Source window, then drag it from there to the timeline, and do the same with the second clip. But why can't you just go from Project Files to Timeline? That workflow actually makes sense to me. But I digress...

However, while I was able to move a video Cross Dissolve transition in there, I was not able to drag an audio Crossfade for some reason.

Since my original project already had all of the necessary clips in it, maybe that's why I can't pull them in there again without duplicating first.

I also found a nice video tutorial at http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0231 that helps with the visualization of what the Help files are trying to say regarding importing, capturing, and moving things to the timeline.

I'll have to play with this some more after I watch a few more video tutorials.

Thanks,
                                    Matt
                                    • 15. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                      Level 1
                                      I just pulled the newly captured video clip into Gspot and it says this:

Video Codec
                                      4CC: dvsd Name: DVC/DV Video
                                      Stat: 4 compatible codecs installed

Audio Codec
                                      Name: PCM Audio
                                      Stat: PCM: No codec required

Then I pulled in the video file that I originally captured with Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 and it says the exact same thing.

- Matt
                                      • 16. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                        Level 1
                                        Alright, I think this comes down to me not understanding that you need to drag clips to the Source and then from the Source to the Timeline. Also, I can get both video and audio transitions to work now. When I click and drag them, they still show the no smoking symbol underneath my mouse pointer, like it's not going to work. But as long as you get near a scene split, the no smoking symbol disappears now. I don't remember it disappearing before, and I am editing back in my original project that was created with Elements.

So in a roundabout way, this issue has been resolved by doing virtually nothing. Now my last thing to get fixed is to figure out why my stereo bass boost of 6db on every scene on the timeline doesn't appear to be adding anything any longer. I can futz with the 6db while the video is playing, going up to 24db and down to -24db, with the audio not changing.
                                        • 17. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                          Level 1
                                          Hey! Hang on... I was wrong about the Gspot settings being exactly the same. My newly captured video in Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 (800MB file size) also says "File Length Correct". My video originally captured in Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 (it says 500MB file size, but it's actually 8.9GB) says:

"Corrupt AVI Header:

This is an invalid AVI file due to corruption of the data in the header. This is a serious problem, and this file is not likely to playable (I'm not the one who typed this sentence all screwy and without end punctuation)

Details: While processing chunk /RIFF:AVI, found bad length value 1069461800 at file offset 0x0000fc94"

Just to check if the other camcorder tape that I transferred in had the same problem, I checked my other video file with a supposedly 1,820MB file size, though it's actually 10.2GB, and that file says "File Length Correct".

So it looks like this is not a file corruption issue with upgrading from Adobe Premiere Element 3.0 to Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, but possibly a corrupt file. However, it works fine now and I haven't come across any video problem yet.

This also doesn't explain the bass boost problem, but I am going to focus on that now.

Thanks everyone for your input, and thank you Steve about the Gspot tip!

- Matt
                                          • 18. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                            si conehead Level 2
                                            Jim,

Thanks. I learn something new everyday.

--
                                            Steve
                                            • 19. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              >Digital 8? Premiere works best with captures from a MiniDV camera through firewire.

Just as an FYI, Digital 8 is exactly the same as MiniDV, but on an 8mm tape. It normally would come in over Firewire, and Premiere should have no issues either with these cameras or the footage.
                                              • 20. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                                si conehead Level 2
                                                I also get from Gspot that info about a possibly corrupted file due to a
                                                corrupt AVI header but these files work fine in PPro 2. Does anybody know
                                                why?

--
                                                Steve
                                                • 21. Re: Why can't I drag things to the timeline?
                                                  Level 1
                                                  "This also doesn't explain the bass boost problem, but I am going to focus on that now."

I think I've figured this out now as well. I'm used to Sonic MyDVD 6.1, which has square boxes instead of a timeline, and anytime it would switch to a new scene box, all of the settings would be updated to the next scene's settings as well.

I guess I was assuming that if the video switched to the next scene, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 would be on the next set of Effect Controls. So I was clicking on the Bass Boost Bypass button and nothing was happening in the scene I was listening to, because it was happening elsewhere.

Thanks,
                                                  Matt