3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2009 6:35 AM by the_wine_snob

avi files & Premiere Pro CS3

I just picked up one of those little Flip Ultras. They produce avi files and the documentation and support from Flip says that dvds can be created in third party software by importing the avi files.

So I did that with my CS3 version ... nada. I see little black boxes with a yellow line running through them.

Do I need to do something special to work with these avi files in Premiere Pro and then export to DVD?
        • 1. Re: avi files & Premiere Pro CS3
          Ruud Blauw Level 1
          >They produce avi files...

AVI is just a "wrapper". What matters is which codec is inside that wrapper. With GSpot (freeware) you can check which codec was used by Flip.
          • 2. Re: avi files & Premiere Pro CS3
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
            The Flip uses MPEG4 encoding. Likely it is a flavor of the DivX codec, which can be used in an .avi wrapper.

Premiere doesn't play nice with DivX.
            • 3. Re: avi files & Premiere Pro CS3
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Kristin,

You might get some info on using a Flip, if you stop by the Premiere Elements forum. There are a couple of entries in their FAQ's (read the FAQ's for all versions, as they have never been combined). The steps for dealing with those files will carry over pretty much to PrP, as well. Link: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb574e6/

Also, there are many discussions on Flip cameras in the main forum articles (search for "Flip"), and also on www.muvipix.com, in their "Community" forums. You will need to register (free), and not need to "subscribe," unless you want to download some of their Assets.

Flip cameras present some challenges. I stongly suggest doing some reading, before you attempt a Project from one.

Good luck,

Hunt