10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 2:38 PM by Jim_Simon

What export settings?

Level 1
      So I have an hour and ten min project to export to encore I have kinda narrowed done my pgc error to only happening with the 2 pass vbr. What bit rate do you guys suggest? and vbr or cbr? Want the best quality with avoiding the 2 pass! Any suggestions would be great.
        • 1. Re: What export settings?
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          It is unlikely that one vs two-pass has anything to do with an Encore pgc error, but, hey, if it works, go for it. Others have said that they see little benefit to the 2pass, so do a short test of each and see what you think.

Google bit rate calculators to estimate the size you need.
          • 2. Re: What export settings?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            If it were me, I'd use 1 pass VBR with Min=1.5, Target=6, Max=8.
            • 3. Re: What export settings?
              Level 1
              thanks for the suggestions
              • 4. Re: What export settings?
                Level 1
                Jim - this max value , is it determined by encore or the burner itself? I inevietably recieve errror when attemting to go beyond 7.5
                • 5. Re: What export settings?
                  Ruud Blauw Level 1
                  >I inevietably recieve errror when attemting to go beyond 7.5

What does the error message say?
                  • 6. Re: What export settings?
                    Level 1
                    @ruud

it's the dreadful

"input contract violation error"

..\src\time.ccp-105

as far as i get it this error relates directly to bitrate-problems/conflicts
                    • 7. Re: What export settings?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >this max value , is it determined by encore or the burner itself?

Neither, you set it in Premiere. I've never gotten any errors using the suggested settings, so they are an unlikely cause of that error message.
                      • 8. Re: What export settings?
                        Level 1
                        @Jim :"Neither, you set it in Premiere" ouch,- this I know of course Jim.
                        I can lower the bitrate values(target ~5 , max 6.5-7) and produce adequate DVD's -- but then knowing and forced to accept that I have not used "the whole potential" - if you see what I mean. There seem to be a direct relation between bitrate values and this error.
                        Pressing bitrate -> crash :-(
                        So my question basically sums up
                        i) does Encore in any way "see" the capacity of my burner and as such adopts to what migth be inferior performance
                        ii)or should I principally handle this as an software issue to be solved or
                        iii)maybe give in and upgrade my burner ?
                        • 9. Re: What export settings?
                          Ruud Blauw Level 1
                          Your burner doesn't know what bit rate is in the data being burned. :)

If you set Encore's transcoding settings to "automatic" then it will take the capacity of the DVD disc into account, but not any capacity (whatever that should be) of your burner. It seems most likely that the error is caused by some kind of software problem.
                          • 10. Re: What export settings?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >There seem to be a direct relation between bitrate values and this error.

That's the part I question, as I've never had that error and I use these settings all the time.

>does Encore in any way "see" the capacity of my burner and as such adopts to what migth be inferior performance

Only if you export out a DV file and set Encore to use Automatic transcode. In that case it'll set the bitrate as high as it can and still make the program fit on the disk.

But in my scenario, you're using Premiere to export the MPEG file directly. Encore just imports the thing and uses it as is.

>should I principally handle this as an software issue to be solved

Possibly.

>maybe give in and upgrade my burner

Depends on the model you have now. If you go this route, Sony/NEC just released an update to the model I have, their new 7240S under the Optiarc brand. I have the 7200S and with the right media, this burner actually produces disks with fewer errors than the pressed disks from Hollywood.