5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2009 10:49 AM by Stan Jones

Can TWO Editors Work On The SAME Project Separately ??

Have Premier CS3 on XP

We have a heavy edit this week for a film festival.

Can one editor work on part 1 on one PC machine...and another editor work on part 2 on a mac...and then somehow... be able to transfer the mac timeline over to the PC machine for final work.

What special gottcha tricks do I need to know???

We can get both editors to use the same clip names. They will be on different drives...but the same structure...the same directories and filenames exactly on each drive. The Mac version would copy the master clips folder im thinking. Both machines...same raw materials.

Im just concerned that we may forget to do an important step... and not be able to successfully bring all the edit timeline pieces over so they point correctly.

Thanks for your critical tips and tricks

Susan
        • 1. Re: Can TWO Editors Work On The SAME Project Separately ??
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          Should work OK, as long as you're using the same media source for both platforms/projects. In other words, you need to be working with something like DV AVIs or QT DV MOVs with both. One platform will suffer because it's not as tuned to work with the other platform's media, but it's doable. You could capture the same media to each platforms native media (DV AVI on PC, QT DV MOV on Mac), but relinking once you transfer from Mac to PC will be a nightmare. If you're working with something like P2 MXF, though, this will be a breeze--just point to the proper directory and everything will be fine. This is a major benefit of PPro's native handling of such media, IMO.

You could also copy the media over, wholesale, from Mac to PC--I think this is what you're saying now that I'm reading your post again. I'm guessing that in this case, both machines would NOT be working with the same material originally, correct? Just note that you may have file system incompatibilities going from Mac to PC. Mac uses the HFS file system, whereas your PC is probably using NTFS. FAT32 is common to both systems (can be read/written on each) but you're limited in supported file sizes to less than 4GB. If you've got an HFS-formatted external drive you'd be moving to the PC, I recommend HFS Explorer. It will allow you to mount and extract data from your HFS-formatted disc on the PC. There is also MacDrive, which is more tightly integrated with PC (disks show up as native filesystems in Explorer) but it's not free. Time might be an issue, though, and MacDrive might be the better option. There is a free limited trial, I believe.

Beyond that, just import the Mac-generated project into the PC-generated project, and relink your files. BE SURE TO DO THIS ON A COPY OF YOUR PC PROJECT, just in case the unthinkable happens. From there, the projects should be successfully merged, and you can proceed with final assembly. I would suggest keeping your additional timeline items to a minimum in the Mac project (ie. audio, graphics, titles, etc) just to eliminate possible transfer headaches. I really don't think you'll face an issue, but it could wreck your day if something goes haywire.

Finally, and most importantly, test this out if you value your sanity. This is not something you want to simply "hope" works without any sort of field trial. This should work perfectly well, but I assume to responsibility if it does not!

Good luck...
          • 2. Re: Can TWO Editors Work On The SAME Project Separately ??
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Depending on the exact workflow that you wish, another way *could* be to have editor 1 (lets say they are on PC) work on the earlier parts of the film, while editor 2 (Mac) is working on the latter. Each would Export (knowing that one machine will suffer, as Colin states) the finished edited piece(s), for final assembly. I do similar all of the time with combined efforts, though most of the time, were all on PC. Might not be as elegant a solution, as what you hope for, but works.

Good luck,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Can TWO Editors Work On The SAME Project Separately ??
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              > One platform will suffer because it's not as tuned to work with the other platform's media, but it's doable.

I'm surprised there isn't at least one response saying, "Are you crazy?" My assumption is that you will be under time pressure. If you have not already run a test, using the cameras, capture method, and workflow for sharing the files and/or project, I think you are asking for trouble. Colin recommends this at the end of his post, but I'm not sure his optimism is warranted. There have been a number of posts in which users had trouble finding a way for a PC to use a mac based clip and vice versa. The better method is to stay on all mac or all pc for this project, right?

You say nothing about the media to be used; doesn't anyone think that will matter?

If you were finalizing a segment on one machine and have tested that the export from that machine can be used on the other, I would not be as concerned.
              • 4. Re: Can TWO Editors Work On The SAME Project Separately ??
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >The better method is to stay on all mac or all pc for this project

Correction:

The better method is to stay on all mac or all pc for this project
                • 5. Re: Can TWO Editors Work On The SAME Project Separately ??
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  > all pc for this project

Why didn't I see that coming! :)