1 2 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2007 11:57 AM by (Jason_Lawless)

Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!

There are several occasions where I'm in the middle of a job and I wish to change, say, a video. I have some other video that can directly overlay it. Premiere Pro CS3 (as opposed to older versions) will not let me relink a video in my project to another video unless they both either have audio, or do not.

Why?

Why do you care, Adobe, if both videos have audio?

Why do you care if they both don't?

I think I can make my own decisions based on if they have audio or not. 99% of the time, I don't use the audio in the clip as it it, so please stop failing my re-linking of a video based on if they both have audio or not. That's for ME to decide if it's "ok" to replace.

Just remove audio off the timeline if the video I relink to does not have it. Vice versa, do NOT put the audio on the timeline if it DOES have it and my original video did not. This is not difficult, this is expected behavior, and having to re-create videos so they match audio-wise is insanely counterproductive.
        • 1. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
          Level 1
          What exactly is your question, it is buried deep beneath a rant I cannot quite see it?

Are you having a problem re linking a video to a piece of audio? Or do you want link 2 pieces of video? Are you are having trouble linking anything to anything?

Have you tried "Grouping"?

> I wish to change, say, a video

Have you tried "Replace With Clip", just unlink the file and replace either audio or video?
          • 2. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
            Level 1
            This is not a difficult to read post. Deep beneath your own counter-rant reply I'm sure you mean to help but don't call the kettle black, thanks.

It's very simple. The problem is if the video you are trying to replace (relink) in the project does not match the AUDIO of the original clip, you cannot.

If:

Your source video has STEREO AUDIO and the replacement clip has MONO AUDIO, you cannot relink this file.

Your source video has MONO AUDIO and the replacement clip has STEREO AUDIO, you cannot relink this file.

Your source video has AUDIO and the replacement clip has NO AUDIO, you cannot relink this file.

Your source video has NO AUDIO and the replacement clip has AUDIO, you cannot relink this file.

Seeing the problem? Most of the time when I'm re-linking video to another file for whatever reason, the audio is not my concern, I only need the video portion of it.

Example? Localizing video for other languages. Often I desire to relink ONLY the video portion of these files as I use completely seperate created VOs. I get handed some replacement video that does not meet the exact audio spec (stereo/mono/audioless/etc) of the original source clip and I cannot relink this video to replace it.

Using the replace video clip feature of CS3 does not solve this as this function is excessively limited. You cannot replace multiple timeline instances at once, and the internal timestamps of video cuts are not reflected in the replaced video. Every time you replace the video using replace clip, the timestamps start over.

This is just an annoying facit of Premiere. This can only BE a rant, as there is no workaround. This is just how 'stupid' Premiere has become, as back as far as 6.5 you did NOT need to match the audio when replacing videos.
            • 3. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              If I understand the post, even Premiere Pro 2.0 required a newly linked file to be the same type (just audio, just video, or both). Premiere would give an error otherwise, saying the new file is not the same type as the old file, and the relink would fail.

Personally, I fail to see any workability at all in relinking the wrong file to the clip in the bin.
              • 4. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                Level 1
                I've used every version of Premiere since around 3. 4, 5, 6.5, PP1.5, PP2, PPCS3. It's only since I started using Pro that this has become a problem.

And I deal with videos that match identically all the time. Only difference is the text inside them changes language to language, but the timing of each is identical.

The trick is simple but saves me tons of time. Being the video I use directly overlays exactly (aside containing different languages in the text), I can use the file re-linking of Premiere to quickly localize a videos assets.

I duplicate project file (one for each language). When I open up, for example, the Japanese version of these videos, I simply "make offline" all my videos and audio files in the library. I then "link" each file manually to a translated version (videos and audio). Now I have a timeline with all the cuts and polish identical to the English version, only it's all translated to Japanese assets. All I ever need to do is adjust audio in/out points as sometimes VOs are longer or shorter. Viola, a fully translated file in about 2 minutes.

Is there a problem in my process? I don't feel as though I'm mis-using the file relinking feature in premiere. I end up with a fully translated file in minutes. I can't see a better (faster) way of doing this. However audio needing to match has become an obstacle in this.

This is just one example of replacing video relinking. There are plenty of other times I want to replace an airplane with a train (or whatever) in some part of the video but due to either source clip being different, I can't just do this, I need to work manually on the timeline to replace this. All the cuts and effects based on the cuts need to be re-worked because you can't just relink the file. VERY annoying!
                • 5. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                  Level 1
                  Firstly "relink" and "replace" are different functions. Relink allows to to link 2 files, one audio and one video on your timeline.

Replace allows you to substitute a clip with another clip from your bin or timeline, keeping all the effects and attributes of the previous file used including the In & Out points.

> Your source video has STEREO AUDIO and the replacement clip has MONO AUDIO, you cannot relink this file.

Not true. In fact most of what you describe I was able to achieve. I tested it now and it worked fine. What exactly are you doing to relink a clip?

> Often I desire to relink ONLY the video portion of these files

Then hold down ALT and replace the audio/video with a track from your bin.

> You cannot replace multiple timeline instances at once, and the internal time stamps of video cuts are not reflected in the replaced video.

This is natural of course. You cannot expect Premiere to match and keep internal In & Out points for clips that have different total durations. Also each clip has a different timecode In Point seperate from it's duration.
                  • 6. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                    Jeron Coolman Level 1
                    If I understand this right, I had the same problems with CS3. I had some clips that were captured with 2 mono audio tracks instead of 1 stereo track.

It wouldn't let me recapture those clips as stereo clips and relink the original master clips to the new clips. It acted like it did and it gave me no indication that it shouldn't have worked, but it didn't and the project had to be re-done from scratch.

I thought I was able to do this in 2.0, but can't remember for sure.

For me the problem wasn't that I couldn't do it as much as it behaves like a bug. CS3 would act like the relink worked, you'd start working, then it would crash and the project wouldn't open again or it would open with the media off line or you could work for the rest of the day with no problems, come back the next day to find that the project wouldn't open.

If this isn't supported, the program should tell me it isn't and don't let me do it. If it is a bug, then Adobe should fix it. ;)
                    • 7. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                      Level 1
                      Not true. In fact most of what you describe I was able to achieve. I tested it now and it worked fine. What exactly are you doing to relink a clip?

I already explained this but, no, it's not working for you, you must be doing something different entirely. Once my machine is done rendering in after effects I'll post a screenshot, but I already explained this. To reproduce this problem the steps are simple:

1. Import a video with mono audio
                      2. Place on timeline in any sequence
                      3. Right-click on the video in the Project Library, Make-offline
                      4. Right-click on the video in the Project Library, select link the video, choose some other video clip with stereo audio, or no audio

You will get an error that the source video has a mono audio channel and cannot be replaced by a stereo (or no audio) clip. It will fail. Every time.

Then hold down ALT and replace the audio/video with a track from your bin.

This is an entirely different thing than what I'm doing. Replace clip is not my solution, and is limited as I posted about earlier.

This is natural of course. You cannot expect Premiere to match and keep internal In & Out points for clips that have different total durations. Also each clip has a different timecode In Point seperate from it's duration.

Ahhh.. The good old "assumption" screwing everything up. This is not the case, all the time. My videos are identical. That is, exact resolution, exact time (down to the frame count), etc. The only difference is in the content in the video itself (text and visuals). They are an identical video as far as the computer is concerned, only differing in audio. And premiere things this is a good enough reason to refuse relinking.

And honestly, even if the duration differs, there are better ways of dealing with it than just outright failing. So what if the in and out points are out of range for a clip I'm replacing it with? Just use the 'video offline' effect or create a new visual indicator that the timestamps are invalid for the range, but work for the valid timestamp ranges. Then I can wholly replace clips easily with other clips to see which I like better, without making me re-create my keyframing effects.

Again, this is not my problem, I don't like or care to use replace clip. I am trying to RELINK files, which as you said, is a completely different thing. I am not confused, I have been using premiere for as long as anyone else here. This is a valid issue that older Premieres did not care about, and rightly so.
                      • 8. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                        Jeron Coolman Level 1
                        Yeah Jason, like I said in my post, sometimes it "appears" to have worked when it doesn't. I've also experienced exactly what you are talking about.

I've done basically what you just described, even with the same clip captured with stereo vs the original version captured with mono.

Sometimes it just fails during the relink and crashes, sometimes it appears to have worked and allows you to continue editing just fine for hours, but eventually (usually no later than the next day), you won't be able to open the project or the media will go off line and the program will crash when you try to relink, etc.
                        • 9. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                          Level 1
                          > I simply "make offline" all my videos and audio files in the library. I then "link" each file manually to a translated version (videos and audio).

So you are talking about making offline files online by linking it using "Link Media", and not the linking on the timeline where I thought you were.

Ok same page.
                          • 10. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                            Level 1
                            > I then "link" each file manually to a translated version (videos and audio)

Let me get this straight you link one at a time right? Yes.

In your own words
                            > "My videos are identical. That is, exact resolution, exact time (down to the frame count), etc. The only difference is in the content in the video itself (text and visuals). They are an identical video as far as the computer is concerned, only differing in audio"

Then if that is the case you should be able to use "Replace With Clip" from your bin since, as you say they are all the same. So therefore it should replace the clips without you having to change anything. Just import all the new media into another bin.

Since you are doing it
                            b one file
                            at a time, it should take the same amount of time to do it your way (and fail) or "Replace With Clip".

So, I do not see what you are ranting about. Your statements undermine each other.
                            • 11. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                              Jeron Coolman Level 1
                              That's interesting. I understand what Jason is saying. Maybe because I'm experiencing the same problem? ;)

I'm using relink btw. Haven't tried a "Replace Clip" workaround yet. Can you "Replace Clip" on the master clip and have that change be effected through every sequence it appears in?
                              • 12. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                Level 1
                                > Can you "Replace Clip" on the master clip and have that change be effected through every sequence it appears in?

Yes. I tested it now and it replaces every instance of that clip, even if it is nested.
                                • 13. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                  Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                  What is the difference between "Relink" and "Replace with Clip"? I've never used "Replace with Clip" probably because this process is called "relinking" in all of the other NLEs I've used. At least for me, because I'm trying to "relink" the original clip (albeit with the same audio, but in a different format).
                                  • 14. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                    Level 1
                                    b Re linking:

1) Re linking of media that is off-line. This is different to type 2,
                                    2) On your timeline you have the option to > Right Click > Link and Unlink audio from the video and vice versa.

b Replacing one clip with another

You can replace one clip in the Timeline with another from the Source Monitor or a bin, retaining any effects that were applied to the original clip in the Timeline.

Using one of the following keyboard modifiers, drag a clip from the Project panel or Source Monitor onto a clip in the Timeline panel:
                                    To use the In point of the new clip use Alt-drag.

To apply the In point of the original clip to the new clip, Shift-Alt-drag.

In the Timeline, clip position and effects are preserved, and any effects that were applied to the original clip are applied to the replacement clip.
                                    • 15. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                      Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                      That description sounds like it wouldn't work for me.

I've got a master clip that I've used in 10 sequences and it appears in 10 different edits in each of those sequences.

I can click on the master clip in the bin and "Relink" it to a different clip and have all of the 10 edits in all of the 10 sequences be effected by that one action.

From the description you gave of "Replace Clip", I'd have to do that operation 100 times, once for each edit in each sequence.

Is that correct?

If so, in my case where "Relink" is broken and buggy, using "Replace Clip" 100 times would be a workaround, albeit not a very attractive workaround, but the only one nonetheless...
                                      • 16. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                        Level 1
                                        The disconnect here is that on my timeline, I have significant edits. Being you can only replace a clip on the timeline with another clip in your bin one at a time, a 5-minute clip that has 30 cuts in it will need to be replace 30 times on the timeline.

I hack my videos into little bits because I make a lot of the CGI in after effects and 3dsmax and re-time them in premiere. I speed up/slow down, cut and time the pieces exactly how I like. So one video on my timeline can be cut into dozens of pieces!

I cannot replace all these pieces at once. I can't drag a selection around all 30 pieces that compromise 1 video and replace them all at once, maintaining the timestamps of each cut. It only replaces one of them at a time. What's worse? The replacement clip starts at the timestamp 0! So if my original cut was at 50 seconds in, it is now 0 seconds in when I replace the clip.

Just so we're on the same page... Another psuedosituation...

I have a video on my timeline that's 10 seconds long. I cut it at 2 seconds, and 8 seconds. So I have one video with 2 cuts on my timeline, or in other words, 3 seperate clips (0-2 seconds, 2-8 seconds, 8-10 seconds).

I delete the center clip (2-8 seconds) so all I have left is 0-2 seconds on the left and 8-10 seconds, having deleted the middle 2-8 seconds clip. I then drag the 8-10 second right clip to the left so it sits flush with the 0-2 seconds clip. I now have a continuous video 0-2 seconds, then 8-10 seconds, or now a 4 second video overall. With me?

K.

Now select both clips (0-2, 8-10) and try to replace clip on both of them at once. Won't let you. So what do you do? Replace 0-2 first, forced to do one clip at a time. That succeeds just fine, because it started at 0 seconds. Now replace the 8-10 seconds clip the same way. What's the problem? This slice now starts at 0 seconds, instead of 8 seconds. So now I have 2 2-second clips that both start at 0 seconds, completely ruining the internal timestamp it used to have, of 8-10 seconds.

This is NOT what happens when you re-link a file. Your timestamps are perfectly fine when you re-link files. All your cuts are maintained, effects, etc.
                                        • 17. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                                          Jason & Jeron,

If this causes you so much grief, why not use another work flow?

To put it simply, you said you have a clip in your time line, let's say on V1 and the audio on A1. You want to keep the audio in A1 but want to use the video from another clip. Unlink the audio and video, delete the video on V1 and insert the video you want to use on V1 or alternatively overlay the other clip on V2, unlink audio and video for that clip and delete the audio part.
                                          • 18. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                            Level 1
                                            Harm Millaard ~ Because all my videos have exhaustive cuts on them, and/or keyframes and effects for each. Do you honestly delete all that work to replace it with another clip and re-cut and keyframe and effect it all?

Not everyone works with perfect video that needs no cuts, sits in one large chunk on the timeline and can be replaced by plopping a single new video in.

As already said, I translate videos to other languages. So when a Japanese voice-over talent takes an extra 3 seconds to say one sentence but says another sentence 10 seconds shorter than the previous, I need to adjust the speed and cuts of my video to fit the words! And I don't want to adjust the same videos over and over because I can't simply relink a translated file due to the AUDIO channel being different, which I'm not using in the first place!

I get a lot of my video back from clients to be used for this stuff. I can't tell them "now make sure you use mono 44khz audio", etc. I just accept the source files they give me and have to make it a part of my workflow to re-output another version of the file with matching audio, because premiere can't reimport it! Not because it's a useful step, it's just a waste! After effects lets me re-link files without caring, and premiere didn't USED to care, so why care when it's not a useful safety measure and is something that creates extra work and hassles for no conceivably good reason?

Maybe I'm wrong, and if so I'd love to know what workflow I should be using, because I don't see anything wrong with what I'm doing. I adopted the way I do things in premiere out of just using it, having read nothing of common industry design patterns, so I'm certainly subject to be using a bad workflow. But how do I do what I do in the same amount of time (minutes) another way? Re-linking seems to be absolutely perfect in this regard..
                                            • 19. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                              Level 1
                                              > So I have one video with 2 cuts on my timeline, or in other words, 3 seperate clips (0-2 seconds, 2-8 seconds, 8-10 seconds).

Jason, so like I said ages ago, hold down ALT and drag your replacement file onto multiple files you wish to replace.

Or use ALT + SHIFT and drag.

Hint: If you want to select multiple clips use SHIFT. Then do the procedure outlined above.
                                              • 20. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                Level 1
                                                I've done the alt+drag replacement in After Effects my fair share but it still only works on one clip at a time on my timeline. Relink works globally, instantly. Why would I want to alt+drag?

And I know this replaces ALL selected clips on the timeline with this. But what I said forever ago is that it starts the timestamps on each clip at 0 again, it does not retain internal timestamp information.

So in the example above, when I select clips 0-2 seconds and 8-10 seconds and alt+drag a new video on them, I have 2 clips 0-2 seconds and 0-2 seconds, not my desired 0-2 seconds and 8-10 seconds.

Try this for yourself if you don't believe me. It's amazingly useless. Re-linking does not have this problem.
                                                • 21. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                  Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                  The point is, we are experiencing a bug with relink, so we HAVE TO use another work flow.

Where I appreciate the suggestions of workarounds, I don't appreciate having every single step of my workflow that worked great with 2.0, being effected by some sort of bug and having to be changed with a work-around in CS3.

Harm the problem with the work-around (and yours if I understand it), is that we have to touch every edit in every sequence. So far the best work-around to the bugs with relink is to "Replace with Clip".

Now "replace with clip" wouldn't be so bad if I could select every edit in a sequence and choose "replace with clip" one time by picking the master clip in the bin (haven't tried that)...

"If this causes you so much grief, why not use another work flow?"

For me it isn't this one case where relink doesn't work, in general CS3 is giving me so much grief with every single step of my workflow, it looks like I'm probably going to be forced to used a different NLE, but I'm trying to stick it out through the end of an entire project to decide (if I can). My latest problem is crashing when trying to use a multi-cam clip in a sequence.

I've already gotten past this particular issue by starting over with a new project. I only joined in this thread to let Jason know he wasn't the only one experiencing the bugs with relink.

I normally don't need to use "Relink" unless it is to relink to the original clip that got moved.
                                                  • 22. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                    Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                    Jason, we are experiencing a bug with relink.

Harm and Howard are offering help by suggesting work-arounds and I for one am grateful for the help ;)

(Arguing whether or not the bug should be there is a moot point. It is a given that we will have to workaround the bug or change our workflow to accomodate it.)

I've already reported the bug to Adobe. You should do the same.
                                                    • 23. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Jason you shoot down every attempt I try to help you.

I am sorry I have nothing more to give.
                                                      • 24. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                        Level 1
                                                        I sort of thought I was pointing out either a bug or a 'safety measure' that needs some taming by posting here in the first place haha.

If anything here is hard to understand, maybe I should just make a screen capture example of it *shrug*. I thought it was easy to explain but perhaps words are a poor medium to explain something like video with ;).

I'll work on it..
                                                        • 25. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Howard ~ You have in your example the EXACT PROBLEM! Do you notice that all 3 clips you replaced start at 0 seconds? Why isn't the in point considered in that replacement?

Replace clip only works on "wholly" replaced clips. If you have any cuts, you cannot use this feature unless you expect each cut to start at 0 seconds.
                                                          • 26. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Jason, for the record try drag using ALT & SHIFT to replace a clip.

Using SHIFT & ALT takes the In Point into consideration. Just see what it does for you...?

EDIT: I took away my example.
                                                            • 27. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                              Level 1
                                                              It does, does it?

No, it doesn't.

Here is an example holding alt+shift (which does exactly the same thing as just alt):

OMG Example: alt+shift replace versus relink

This is just a clip, 10 seconds, with a number on the frame indicating what second it is for reference. Notice what happens when I replace clip. It ZEROs out the in-point, restarting at 1 where it should be 8.

edit:

I put the last part in out of spite.. Just showing that relinking a file with differing audio, although identical video, is denied. So stupid! In this example, audio is obviously irrelevant, and Premiere decided it's not permissible. IMHO, premiere should warn me about it, but let me do it and erase the audio from the timeline. If I didn't want to do that, that's my fault at that point, not premiere.

I don't need training wheels.
                                                              • 28. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Ok Jason,

When I use ALT it merely replaces the clip at 00:00:00:00.

If I use ALT + SHIFT and my In Point in the clip was 00:00:19:12, the replaced file uses 00:00:19:12 as an In Point.

Works over multiple clips based on their relative In Points.

Beyond what I have tried to help you with, and since you do not need training wheels, I cannot offer you any more help.
                                                                • 29. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                  Jeron Coolman Level 1
                                                                  Jason,

I've tried three different ways to relink my clips and I get a different result each time.

1. Relink the way you showed. Make media offline in PPro UI, then relink to other clip. I get a dialog box like you did stating it couldn't because of the audio file differences.

2. Move the clips then open the project. I get the dialog box for relink to find the media. Point to the new media, then get unexpected results.

3. Replace the clips with the new clips giving them the same name, then open the project. Get even flakier results :)

The only consistent result I get is #1 where it pops up the dialog box saying you can't relink it because the audio is different.

Numbers 2 and 3 produce various weird results. Sometimes #2 gives the dialog from #1 and sometimes it appears to work until it decides to "flake out". I never got a dialog with method 3, but I get flaky results nonetheless.

Maybe 2 or 3 will work for you?

I did notice something interesting when I was pursuing this problem, that #1 and #2 produced different results. I would have thought relink would have been the same whether the user invoked it from a bin or whether the open project process invoked it...
                                                                  • 30. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    Howard Cromwell ~ I tried holding shift first and then alt, alt and then shift, alt then dragging and applying shift, shift then dragging and applying alt (didn't work at all), and none of these methods did anything different at all.

I didn't try control, perhaps that's it?

And what I mean by training wheels is I don't need premiere warning me the audio is different as a safety measure. I mean I should be left to make a decision about that, not premiere refuse to do it. They need to take the training wheels off premiere.

Jeron Coolman ~ It's only a feature if it serves a purpose and yes, to me, it should be an identical dialog. I then also equate it to being a bug or something missed in beta testing.

I suspect it'll be addressed in a subsequent patch..
                                                                    • 31. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                      Jason, Howard has helped you a thousand times!!
                                                                      • 32. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                        >They need to take the training wheels off premiere.

Or you need to make sure the clips match in type.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5
                                                                          I am inclined to agree that it ought to be possible to replace a clip with a video that has a different type audio track, but only after being warned. I don't mind the warning, but I can see a reason to allow me to override the option.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            I did a test with subclips, you can relink a subclip to a new clip with no problem. I offlined a HDV clip with audio and relinked it with an uncompressed mov file with no audio. If you turn all of your master footage into subclips from the beginning of the project and edit the subclips, you could then relink the subclips to new footage. If you don't use scene detect, you would only have a few clips to turn into subclips, which should be very fast using shortcuts.

KMS
                                                                            • 35. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              Tilda ~ Just watch the little movie I posted. Unfortunately you're as wrong as he is.

Jim Simon ~ K, why? If you can give me a rational reason as to why, then I'll digress. Otherwise this post serves as a simple request to reconsider this recent change. If you don't like it, you need not respond at all.

Steven Gotz ~ That's all I'm saying.. I think most people here are aquainted with video editing and fully understand the ramifications of their choices. I don't like software making a choice for me that impeeds my workflow and adds extra steps in the way of caution (or limited functionality).

It's either that it's a safety measure, or more likely, the coders fell short of supporting it. I'm a coder myself, been one for 20 years, and there's never enough time for everything. But this is something that's becoming very annoying.

KMS ~ That's useful information! Thank you, I will try working with some subclips!
                                                                              • 36. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                > Unfortunately you're as wrong as he is.

Jason, I am not wrong I was merely trying to help you but you shot down every attempt of mine to help you.

I am sorry if my answers were not to your satisfaction. However my solutions were based on fact.

See here.
                                                                                • 37. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                  >Jim Simon ~ K, why?

Cause it works. I've no issue with things changing for the better in the future, but I'm a practical man. For now, my suggestion will solve the issue, no?
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                                    Level 1
                                                                                    Howard Cromwell ~ I appreciate the effort but I've told you the same thing in every response. It doesn't work for me.. You haven't suggested anything else, just re-iterated that which I've already gone to the length of making a video to show you that it doesn't work.

Is there anything I need to enable in preferences or some workspace 'mode' (that I don't know about) that I need to be in to make alt+shift work? Believe me, I wish that would work for me. But it doesn't.

Now, can you believe, perhaps even for one minute, that I just might be accurate in saying it doesn't work for me? Did anyone else in here try alt+shift? Does anyone else know why this wouldn't work for me? Was it bolluxed in the last premiere patch and has nobody else downloaded it (I did)?

I don't -like' the relink method, because I need to 'globally' change a video to do it. If I use this video elsewhere and I don't want to change it, then I need to deal with the consequences. The 'replace clip' method removes that problem, so I really want it to work, but it doesn't.

Jim Simon ~ Your suggestion is to make sure the clips match in type.. But this creates work. This means when I receive source files that vary, I need to convert them all. Do you not desire being able to remove this extra step and have premiere use whatever file you specify?

One of the first things I noticed about After Effects was this very thing. I could use all different files of different types and sizes without worrying about it, and AE renders them all at max quality. I'm free to just create. I am not bogged down by preparing (duplicating) source files. Why does Premiere require this? Why not accept anything I throw at it, like AE?

I think you and I both understand if you replace a video with something else different, it will change how it appears and/or sounds. Do you need premiere forcibly restricting you from doing this as a safety measure, or would you rather have premiere warn you but allow you to proceed?

I would prefer Premiere act as it used to, and allow me to (and it didn't even warn me before). And being I desire to remove these unnecessary safety measures imposed on me, I'm posting here about it. How else would you suggest I see how others feel about the issue? That's what I'm doing here. I'm not just going to let a progress friendly enhancement fall out of premiere that obstructs workflow without even mentioning it'd be nice to go back to how it was, I'd rather post about it.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Annoying Bug ('feature'), requiring video to have audio (or not) to import!!
                                                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                                      > Did anyone else in here try alt+shift?

Alt Shift replacing clips while maintaining in/out points works as advertised. yes. Ive tested it as Im sure you have.

It doesnt work how You want it to work; that is replacing multiple clips with one clip and having the one replacement clip cut up with in/out points of 1 or more original clips. Perhaps this would be a good feature, but i dont think it is intended or advertised to work to do this.

So if you can articulate how this would be a good feature; put in a feature request for this.

Just ranting that it doesnt work is very misleading, and annoying.

Curt
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next