8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2007 2:21 AM by (Rajesh_Parmar)

How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project

Level 1
      I'm trying to import a completed HDV project into a DV project in order to produce a SD DVD. As I understand, the motion scale feature produces a higher quality conversion of the HDV frame size (to DV) than exporting directly to the Adobe media encoder within the HDV project and of course permits zooming and re-framing.

I have tried importing the PP CS3 HDV project file into a new DV project but it's sequence gets rescaled to 720 x 480. This happens even though the "Default scale to frame size" option in the DV project is not checked. Although the individual imported clips remain at 1920 x 1080 resolution I was hoping to incorporate the edits from the HDV project rather than having to re-edit all of the imported HDV clips.

Can this be done? If so, I would appreciate some tips on how to go about this.
        • 1. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Leave default scale to frame size checked, import and put on the time line. CS3 no longer has the problems with softening that were in CS2.
          • 2. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
            Level 1
            I still must be doing something wrong. After keeping the "Scale to frame size" checked and importing the HDV project's "prproj" file into a DV project. I get a "Sequence 01" showing in the project panel and below this a folder bearing the name of the project I imported. When I expand the imported project's folder it shows another "Sequence 01" and a list of all of the HDV clips associated with the imported HDV project.

When I drag the "Sequence 01" from the imported folder to the timeline it brings in the entire HDV project as a single, zoomed in, 720 x 480 sequence. Using the "Motion" scale option to resize (zoom out)the video frame to 45% results in a black border around the frame in the program monitor.

If I drag a single clip onto the timeline from the imported project's clip list and then scale it to 45%, I get the full HDV frame showing in the program monitor. This happens regardless of whether the "Scale to frame size" is checked or not prior to importing.

Thoughts on this?
            • 3. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
              Eddie Lotter Level 4
              >When I drag the "Sequence 01" from the imported folder

There's your problem. Don't drag it. Double-click on a sequence to open it in the timeline. If you drag it then PPro is treating it as a clip.

Cheers
              Eddie

Forum FAQ
              Premiere Pro Wiki
              - Over 250 frequently answered questions
              - Over 100 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              • 4. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                > When I drag the "Sequence 01" from the imported folder to the timeline it brings in the entire HDV project as a single, zoomed in, 720 x 480 sequence. Using the "Motion" scale option to resize (zoom out)the video frame to 45% results in a black border around the frame in the program monitor.

The first step is good. Then do not use the Motion anymore, it is unnecessary. It has already been sized to your project settings. If you decrease the size to 45% you create black borders.
                • 5. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
                  Level 1
                  Eddie, thanks for the heads-up on double clicking versus dragging the sequence. That did the job for me.

Harm, also appreciate your helping hand but realize that the scenario I was describing did not provide me with a scaled down version of the entire HDV frame. I was getting a 720 x 480 window centered on the 1920 x 1080 HDV frame. So the clips were already zoomed in. When I attempted to zoom out with the motion feature to show the full HDV frame I was getting the black border.

I'm not sure how the "Scale to frame size" option in preferences is supposed to work when checked but it did not scale the imported HDV project down to 720 x 480, it actually cropped it down to 720 x 480.
                  • 6. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
                    neil wilkes Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    I tend to use the Cineform HDV codec (Aspect HD) and export the HDV film to an interim Cineform AVI file.
                    Import this into an SD project & off I go.

If the HDV file is from a Mac, there are issues as the Mac HDV codec is not cross-platform, so the film will need to be encoded as DVCPROHD and then opened in QUicktime (with the DV Film Raylight Decoder installed) and exported out as SD. At least, this is what works reliably for me.
                    • 7. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      > I'm trying to import a completed HDV project into a DV project in order to produce a SD DVD.

So you create a new SD project with 720x480 resolution, import the HDV project with scale to frame size on and you are done. I tried it and it works.
                      • 8. Re: How to Import a HDV Project into a DV Project
                        My friend has FCP while i am working on a hdv(pal) project using PremierePro 2.0 (Windows). Is there anyway by which my media files can be opened in FCP without encoding to QT or mpeg?