6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2009 12:49 AM by (Mitchell_Remes)

audio pops in tape output (HDV)

sminnis
      I'm sending a native HDV timeline back to tape, but when I do so I get little pops in the audio. There are no audio artifacts in the timeline, and my file outputs (DVD mpeg and cineform AVI) both sound just fine. Any ideas what might be behind this? I'm running PPro CS3 v. 3.2.0 on the following system:

Dell Precision PWS390
      Intel Core2 6400
      2.13GHz, 2GB RAM
      NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: audio pops in tape output (HDV)
          Bill Seper Level 1
          Could it be that the audio on the timeline is something other than 16/48?
          • 2. Re: audio pops in tape output (HDV)
            sminnis Level 1
            I hadn't thought of that. I checked the project, and both the source audio and project audio format are listed as 48 kHz, but the project audio also says it's bit depth is "32 bit floating point." I thought I'd try changing that to 16 bit to see if it helped, but when I open project settings, it only gives me an option to change the sample rate, not the bit depth.
            • 3. Re: audio pops in tape output (HDV)
              Bill Seper Level 1
              Do you have Audition or some other wave editor that can change the soundfile to 16/44.1? If not, you might want to try Audacity. It's a free editor that works pretty good.

audacity.sourceforge.net

Just export the sound only from the timeline as a wave file, open with Audacity, change the bit depth and re-save it, then bring it back to the timeline in CS3 either on it's own track while muting the old one, or just delete the old one altogether after separating it from the video.

At least I'm guessing that's the problem. If it is then you'll have clued us all onto to something new to watch for while exporting to tape. Consider yourself a guinea pig sir!
              • 4. Re: audio pops in tape output (HDV)
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Won't work Charles. Premiere would only convert it to 32 bit FP for internal use anyway, as it does with all audio files regardless of project settings.

This is not the likely cause of any error here, though. I'd look elsewhere.
                • 5. Re: audio pops in tape output (HDV)
                  Bill Seper Level 1
                  "Premiere would only convert it to 32 bit FP for internal use anyway, as it does with all audio files regardless of project settings."

I didn't know it did that now. Good to know.
                  • 6. Re: audio pops in tape output (HDV)
                    (Mitchell_Remes)
                    This is a stab in the dark, but it might be that the 32 bit FP format is giving you just a tiny bit of extra headroom before distortion kicks in on your system but the system you are dubbing to might be slightly less forgiving, have you tried knocking back the audio by a couple of db before exporting. It is always tempting to normalise to zero but I always try to avoid it by at least 2 db full scale digital.