5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2009 5:57 PM by Bill Seper

Exporting to DVD

I am exporting several very large movie files to DVDs. Is there any automatic preset in Premiere or Encore that will squeeze the files to fit onto single DVDs with the highest possible quality without having to tweak bit rate settings, etc.?
        • 1. Re: Exporting to DVD
          Ruud Blauw Level 1
          The default for Encore's transcoding is "automatic" - i.e. it will adjust the bit rate to fit your project on a DVD. (This is for video that hasn't already been transcoded to MPEG-2.)

How large is large? How many hours and minutes are you planning to squeeze on a DVD?
          • 2. Re: Exporting to DVD
            Level 1
            Around 2 - 2 1/2 hours. When I check the project, I get the message that the project exceeds the disk capacity. Will it still fit the movie on with the "automatic" option set?
            • 3. Re: Exporting to DVD
              Phil Griffith Level 2
              I think you might be pushing it with 2 1/2 hours. Even if it went on the disc, the quality might take a big hit. I would look into dual layer if you can.
              • 4. Re: Exporting to DVD
                Ruud Blauw Level 1
                If the video hasn't been transcoded to MPEG-2 yet and if you set Encore to compress the audio to Dolby Digital (AC3) then even 150 minutes should fit on a single layer disc. Not in brilliant quality, but it should fit.

When Encore is telling you that the project exceeds disc capacity then some of the requirements haven't been met. My first guess would be that you have imported part of your video in Encore, transcoded and then imported some more video. That way Encore would have already used up the available disc space for the first batch of clips.
                • 5. Re: Exporting to DVD
                  Bill Seper Level 1
                  I've managed to fit well over 4 hours (the first two Matrix films) onto one 4.7G DVD using DVD Shrink with excellent results. It's a free download if you can find it.